Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2019, 10:37 PM - 3 Likes   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Anyway, my overall point is that even though there is a mostly accurate perception of Pentax as being conservative
I thought Pentax left 'conservative' behind a long time ago.

06-14-2019, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by walgarch Quote
If/when they develop, the much wanted, hybrid ovf/evf then they can just slap that in.
An OVF still requires a mirror. What would be the point of a 'mirrorless' camera with a mirror.
06-14-2019, 11:09 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
An OVF still requires a mirror. What would be the point of a 'mirrorless' camera with a mirror?.
The point of a mirrorless with mirror would be to have higher frame rate when the mirror is up , and to auto-calibrate lenses (AF micro-adjust) using the PDAF array on sensor.
06-14-2019, 11:30 PM - 2 Likes   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Why, in 2019, would someone designed a sensor that can't be used in a mirrorless ? They still work just fine in a DSLR. No need for the manufacturers to develop a DSLR-Only line of sensors.
So there wouldnt be any PDAF banding issues?
Id take a nit more IQ than a bit more of video af any time

06-14-2019, 11:32 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Id take a nit more IQ than a bit more of video af any time
Depends what the market asked for. There is always a risk that the market ask for things we don't like.
06-14-2019, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Depends what the market asked for. There is always a risk that the market ask for things we don't like.
I think that "what market wants" ship for pentax has sailed a long time ago and theyd better focus on their core customers
06-14-2019, 11:55 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Sexy, mean looking machine. I like the black grips. But, I would still like the classic design original KP. I want a KP. But there is no reason for me to get me a new camera. I still want it though but still, there is no reason for me to get a new camera. I think I'm going nuts

06-14-2019, 11:55 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
I think that "what market wants" ship for pentax has sailed a long time ago
The way I see it Pentax never intended to jump on that ship with the rest of the sheep, instead steering a course with their own vessel.
06-14-2019, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Sexy, mean looking machine. I like the black grips. But, I would still like the classic design original KP. I want a KP. But there is no reason for me to get me a new camera. I still want it though but still, there is no reason for me to get a new camera. I think I'm going nuts
You are never fully save of having one of you camera dropped. Do you have a backup camera in case of accident?
06-15-2019, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by walgarch Quote
This might sound like a crazy idea, but if Pentax wanted to go mirrorless, why don't they just make a line of mirrorless cameras using the same flange distance as their DSLRs. Manufacturers are realizing smaller isn't better (Looking at you Panasonic S1R). If/when they develop, the much wanted, hybrid ovf/evf then they can just slap that in. Seems like a win/win for everyone?
I think it’s the only way we’ll see a Pentax-badged mirrorless camera in the foreseeable future. They’re simply too small a brand to take a risk on a new mount. Of course, they already tried a mirrorless K-mount in APS-C format with the K-01, but the lack of an EVF and the unusual styling probably contributed to its lack of marketplace success, at least at the initial asking price. You could say that the Q took a different tack, but it was with a much smaller sensor, so a new mount was necessary to make the body small, in keeping with the sensor.

The viewfinder options, as I see them, are:
  1. produce parallel products with the same body and sensor arrangements, but without a mirror and with an EVF in one, and a conventional DSLR for the other;
  2. produce a modular body with replaceable viewfinder (and maybe mirror assembly, but a mirror lock-up would be easier);
  3. produce a single body with a hybrid OVF/EVF; and
  4. produce separate bodies for DSLR and MILC.

My guess would be that 3. would be the most likely, but only if that technology is to be pursued. If not, 1. would be the most economical (as tooling, component and assembly costs would be minimised, at least).

Technophiles would no doubt favour 2. or 3., but I can’t see the sales of a modular system being enough to justify anything other than a very high price.
06-15-2019, 01:53 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The viewfinder options, as I see them, are:
or design an OVF camera with a sliding eyepiece that when moved to the right locks the mirror up and exposes a EVF?
06-15-2019, 02:11 AM - 2 Likes   #72
Pentaxian

The point of a hybrid viewfinder on a DSLR is not to offer a mirrorless option to those wishing for one.
For those people, there is only one way to appease them: making a mirrorless. Yes, that means a new mount with a large diameter and short registration distance (as some Ricoh Imaging official said in a past interview).

A hybrid viewfinder is a way to help DSLRs keep up with the information display capabilities of MILCs, and perhaps to use the viewfinder in movie mode.
It doesn't do much for me (but I reserve further judgement for when I see particular implementations) but others might be delighted. For MILC fans, it would not be enough.
06-15-2019, 02:50 AM - 3 Likes   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax doesn't make their own sensors. They buy them from Sony. That means that they have to purchase something that Sony has for sale, probably with tweaks that Pentax asks for.

Unfortunately, the big "improvements" over the last several years when it comes to sensors, has been read out speed and PDAF points on the sensor. So now you can shoot 12 to 20 fps and do 4K video and auto focus better in mirrorless modes (if your camera brand knows how to use the PDAF points), but the only boosts in still quality have actually come from features like pixel shift/super resolution and the accelerator chip.

As far as cutting edge, I have no idea what that even means, but Sony does seem like a Golden Corral sort of company. If you like a little bit of something (megapixels, faster frame rate, AF points on the sensor) they will dump more and more of that thing on you till you say enough. I do feel as though Pentax is one of the few brands that still does really think about how to improve still image quality (which is why I own a dedicated camera).

Edit: (For those who don't know, the Golden Corral is a buffet restaurant that serves lots of different items of relatively mediocre food).

Last edited by Rondec; 06-15-2019 at 05:38 AM.
06-15-2019, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What would be nice with a hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder combined with on sensor PDAF is the possibility of using EVF with manual focus lenses with focus peaking displayed in the EVF. Would make manual lens focussing so much more certain of where focus falls. Especially good for longer focal lengths/heavier lenses where using live view at arms length is a pain, especially when magnifying the image.
06-15-2019, 04:14 AM   #75
Pentaxian

The fastest AF tracking system would be implemented in a DSLR, without EVF, but with double readout of PDAF signal: readout from the conventional PDAF via mirror, and when the mirror is up read the image sensor to get the PDAF sensor info. In that way, it's better than DSLR and it's better than mirrorless AF, because there isn't any black-out of AF info, and it frees up image frames for taking pictures.

---------- Post added 15-06-19 at 13:19 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
on sensor PDAF is the possibility of using EVF with manual focus lenses with focus peaking displayed in the EVF.
That's already existing with focus peaking in live view mode, using CDAF.