06-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
But will the evf offer x-ray view😄

06-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The rumored hybrid OVF has been floating around for years. I would love to see Ricoh bring it to market, but Ricoh isn't a cutting edge technology company. The Hybrid OVF is going to be expensive and the K-mount user base isn't exactly known for embracing new and expensive technology.
"Years"?? Their patent was filed within the past two years.
06-15-2019, 07:25 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
"Years"?? Their patent was filed within the past two years.

Did I say the "Patent" has been floating around for years? Canon was rumored to be working on a hybrid OVF back in 2015-2016, but people have been talking about the possibility of a hybrid OVF for a long time.
06-15-2019, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #124
Pentaxian

Did I say the "Patent" has been floating around for years? Canon was rumored to be working on a hybrid OVF back in 2015-2016, but people have been talking about the possibility of a hybrid OVF for a long time.
But the Pentax Patent is new - that is why people here are talking about it.

06-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #125
Veteran Member

But the Pentax Patent is new - that is why people here are talking about it.
Was that patent awarded less than 2 years ago or did they file for the patent less than 2 years ago?
06-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You don't see the exact DoF in a SLR viewfinder either
When you do a DoF preview the lens is stopped down to the aperture used to the actual exposure.

---------- Post added 16-06-19 at 06:51 ----------

View in OVF is with lens wide open, unless you keep your finger on the 'Optical Preview' button. EVF can provide image with aperture closed down to shooting aperture.
EVF also works lens wide open for focusing and metering depending on camera model, it's the same with liveview on DSLR, the camera much use lens aperture that works for exposure time while streaming. Canon EOS R does AF and AE metering wide open, then stop down the lens aperture for the exposure, exactly like a DSLR does.
06-15-2019, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
But will the evf offer x-ray view
X-ray view will be included in a new Pentax camera rumoured to be under development dedicated to street and crowded subway photography. A Japan only release is planned.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-16-2019 at 02:03 AM.
06-15-2019, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #128
Pentaxian

Was that patent awarded less than 2 years ago or did they file for the patent less than 2 years ago?
Ricoh filed for the switchable hybrid viewfinder patent on 15 March 2017 (JP2017-049367). The patent request was published on 27 September 2018 (JP2018-151588A). The patent hasn't been awarded yet.
06-16-2019, 01:59 AM   #129
HYS
Veteran Member

Why just 26 MP? The price, the dynamic properties, the AF properties...? What is the reason?

Last edited by HYS; 06-16-2019 at 05:48 AM.
06-16-2019, 06:21 AM - 2 Likes   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Once upon a time a camera was a light-tight box with mechanics inside that facilitated a chemical reaction. Now a camera is a small computer that could land on the moon by processing capacity. Digital savvy people and digital-only by life experience people naturally advocate using the capabilities of a computer to its logical optimum. It’s the assumption of the entire global wealthy culture now. It is we human input advocates who actually are out of step with the world. That doesn’t mean the mirror and shutter must go away. It only means there are more choices.

I just wish computer advocates would shut up already for just a minute and let us enjoy the more traditional interface
Perhaps we could have a sub-forum where discussion of mirrorless technology and other annoying topics are strictly banned, so as to avoid that uncomfortable feeling one gets from opinions one disagrees with.

06-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Perhaps we could have a sub-forum where discussion of mirrorless technology and other annoying topics are strictly banned, so as to avoid that uncomfortable feeling one gets from opinions one disagrees with.
I'd go for that. It gets truly tiring listening to people who's only advice to Pentax users is "switch brands" and all their posts are devoted to advising Pentax users to buy something else. I'm all for those people posting somewhere else. And if I ever need their advice, I'll go find it. But the fact that participating in the forum is an opportunity to talk down the brand for some is unfortunate. I'm sure it keeps participation up however. Maybe counter intuitive.

But bottom line, discussing mirrorless is not relevant to current Pentax users.
It's a nice stick for poking the bear though.

---------- Post added 06-16-19 at 09:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
Why just 26 MP? The price, the dynamic properties, the AF properties...? What is the reason?
Probably all those things and more. If more than 26 MP was technically possible with the same quality why wouldn't someone have done it? The big thing here is not the 2 extra MP, it's the back lit sensor and on chip PDAF, with the possibility of 4k video.

If you want more MP there's always the K-1 or 645z.

Last edited by normhead; 06-16-2019 at 06:54 AM.
06-16-2019, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #132
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The requirements for video, fast EVF frame rates, and fast PDAF pixel read-out make it harder (= more expensive) to support more megapixels.

For a given sensor price point, the best DSLR-optimized sensor would be better than the best same-price MILC/video-optimized sensor. Forcing a still-photography image sensor to also provide video and AF means either adding cost or compromising the still-image spec.
06-16-2019, 07:31 AM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Probably all those things and more. If more than 26 MP was technically possible with the same quality why wouldn't someone have done it? The big thing here is not the 2 extra MP, it's the back lit sensor and on chip PDAF, with the possibility of 4k video.

(...)
Price. Fujifilm are using it in their X-T30 camera ($899 at launch).
06-16-2019, 08:45 AM - 2 Likes   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Unfortunately, the talk goes both ways. The only MILC I have right now is my Q-7, and once I purchased the KP I have no intention of purchasing another, but people repeatedly say things here that are one-sided ..... there are good reasons for choosing MILC, things Pentax users miss by not having MILC available, and I feel they should at least be expressed even if some here will just not hear.
06-16-2019, 09:36 AM - 5 Likes   #135
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, the talk goes both ways. The only MILC I have right now is my Q-7, and once I purchased the KP I have no intention of purchasing another, but people repeatedly say things here that are one-sided ..... there are good reasons for choosing MILC, things Pentax users miss by not having MILC available, and I feel they should at least be expressed even if some here will just not hear.
I tend to disagree. I chose Pentax for their dedication to DSLRs, something they've repeatedly emphasized in recent interviews. I really don't need patronage on my choice, especially not in a forum dedicated to exactly this producer of DSLRs. If one of you is happy with his Sony, enjoy, you may tell it once, but after the third thread that is getting derailed because someone feels the need to be such a good person to tell all others what they are missing in his opinion it is getting an annoyance. I'm able to find this and much more information if I want, no need to push it, especially with some pathetic view of "wanting to make the brand better". Thanks for the understanding.