Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 990 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2019, 03:16 AM   #691
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You can't get away from the fact that you need 50% longer lenses on FF than for APS for the same angle of view. When you see the ridiculous size of FF lenses that actually take the advantage of the larger sensor (1kg for a 50mm lens!), it is obvious that a smaller format is needed.

---------- Post added 07-04-19 at 12:51 AM ----------

Thats not surprising. Hardly anyone buys such entry level cameras anymore.
I don't think it is quite that bad. Or at least not at the 50mm angle of view. There are plenty of small 50-ish mm lenses that cover full frame sensors/film. The FA 50, FA 43, and DA *55 all do a pretty good job and none of them is a huge lens. The recent DFA *50 is so big because it was created to be sharp at extremely wide apertures -- not something that most photographers probably need. If you don't need that level of border sharpness at f1.4 the FA limiteds give very nice performance on full frame cameras without being huge.

(I do think what you say is correct for telephoto situations. I just don't shoot much with lenses that are longer than 100mm on my K-1).

07-04-2019, 04:11 AM   #692
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
TV I don't think so.
'Sony' TVs aren't own by Sony anymore.

Televisions | Smart TVs, 4K and Flat Screen LED TVs | Sony US
07-04-2019, 05:18 AM   #693
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I can see why manufacturers might ditch aspc for a FF lineup. Most never cared to develop their apsc glass in the first place. With mirrorless the size of the camera body is no longer driven by sensor size. You can develop a line of cameras where body size/ergonomics and features differentiate rather than sensor size. The glass can be designed to sacrifice performance for size if people want compact gear. Just as with mirrorless in the first place a move from apsc might well be manufacturer rather than consumer driven. Simplified architecture, manufacture and systems across product lines?
And higher margins, yes.
07-04-2019, 05:49 AM   #694
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't understand this constant concern about the KP's size. It is larger and more massive than the Super Program I used in the Age of Film. Today's lenses are less massive, so the two-handed approach we all were taught back then works just as well as it ever did.
Personal preference for particular ergonomics I guess. What you say about the size of film bodies is true, people obviously managed to use them just fine. But that doesn't mean that the ergonomics couldn't necessarily be better, again at least for some people.
I have both a K-1 and a KP. There's no question that the K-1 feels better to hold for me for a longer longer period of time, despite being heavier.
I do have big hands, so maybe that's part of it.
Plus having a larger grip means space for a bigger battery. That would mean not only more shots for the KP, but I could use the same batteries in both cameras.

07-04-2019, 05:52 AM   #695
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Indeed. I was misinformed. Or I mixed things up with the VAIO sale which indeed as nothing to do with Sony anymore (Sony still has 5% of VAIO if it really has any meaning anymore).
07-04-2019, 07:54 AM   #696
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I mixed things up with the VAIO sale which indeed as nothing to do with Sony anymore
I think some of the confusion comes from Sony buying OLED TV panels from LG and hasn't manufactured LCD panels for a while. Is a Pentax DSLR still a Pentax if the sensor is manufactured by Sony?
07-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #697
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
(...) Is a Pentax DSLR still a Pentax if the sensor is manufactured by Sony?
If it weren't, there wouldn't have been any Pentax DSLR ever. Nor any Pentax camera since 1957 for that matter -Asahi Optical never manufactured film cartridges.

07-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #698
Pentaxian

I think some of the confusion comes from Sony buying OLED TV panels from LG and hasn't manufactured LCD panels for a while. Is a Pentax DSLR still a Pentax if the sensor is manufactured by Sony?
It is Pentax if it has the words "Pentax" on the camera.
07-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #699
Pentaxian

Is a Pentax DSLR still a Pentax if the sensor is manufactured by Sony?
It is still a Pentax camera if you can sand it, shower it , and take pictures after the shower. Also, by definition, even after a Pentax camera doesn't take pictures anymore you can still use it as a paper press or as a hammer.
And if you can see clearly through the viewfinder without artifact, rolling effect and lag, chances are it's a Pentax.
07-04-2019, 08:22 AM   #700
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it's a 645 you can make a weatherproof bird nest as well.
07-04-2019, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #701
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It is still a Pentax camera if you can sand it, shower it , and take pictures after the shower. Also, by definition, even after a Pentax camera doesn't take pictures anymore you can still use it as a paper press or as a hammer.
And if you can see clearly through the viewfinder without artifact, rolling effect and lag, chances are it's a Pentax.
My Q-7 doesn't pass your tests - but it clearly is a Pentax - it takes good photos!!
07-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #702
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My Q-7 doesn't pass your tests - but it clearly is a Pentax - it takes good photos!!
Ah yes, you are right, it's what we call the exception that confirms the rule.
07-04-2019, 10:04 AM - 3 Likes   #703
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man, you know you're in trouble when even the rumors are far and few. (Queue the trademarked Pentax is Doomed logo)

This sub forum needs a moral boost... we've picked all the meat off this rumors bones... time for something new!
Eric
07-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #704
Banned

Are there any parts inside K-1ii, KP or K-70 that Ricoh-Imaging makes themselves?
07-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #705

More megapixels :/