Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2019, 06:52 AM - 2 Likes   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
According to yet another newer patent filing.... Some of what you said may actually happen, especially if you combine both the switchable AF and Hybrid Viewfinder.
I really hope this is why they've been so secretive...
BTW - Canon and Nikon are also working on hybrid viewfinders.
If this is a 'crazy idea', all the DSLR manufacturers are infected by the 'craziness'.

Canon Working on Hybrid Viewfinders For DSLRS « NEW CAMERA
Nikon files patents for hybrid viewfinder - Nikon Rumors

06-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #182
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If this is a 'crazy idea', all the DSLR manufacturers are infected by the 'craziness'.
Nice find reh321!
06-18-2019, 08:19 AM - 4 Likes   #183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Nice find reh321!
Hybrid is the choice with the possibility of making EVF obsolete. It depends totally on implementation.
06-18-2019, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I would take that video with a huge spoon of salt. But then I can't - that would raise my blood pressure
One shouldn't draw conclusions from patents the way that guy is doing. Patents don't give up things like the number of autofocus points in a future camera.
BTW "That guy" is me . I said "it looks like" that's what they're going to do and showed exactly what the patent filing showed which was 60 AF points.
Thanks for watching my video either way. We all have our opinions. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not. Time will tell.

06-18-2019, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #185
Pentaxian

Well, i agree and was also one of the first to aknowledge this probability.

---------- Post added 18-06-19 at 14:20 ----------

Btw...

Ricoh OVF/EVF switchable hybrid viewfinder patent - Pentax Rumors...
06-18-2019, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Canon Working on Hybrid Viewfinders For DSLRS « NEW CAMERA
Nikon files patents for hybrid viewfinder - Nikon Rumors
That Nikon patent looks like a doubtful proposition, with the extra lens in the pop-up flash housing, which is possibly why they haven’t done anything with it in 8 years. I note that the Canon patent drawing includes an articulating mirror like the K-1/ii’s.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Well, i agree and was also one of the first to aknowledge this probability.

---------- Post added 18-06-19 at 14:20 ----------

Btw...

Ricoh OVF/EVF switchable hybrid viewfinder patent - Pentax Rumors...
All of that extra optics in front of the pentaprism brings to mind the additional “nose” on the KP J Limited prism overlay...
06-18-2019, 03:07 PM - 3 Likes   #187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
All of that extra optics in front of the pentaprism brings to mind the additional “nose” on the KP J Limited prism overlay...
Well, you are persistent, I have to give you credit for that.

Patents (or applications for patents) that have already celebrated a couple of birthdays don't excite me too much. Ground-breaking technological advances in higher end digital cameras are a major selling point, there is no point in a manufacturer parking a patent if its technology is close to being ready for commercialization. It isn't as if the manufacturer can't start marketing a product because the patent hasn't been approved Patents for hybrid viewfinders have been filed to protect research that hasn't produced a practical system yet, just in case another manufacturer figures out how to produce a practical system. Sorry.

06-18-2019, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Well, you are persistent, I have to give you credit for that.
I’d reframe that as “consistent”, but both are virtues, of a kind. Unlike condescension.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Patents (or applications for patents) that have already celebrated a couple of birthdays don't excite me too much. Ground-breaking technological advances in higher end digital cameras are a major selling point, there is no point in a manufacturer parking a patent if its technology is close to being ready for commercialization. It isn't as if the manufacturer can't start marketing a product because the patent hasn't been approved Patents for hybrid viewfinders have been filed to protect research that hasn't produced a practical system yet, just in case another manufacturer figures out how to produce a practical system. Sorry.
Well, if you think I’m hopeful of a next KP having this technology, let’s just say that I’d be surprised if it happened this year. No. My remark was simply that, if enough people accept the aesthetics of the overlay nose, then it wouldn’t discourage the designers from finding a way to incorporate the bulk of the patented EVF projection optics into a similar arrangement, should they decide the technology is affordable and useful.

OK. I was teasing, a bit.
06-18-2019, 10:01 PM   #189

I hope Pentax can announce and sell the new camera this year, it's 100 year anniversary, and it's a good chance for Pentax to catch the market again.
Any delay to the next year will be a fatal mistake.[
06-18-2019, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote

That's exactly what i thought when ordering the KP j Limited
06-19-2019, 02:53 AM   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
That's exactly what i thought when ordering the KP j Limited
How did you order it to France, btw?
06-19-2019, 03:12 AM - 2 Likes   #192
Forum Member

I wonder why it is so hard to make a hybrid. Basically every DLSR is mirrorless when you are using back screen. Then it just needs electrical pixel matrix overlay on the OVF which changes from transparent to a visible pixel screen. This tech probably does not exist or is expensive now. Other solution would be two viewfinders. Personally I would like to have an external EVF which you wear like a monocle. Looks ridiculous, but sooo practical because camera placement does not matter then. These photographers would be like pirates with one eye covered. External EVF just needs HDMI stream and maybe some tweaks to HUD which can be done with firmware update. Yes, mirrorless need good AF too, but for video it does not matter much. Mainly for action and then you can use...well OVF.
06-19-2019, 05:31 AM - 3 Likes   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pikselisiirto Quote
I wonder why it is so hard to make a hybrid. Basically every DLSR is mirrorless when you are using back screen. Then it just needs electrical pixel matrix overlay on the OVF which changes from transparent to a visible pixel screen. This tech probably does not exist or is expensive now. Other solution would be two viewfinders. Personally I would like to have an external EVF which you wear like a monocle. Looks ridiculous, but sooo practical because camera placement does not matter then. These photographers would be like pirates with one eye covered. External EVF just needs HDMI stream and maybe some tweaks to HUD which can be done with firmware update. Yes, mirrorless need good AF too, but for video it does not matter much. Mainly for action and then you can use...well OVF.
Sounds so simple, I'll bet I could do it in my little work shed.
06-19-2019, 05:34 AM   #194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
How did you order it to France, btw?
He has connections! Didn't you know that?
06-19-2019, 05:36 AM - 3 Likes   #195
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Sounds so simple, I'll bet I could do it in my little work shed.
I'd take 20 minutes and throw one together if i wasn't so busy.

---------- Post added 06-19-19 at 08:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Karen the Star Quote
I hope Pentax can announce and sell the new camera this year, it's 100 year anniversary, and it's a good chance for Pentax to catch the market again.
Any delay to the next year will be a fatal mistake.[
Fatal might be overstated.