Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 990 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Yep. Just dunno why Pentax engineers didnt managed to implement an on/off function. Would have been an win-win for all...
I believe the answer given at CP+ 2019 was a polite version of "It cannot be done".

The 'accelerator' comes between sensor and processor; all data flows through 'accelerator' going from sensor to processor. You may question their design, but it works, and since I worked with many hardware engineers in my role as a software engineer, I would never question how they do their job - they know it better than I do.

06-21-2019, 02:44 PM - 3 Likes   #242
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The accelerator is only a cheat if it is actually making the image less true to the actual scene.

Within the realm of the math of signal processing, there are often valid ways that suppress noise with minimal effect on the true signal.

Whether PP can truly replicate the accelerator's effect depends on whether the accelerator is using only the RAW sensor data or if it has access to other internal data such factory calibration data or internal parameters thta don't appear in the EXIF or image data.
06-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I believe the answer given at CP+ 2019 was a polite version of "It cannot be done".

The 'accelerator' comes between sensor and processor; all data flows through 'accelerator' going from sensor to processor. You may question their design, but it works, and since I worked with many hardware engineers in my role as a software engineer, I would never question how they do their job - they know it better than I do.
Well.. im an electronics engineer and im really wondering why it couldnt be done. doesnt make much sense to me...
06-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If pricing permitted, Broo!

The XT-3 is $1500, so as a smaller volume manufacturer it's hard to see how Pentax could make it for less. Such specs might force it to launch at $1700.
I can see an opportunity here for Ricoh to make a splash and produce a Nikon D500 style of camera. Pentax already have the KP so the flagship ASP-C needs to differentiate sufficiently from this. I believe going all out to produce a camera that takes advantage of the ASP-C format in "Quickness" is the best marketing strategy. Ricoh can make a statement that the DSLR ASP-C format is still relevant by bringing out such a camera.
I'm going to make a guess.

26 Mp,10 fps, 4K video, significantly improved AF (possibly including updated ring motor SDM lenses) significantly increased buffering capabilities and a price tag of 1350USD.

Happy 100 anniversary Pentax...

Last edited by BROO; 06-21-2019 at 03:58 PM.
06-21-2019, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #245
Pentaxian

Well.. im an electronics engineer and im really wondering why it couldnt be done. doesnt make much sense to me...
Well, I'm an engineer, too and have designed film scanners.

In the case of the accelerator, a factory calibration could record the pixel-by-pixel values of properties of the sensor such as sensitivity, color response, dark current properties, etc. These would be 36 MPix files created during production and stored in flash memory (either in the firmware chip or in a flash section of the accelerator chip). Unless Pentax provided a function to export these files, PP would not have access to them and could not replicate their effects unless the user was willing to carefully take a set of calibration images..
06-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #246
Pentaxian

Then get a job with Ricoh and show them how to do it. They say their Japanese chip designers can't do it..

Last edited by reh321; 06-21-2019 at 04:07 PM.
06-21-2019, 04:06 PM - 2 Likes   #247
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
and a price tag of 1350USD.
Mate, next time we meet, let's have a beer and explain economics. You're talking like a starry eyed hippy with braided hair, or possibly a cargo cultist.

Bring your DFA*50, too, so I can have a go.

06-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mate, next time we meet, let's have a beer and explain economics. You're talking like a starry eyed hippy with braided hair, or possibly a cargo cultist.

Bring your DFA*50, too, so I can have a go.
Okay you know I don't have braided hair!
Lets see what happens. Wait until it is released so you can buy the beers?
These frustrated K-3 owners have had plenty of time to save

---------- Post added 06-21-19 at 04:38 PM ----------

I'm going to make a guess.

26 Mp,10 fps, 4K video, significantly improved AF (possibly including updated ring motor SDM lenses) significantly increased buffering capabilities and a price tag of 1350USD.
I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum has any input as to the likely specifications and price of the new flagship ASP-C camera?
It seems like no one is willing to speculate out of fear of criticism....

Last edited by BROO; 06-21-2019 at 04:50 PM.
06-21-2019, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #249
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum has any input as to the likely specifications and price of the new flagship ASP-C camera?
It seems like no one is willing to speculate out of fear of criticism....
If anyone on this Forum has any real input or information they aren’t saying . . . . . and if they are saying, they don’t have any real input or information.

It is highly unlikely Pentax would compete against the D500, which is actually a fairly specialized Action camera and priced accordingly. Such a camera, even priced as a Pentax, would be $1,700 and Pentax doesn’t have and won’t produce lenses to match the capabilities of such a camera, That’s not to say the new camera won’t be faster than the KP, with decent video, much improved AF, a better buffer and more features than KP. (Which is a much better camera than it is credited to be)

The new camera probably won’t be $1,300 - the feature set at that price point would be disappointing.
06-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It certainly won’t be $1,300 - the feature set at that price point would be disappointing.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It is highly unlikely Pentax would compete against the D500, which is actually a fairly specialized Action camera and priced accordingly. Such a camera, even priced as a Pentax, would be $1,700 and Pentax doesn’t have and won’t produce lenses to match the capabilities of such a camera, That’s not to say the new camera won’t be faster than the KP, with decent video, much improved AF, a better buffer and more features than KP. It certainly won’t be $1,300 - the feature set at that price point would be disappointing.
Lots of avoidance here.

What therefore is the likely price point of the future ASP-C flagship camera?

I guess from my perspective as a K-1 user I am asking myself what features would tempt me to purchase an ASP-C camera. The KP certainly has compactness. An ASP-C flagship would need to have strong sports and birding capabilities. These are K-1 weaknesses IMO. I would be tempted by a Pentax camera that had D500 X-T3 type specs. I am sure the D FA150-450 lens would perform well on such a camera?

Personally I don't care how expensive the camera is. I just don't want it to be prohibitive for K-3 users to upgrade. A strong feature set to rival the D500 or X-T3 would be fine with me. Even at 1700USD.

Last edited by BROO; 06-21-2019 at 05:24 PM.
06-21-2019, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #251
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots of avoidance here.

What therefore is the likely price point of the future ASP-C flagship camera?

Personally I don't care how expensive the camera is. I just don't want it to be prohibitive for K-3 users to upgrade. A strong feature set to rival the D500 or X-T3 would be fine with me. Even at 1700USD.
That's up to the market researchers to report on. It won't be by internet polls or looking at gaijin ranting like this forum either, they're notoriously contradictory and unreliable, it'll be focus groups and the distributors who are consulted.

My guess is that like Kenspo said, Pentaxians are notorious tight ... wads.

Not individuals, but collectively.

You have to charge more in comparison to full frame because the K-1 can cause some to buy new lenses, that's not true of APS-C, the body can't be a loss leader and has to be very profitable in its own right.

Last edited by clackers; 06-21-2019 at 05:26 PM.
06-21-2019, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #252
Pentaxian

You can do all of that in software. For example - you'd get the same output with Nikon d3400 and playing a bit in PP
Why? Because of freedom to do stuff your way. Like i said in post earlier - I like to keep luma noise in some photos and blast chroma noise away. Accelerator seems unselective.
And some special noise reduction software might do a better job (havent tried them tho).
I don't think anyone who's looking at your pictures cares at the end of the day how long it took you to process a photo, if the KP gets me there faster that's more time shooting.

Any shot I care about complete control I'd have shot below 800 ISO.
06-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's up to the market researchers to report on
Nobody's job is on the line here....It's just an internet forum. I would be really disappointed if the flagship ASP-C camera was just a K-3 with a spit and polish and costing 1250 USD....Very disappointed.

In fact, I would probably look to other brands for sports and birding if I was serious about expanding my portfolio and exploring other photographic genre.
06-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #254
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Nobody's job is on the line here....It's just an internet forum. I would be really disappointed if the flagship ASP-C camera was just a K-3 with a spit and polish and costing 1250 USD....Very disappointed.

In fact, I would probably look to other brands for sports and birding if I was serious about expanding my portfolio and exploring other photographic genre.
Yes, but you said you'd pay $1700, Broo.

Many Pentaxians won't wear that, they paid $1200, $1300 for their K-3.

Better save up for that Canon 1DX!

06-21-2019, 05:44 PM   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have to charge more in comparison to full frame because the K-1 can cause some to buy new lenses, that's not true of APS-C
Pentax have a bit of a dilemma. They have dated AF that needs to be upgraded. Their lenses are slow to focus too. It is hard for them to upgrade one or the other. They basically need to upgrade both. That is why I suggested the improved SDM lenses as has been speculated. A new body with improved AF goes hand in hand with new SDM lenses. A gotcha priced body but new lenses for tight Pentaxians to splurge on?