Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The rumored hybrid OVF has been floating around for years. I would love to see Ricoh bring it to market, but Ricoh isn't a cutting edge technology company. The Hybrid OVF is going to be expensive and the K-mount user base isn't exactly known for embracing new and expensive technology.

Wasn't it Pentax who came out with the first dslr with IBIS?

Wasn't it Pentax that was the first to introduce pixel shift?

Wasn't it Pentax that came out with the first affordable MF digital camera with the 645D?

06-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
But we don’t have any good new ones

-Eric
This thread is a good new one.
06-15-2019, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote

Wasn't it Pentax that was the first to introduce pixel shift?

Wasn't it Pentax that came out with the first affordable MF digital camera with the 645D?
No (that was Konica Minolta).
No (that was Olympus Hasselblad).
Yes.
06-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't like 26 mega pixels because it doesn't give a round number of pixels, I much prefer 24Mpixels because it's 4000 x 6000.

"30fps black-out free live view + AE/AF" wow , if you can get a decent photo with that spec, everyone in the world will finger point as you.

---------- Post added 15-06-19 at 16:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
(that was Olympus Hasselblad).Yes.
Hassle-blade always make me think I'm going to have issue with any of their cameras, perhaps why I never bought any of their cameras or lenses.

06-15-2019, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BugsDogsAndSunsets Quote
Id be really excited about that, or even better: open sourcing firmware. Definitely not going to happen though.
Before I retired, I developed software, including for a Defense Contractor, including embedded software, but I don't think I'd be willing to take a chance of getting it wrong and having an important photo not turn out. Spreadsheets basically turned everyone into a programmer - you put formulas into boxes, and then it will work for any data - but some "everyones" didn't know to do appropriate checking of the formulas and were too over-confident to do the same spot-checking of the final results that they would do with a stranger's programming. I know of a college that suffered through a financial crisis when the Financial VP made a spreadsheet error than wasn't discovered until their cash-on-hand wasn't even close to the estimate halfway through the year.
06-15-2019, 08:18 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
it does have to do with information, such as WYSIWYG
That's right - I keep pleading with Pentax, please take my experience, my imagination, my cognitive faculities out of the equation - please don't make me have to think!!

They don't listen though, not yet
06-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #97
Forum Member

Before I retired, I developed software, including for a Defense Contractor, including embedded software, but I don't think I'd be willing to take a chance of getting it wrong and having an important photo not turn out. Spreadsheets basically turned everyone into a programmer - you put formulas into boxes, and then it will work for any data - but some "everyones" didn't know to do appropriate checking of the formulas and were too over-confident to do the same spot-checking of the final results that they would do with a stranger's programming. I know of a college that suffered through a financial crisis when the Financial VP made a spreadsheet error than wasn't discovered until their cash-on-hand wasn't even close to the estimate halfway through the year.

It would definitely void the warranty, but I'm a software guy so I'd probably take that risk.

06-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
That would be Minolta.
06-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
That's right - I keep pleading with Pentax, please take my experience, my imagination, my cognitive faculities out of the equation - please don't make me have to think!!

They don't listen though, not yet
Different people have different needs and want to exercise different talents.
06-15-2019, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #100
Pentaxian

This all depends on your point of view. People who want, perhaps even value, MILC talk about specific benefits of EVF that have nothing to do with "information display" in the sense that you mean it, although it does have to do with information, such as WYSIWYG. Of course, other aspects, such as focus on eyes and high fps also are a factor.
On the contrary, it has everything to do with "information display". Focus peaking is information display; exposure simulation, or what you call WYSIWYG (EVFs, of course, are incapable of real WYSIWYG. Even less than Microsoft Word) are information display.
A lot of mirrorless propaganda is based on what the OVF cannot display. Another part, yes, it's about focus on eyes (in theory very possible with DSLRs too) and fps.
06-15-2019, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the contrary, it has everything to do with "information display". Focus peaking is information display; exposure simulation, or what you call WYSIWYG (EVFs, of course, are incapable of real WYSIWYG. Even less than Microsoft Word) are information display.
A lot of mirrorless propaganda is based on what the OVF cannot display. Another part, yes, it's about focus on eyes (in theory very possible with DSLRs too) and fps.
Once upon a time a camera was a light-tight box with mechanics inside that facilitated a chemical reaction. Now a camera is a small computer that could land on the moon by processing capacity. Digital savvy people and digital-only by life experience people naturally advocate using the capabilities of a computer to its logical optimum. It’s the assumption of the entire global wealthy culture now. It is we human input advocates who actually are out of step with the world. That doesn’t mean the mirror and shutter must go away. It only means there are more choices.

I just wish computer advocates would shut up already for just a minute and let us enjoy the more traditional interface
06-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #102
Pentaxian

EVFs, of course, are incapable of real WYSIWYG. Even less than Microsoft Word
EVF can show image exactly as it will be captured - brightness, colors, dynamic range (*), and DOF - what more do you want to call it "WYSIWYG"???

(*) within limitation of display of course, but much closer than you are getting from OVF, which shows what is, rather than what will be captured.
06-15-2019, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

EVF can show image exactly as it will be captured - brightness, colors, dynamic range (*), and DOF - what more do you want to call it "WYSIWYG"???

(*) within limitation of display of course, but much closer than you are getting from OVF, which shows what is, rather than what will be captured.
This is completely untrue.
The footnote is even laughable - within limitation of display? But that is precisely the reason why you don't have real WYSIWYG (besides the limitation of image capture). The colors are off, dynamic range insufficient, the brightness often works against you, the resolution and general viewing conditions don't help with DoF. Then every frame has an exposure time while your image might have another, and so on.

Of course, the EVF fans will insist that the OVF "fails" at trying to be EVF i.e. at showing an approximation of a default-processed JPEG. And that point is about... information display
P.S. What is might be more important to see than some lousy, low resolution approximation of a default-processed JPEG
06-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Using an Z7, the problem is that the back-light on the EVF is quite strong, so usually the resulting photograph look underexposed compared what you see in the EVF. I don't know if it's possible to adjust EVF parameters, I hope so. What's for sure is that after keeping my eye to the EVF indoor, I almost fell on the floor when I removed my eye from the EVF because I felt like being in the dark for a moment, the time required for my eye to adjust again to the ambient light.

the resolution and general viewing conditions don't help with DoF
the dof isn't the dof of the image except when shooting wide open , because af and ae is done wide open on the lens.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-15-2019 at 11:04 AM.
06-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Wasn't Mamiya ZD first affordable MF dslr?