Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 990 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2019, 10:01 AM - 4 Likes   #886
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Myself, I am now happily fully converted to Canon and Sony, but am looking to go fully Canon, because I'd rather shoot just one system.
Don't forget that Nikon has the PF glass that Canon don't have. It is risky to put all eggs in the same basket, in case another brand offers some feature that Canon don't have, you'll be missing out the best available gear of the moment. To reduce the risk of missing out, I'd keep Sony and also invest in Nikon and Panasonic, so I'd be sure to have the best gear.

08-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #887
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Don't forget that Nikon has the PF glass that Canon don't have.
Canon has similar technology called "Diffractive Optics" (DO) in some lenses, for example Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM - Lenses - Camera & Photo lenses - Canon Europe
08-16-2019, 11:49 AM - 5 Likes   #888
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It may have been your post, but certainly not only. I remember an extract from an interview with a lady working for Pentax in the USA or Canada, and she said something along the lines of "look for a high end APS-C camera in the not too distant future". That has been some 10-12 months ago now....
Pentax just has a peculiar sense of "not too distant future"...
Anyhow, I hope they simply don't let the brand fully whither due to inertia.
Myself, I am now happily fully converted to Canon and Sony, but am looking to go fully Canon, because I'd rather shoot just one system.

Chris
And then maybe you can move on to some other camera forum......Wouldn't that be nice?
08-16-2019, 01:48 PM - 2 Likes   #889
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Don't forget that Nikon has the PF glass that Canon don't have. It is risky to put all eggs in the same basket, in case another brand offers some feature that Canon don't have, you'll be missing out the best available gear of the moment. To reduce the risk of missing out, I'd keep Sony and also invest in Nikon and Panasonic, so I'd be sure to have the best gear.
Having more than one basket gets very costly soon - which is why I moved to Pentax, I stopped purchasing Canon.

08-16-2019, 09:27 PM - 6 Likes   #890
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Chris
I'm not sure that all this bouncing around between brands has helped you, Chris. You went from Olympus if I'm not mistaken, to Pentax where you shot with the 560mm to Sony to Canon.

You might justify it and the cost in a way the rest of us couldn't, particularly the damage you took in terms of image quality.

Here you are on DPR talking about the unfortunate replacement of your DA560 with the Canon 400 and 1.4TC:

"With the Pentax DA560, admittedly a telescope design lens, I had become used to very clear and defined images of distant subjects, even allowing significant crop and still remail clear and well defined. With the 400DOII, which has the disadvantage of a TC to get to 560mm, I did not expect similar performance, but still better than what I am getting: glowy edges when zooming in and what seems to be a very thin sharp focal plane, outside of which things quickly turn "messy".
This may sound a bit harsh, but I am comparing to a high performance 560mm telescope design lens with first class coatings. I may have expected too much from an optic designed for portability and using diffractive optics. I could have known that I should not have sold my Pentax DA560! Inside of its parameters, the 400DOII is a fantastic lens. In future, I will not get around buying a second super tele for optimal distant shooting at the level I was used to with the Pentax DA560."
08-16-2019, 09:35 PM - 2 Likes   #891
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It may have been your post, but certainly not only. I remember an extract from an interview with a lady working for Pentax in the USA or Canada, and she said something along the lines of "look for a high end APS-C camera in the not too distant future".
So none of them said 2020, but you did anyway. That's very naughty of you.
08-16-2019, 09:49 PM - 1 Like   #892
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taks Quote
In JPT's defense. It was Tanaka-san's speculation. I think JPT's translation was quite accurate. Watching the discussion between Iwasaki-san and Tanaka-san on youtube lead me to believe the K3 replacement may be out early 2020 if not end of 2019. But Clakers is right, Iwasaki-san did not confirm and so no promises were made by Ricoh.
I too appreciate all of your reports, JPT
Yeah, let's not get the two mixed up. One is a celebrity photographer, feisty and attention getting by Japanese standards as much as I can make out, and the other is a traditional dignified corporate executive who definitely gave no dates.

In this disastrous camera market, companies have to be quick footed to survive and not commit to anything that will result in a loss.

08-16-2019, 10:24 PM - 3 Likes   #893
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
And then maybe you can move on to some other camera forum......Wouldn't that be nice?
And miss out on the greatest (and friendliest) photography forum in the world? Nah.
08-17-2019, 01:02 AM   #894
Banned

Photos: Gallery
So no date or timeframe is set for a new camera coming!

Just keep calm and wait.
08-17-2019, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #895
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So no date or timeframe is set for a new camera coming!
But that will happen, allowing people to preorder, of course.

08-17-2019, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #896
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm not sure that all this bouncing around between brands has helped you, Chris. You went from Olympus if I'm not mistaken, to Pentax where you shot with the 560mm to Sony to Canon.

You might justify it and the cost in a way the rest of us couldn't, particularly the damage you took in terms of image quality.

Here you are on DPR talking about the unfortunate replacement of your DA560 with the Canon 400 and 1.4TC:

"With the Pentax DA560, admittedly a telescope design lens, I had become used to very clear and defined images of distant subjects, even allowing significant crop and still remail clear and well defined. With the 400DOII, which has the disadvantage of a TC to get to 560mm, I did not expect similar performance, but still better than what I am getting: glowy edges when zooming in and what seems to be a very thin sharp focal plane, outside of which things quickly turn "messy".
This may sound a bit harsh, but I am comparing to a high performance 560mm telescope design lens with first class coatings. I may have expected too much from an optic designed for portability and using diffractive optics. I could have known that I should not have sold my Pentax DA560! Inside of its parameters, the 400DOII is a fantastic lens. In future, I will not get around buying a second super tele for optimal distant shooting at the level I was used to with the Pentax DA560."
Well, it goes to show that I have a sound degree of appreciation of the Pentax products.
However, it is one side of the story. My current Canon 7DII+400DOII+1.4tc can not match the K3+DA560 in bright light long distance IQ, and it cannot match the low shutter speeds and downright clarity that the DA560 enabled due to its high light transmission (due to few lens elements). But the 400DOII is much better corrected, and totally free of the LoCa that was a really weak point with the DA560. Also the color rendering of the Canon lens is much more subtle, the DA560 was a bit on the bold side.
Largest improvement though is performance wise. The 400DOII has an AF motor and IS module that are so far ahead of Pentax, that there isn't even a comparison.
I now get shots that were impossible with Pentax due to the lack of AF responsiveness and the lack of instant reliable AF.
So take it for what you want, had Pentax released a K3 successor sooner, with solid AF performance, I would still be shooting Pentax. As it is though, the way is forward, and while things are slowing down at Pentax, things are speeding up at Canon with the transition to mirrorless.
08-17-2019, 02:22 AM   #897

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But that will happen, allowing people to preorder, of course.
I don’t know what are Pentax’s Marketing staff doing, other brands at least know showing some plan to give their users confidence, including new products under development.

But see how “fantastic” does Pentax do? Mr.Tanaka said on Twitter: don’t hope it this year

You don’t give users hope, it’s ok, but why do the thing in opposite way? By giving users who love this brand more despair? Very good!

If Pentax doesn’t give us plan or detail this year, which means no any feedback about new apac flagship at all, I gonna shift to Nikon Z7
08-17-2019, 02:32 AM   #898
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Karen the Star Quote
I don’t know what are Pentax’s Marketing staff doing, other brands at least know showing some plan to give their users confidence, including new products under development.
They're doing pretty much what they've been doing for several years now. The last bit of serious marketing I recall (and I may even have imagined this) was for the K-7, during the Hoya days. But, for whatever reason, Ricoh Imaging seems content with minimal to zero marketing.

But see how “fantastic” does Pentax do? Mr.Tanaka said on Twitter: don’t hope it this year

You don’t give users hope, it’s ok, but why do the thing in opposite way? By giving users who love this brand more despair? Very good!
I can see why some folks get a little frustrated with the lack of information, and even a little disappointed when rumours or estimated dates don't translate to actual delivery. But we're all in control of whether we let that turn into despair, which seems disproportionate to me. I can honestly say I've never despaired over a photographic product or lack thereof.

If Pentax doesn’t give us plan or detail this year, which means no any feedback about new apac flagship at all, I gonna shift to Nikon Z7
That would be an interesting switch, though a very different proposition. Still, I'm sure you'd be happy with the Z7 - it seems, from the reports I've read, to be an excellent camera, AF issues aside...
08-17-2019, 02:50 AM   #899
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a query: Are you taking great pictures with your present Pentax? Do they satisfy your needs? Then why worry about what's coming--DSLRs by and large are becoming homogenous in their feature set, ergonomics, etc. However, I was recently at a big box store that sells appliances, phones, electronics & cameras. While there I tested the high end Canon and Nikon you mentioned. The difference is, the Nikon felt 'cheap' and mass produced (I was able to bring my K-1 into the store as they don't sell Pentax), the Pentax felt hand-made, all magnesium, solid. The Nikon felt like a camera that had planned obsolescence written all over it. Did it have a nice feature set, fast AF, etc.? Sure it did. But for $2,900 it felt cheap.and not durable.

The Pentax catalogue of lenses is also quite excellent. If you feel that Pentax isn't putting out new models fast enough and that in itself is a reason to switch, well be honest as to why you're switching. I don't want my camera to control all of my functions, I like the human interaction with the machine. I have previously told many of you that's why I also have a full Leica kit-- I love photography as a hobby as a personal & cathartic avocation. The camera I have on hand is the one I work with. Sometimes it's a K-1, sometimes, the K-5ii (the perfect 16mp 'sweet spot') is in synch with me. Are they the fastest, not on paper, but they're fast to me......That's why old film cameras are so enjoyable to many who enjoy the medium.

The Nikon Z7 is a great camera on paper, but it felt 'soulless' in my hands......
08-17-2019, 02:59 AM   #900
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Something wrong with your KP Karen?