Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 990 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2019, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #736
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They are making cameras to appeal primarily to us Pentaxians.
actually they seem to appeal primarily to the Pentaxians they can see, the ones who live in Japan.

07-12-2019, 06:04 AM   #737
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Pentax did test the market of hipsters wanting more than their phone could do. The product was the K-S1 and seems to have failed (I actually bought one because it was tiny!). I don't think they'll try again, they got their answer.
They missed the hip mark with that glowing jellyfish, sorry

I think they should keep the KP line, make it even cooler (like the KP-J but get rid of the stupid coffin ), bring in new WR and quiet lenses, bring in the hybrid EVF or a whole new funky interchangeable viewfinder system a-la LX (but still some hybrid innovation) - people will go bonkers
07-12-2019, 06:22 AM   #738
Pentaxian

Canon think the market will bottom out in two, three years time at between four and six million hardcore enthusiasts annually.

People lukewarm about picture taking won't be buying a camera - MILC or DSLR.
Except Leicaists.
07-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #739
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Canon think the market will bottom out in two, three years time at between four and six million hardcore enthusiasts annually.
I see more R&D spending and promotional efforts in 2018/2019 than I've ever seen in the last 20 years. So either the reality of the camera market isn't what's being said, or shareholder will have to take their losses.

07-12-2019, 06:55 AM   #740

Canon research clearly doesn't think that group exists anymore.
Can you provide the source?
I'd say the entire Canon M system exists for that reason specifically.
07-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #741
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
Can you provide the source?

I'd say the entire Canon M system exists for that reason specifically.
Sure, it's here ... https://photorumors.com/2019/01/27/canon-sees-a-grim-future-for-the-camera-b...ext-two-years/

There is no longterm future in those M cameras and the new RF lenses don't work on them!

It has been claimed that Canon is suspending all EF lens development, BTW.
07-12-2019, 07:32 AM - 3 Likes   #742
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Except Leicaists.
(Laughs) I forgot about the rich doctors who buy them to display in their study!

To that point - niche companies are better able to handle this downturn than the higher volume manufacturers.

A Japanese faux Leica isn't the worst direction to take Pentax.

That's a valid survival route but it leaves behind many longtime customers who have never spent a thousand dollars on either a body or a lens and are not about to start.

07-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #743
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I see more R&D spending and promotional efforts in 2018/2019 than I've ever seen in the last 20 years. So either the reality of the camera market isn't what's being said, or shareholder will have to take their losses.
Oh, yeah, you'd have to be nuts to lend money to or buy into a consumer camera company.

07-12-2019, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #744
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no longterm future in those M cameras and the new RF lenses don't work on them!
EOS-M is how Canon learned the MILC market. The first camera was similar to, and had results similar to, the Pentax K-01 ..... but instead of giving up as Pentax did, Canon kept working at it. The early variants were successful only in Asia. but recent versions seem to be selling well everywhere. I'm guessing Canon is interested in what EOS-M cameras they can sell this year. I'm not sure that both the Rebel series and the EOS-M series have long-run futures, but I'm guessing Canon will allow the market to decide which one(s) will continue.
07-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #745
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m going to guess that the Canon mirrorless is the one they’ll keep if they keep any entry-level camera.

At some point, it becomes cheaper to make than any SLR because of the absence of moving parts...

But they could still upgrade the viewfinder and specs for higher end models.

The camera then becomes almost completely modular.

I don’t think Pentax is there...

-Eric
07-12-2019, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #746
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In 2 years Rebel series will be gone, superceded by streamlined M-series.
90D, 5D, 1Dx may be the last surviving DSLR lines.
EF new lens development long since stopped.
07-12-2019, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #747
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don’t care how much money you make; you can’t take it with you.
If I can't take it with me, I ain't going.
07-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #748
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Some (younger?) photographers don't even use the viewfinder on mirrorless.
If you were an older photographer you will know why you want an EVF, only OVF/EVF can produce a view apparently couple feet away from the eyes to allow comfortable viewing, you don't want to hold your camera couple feet away to read the LCD, this not only look weird but also unstable and washout by sunlight, so that I insist to get a EVF model, youngters are different they can focus very close to the LCD.
07-23-2019, 01:28 AM   #749
Pentaxian

Now more official food for endless hours of speculation and wishful thinking 😄
Sony shows off specs of six full-frame sensors, including a Quad Bayer sensor: Digital Photography Review
07-23-2019, 02:51 AM   #750
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Now more official food for endless hours of speculation and wishful thinking ��Sony shows off specs of six full-frame sensors, including a Quad Bayer sensor: Digital Photography Review
These are different kind of design trade-offs. I feel like image sensors technology doesn't improve much overall.