Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2019, 02:45 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
(...)

Sony is rumored to be developing a APS-C version of the A9, and this looks like the type of sensor you would see in that type of camera. If the specifications are real.
Specifications are more than real, they are public information: Sony IMX571 is an off-the-shelf sensor.

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/img/products/IMX571BQR_Flyer.pdf

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
(...)

Hopefully incorporating a new sensor is what's causing the delay in the release of the K-3 replacement.

It wouldn't be the first time Pentax stopped the presses to accommodate a new sensor.
Sony IMX571 is used by Fujifilm in their X-T3 (announced in September 2018) and X-T30 (announced in February 2019).

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
isn't this just the same 26mp sensor used behind the x-trans filter of the fuji X-T3? nothing prototype about it
Yes and yes.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
(...)

I'll note that the only FF sensor listed is 24mp, there's no evidence of the K-1 36mp, so Sony probably does exclusive deals with camera manufacturers that never get offered on that page.
The 36MP FSI sensor one finds in Nikon D800 (announced in February 2012, discontinued) and D810 (announced in June 2014, discontinued), Pentax K-1 (announced in February 2016, discontinued) and K-1 II and Sony Alpha 7R (announced in February 2013, discontinued) is discontinued. Sony Semiconductor Solutions keep on providing units to Ricoh Imaging but don't take any additional orders.

06-14-2019, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
I hope there are new lenses to be able to resolve bumping up pixels as well
The bump in pixels between 24MP and 26 MP is not a particularly big one...
06-14-2019, 02:54 PM - 6 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
(...)

When I am looking through a viewfinder, I want to see what I'm looking at, not view a tiny movie of what I'm looking at. OVF all the way man.
Sportsfinder all the way man: no ground glass focussing screen, no prism nor any optical elements between the world and you.

06-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Sportsfinder all the way man:
how will they adapt that to a DSLR for your needs

06-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #35
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
not view a tiny movie of what I'm looking at.
all I'm saying is "what if Pentax releases a hybrid viewfinder that isn't like viewing a tiny movie?"
I get it you're all "OVF all the way man." but you're judging it before you see it..

maybe you can switch the EVF feature on/off? maybe it views more like a OVF with only hints of an EVF? maybe it's only an OVF with an optional small histogram projected in the corner of the image? maybe it combines the functionality of both worlds where you see the image exactly like an OVF but you get the shutter speed of an EVF? maybe it something more than what you're considering.

why stonewall and make up your mind before you see it?
06-14-2019, 03:33 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I get it you're all "OVF all the way man."
I'm not sure you do get it, I don't need all this fancy EVF rubbish, all I need is a clear OVF, at any given time, I've already decided what exposures I will use, I don't need over lays and other stuff to get in my way.
If it was hybrid, I'd never use it, only OVF.
06-14-2019, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #37
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm not sure you do get it, I don't need all this fancy EVF rubbish, all I need is a clear OVF, at any given time, I've already decided what exposures I will use, I don't need over lays and other stuff to get in my way.
If it was hybrid, I'd never use it, only OVF.
Then go buy yourself a K1000 and be happy shooting the old fashion way.
Otherwise don't stifle innovation. It's innovation that brought the K1000 to the K-3 you're using now.
Am I taking crazy pills?

06-14-2019, 04:05 PM - 5 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

The only 'feature' I'd like in a hybrid viewfinder is some sort of split prism simulator, for use with MF lenses.
06-14-2019, 04:05 PM - 3 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

I don't need to make sense of a hypothetical, I know what I like and that is OVF, even Ricoh/Pentax said they prefer OVF in many interviews.
If I want EVF I have a screen on the back of my K-5 and K-3, but, I use OVF 99.999...% of the time.

When I am looking through a viewfinder, I want to see what I'm looking at, not view a tiny movie of what I'm looking at. OVF all the way man.
I use an OVF 99.99% of the time and don't want to watch tiny movies, either.

But I'd love to have the 1-second shot review appear in the OVF eye-piece so I never have to chimp again.
06-14-2019, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Your definition of 'cutting edge' is quite subjective then.
That is probably true. The technology that Pentax implemented wasn't cutting edge. Features like astrotracer and GPS had been been around and sold as separate modules for several years. Pentax just integrated them into the camera. Sensor based image stabilization first appeared in 2003 and a Minolta camera. Olympus was first to market the pixel-shift. Pentax packs a lot of great features into their cameras and gives the customer a lot of features for the money. Olympus is probably the only company to pack more features into a camera, but a lot of features isn't the same thing as using cutting edge technology.

Hybrid OVF? That would be cutting edge.
Organic Sensor Tech? That would be cutting edge.

I would love to see automatic lens calibration. Nikon put it in the D500..... That should be a standard on DSLRs at this point.
06-14-2019, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a pretty good sensor. The new flagship ASP-C camera from Pentax should be able to satisfy the demands of Pentaxians for some time to come. Could it match the fujifilm X-T3 with 4K video and 11 fps? Snappy AF and we should be happy?
06-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Looks like a pretty good sensor. The new flagship ASP-C camera from Pentax should be able to satisfy the demands of Pentaxians for some time to come. Could it match the fujifilm X-T3 with 4K video and 11 fps? Snappy AF and we should be happy?
Its the same sensor that is in the Fuji XT-3.
06-14-2019, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Its the same sensor that is in the Fuji XT-3.
Yes. We should be able to extrapolate from this a feature set that we can reasonably expect from the new camera.
06-14-2019, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Yes. We should be able to extrapolate from this a feature set that we can reasonably expect from the new camera.
Maybe. Just because the sensor is capable of 4K and 11fps doesn't mean that Ricoh will take advantage of that. That will take an expensive image processor, large buffer, and a fast write speed to get all of that on a card. Ricoh isn't known for speed. IQ, Yes. Build quality, Yes. Ergonomics, Yes. Speed, No.
06-14-2019, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't the KP have on chip PDAF? This wouldn't be the first time Pentax used a chip with embedded PDAF in a DSLR.