Show Printable Version 990 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2019, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #1051
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Karen the Star Quote
Yep, you are right....
It's rare that I hear that, so I'll gratefully accept the acknowledgement

I also have a good thing to share with everyone here for my photo is in Ricoh imaging Gallery Shinjuku Tokyo today, I'm going to share, which thread or area I should go?
Our Post Your Photos section is the best place, for maximum exposure to members

and, I wanna buy a KP-J, touches nice and really beautiful, I see the real one and use it
Ha Cool... but remember, it's still a KP... Far be it from me to discourage anyone from buying a new Pentax product, but why not wait until your December 31st deadline we discussed? Between now and then, the new APS-C flagship might be announced and you may want to buy that... or maybe you'll want to go ahead with your switch to something off-brand that better meets your requirements? If money's no option, sure, why not - get the KP-J anyway. Otherwise... do you really want to invest more money into a model you're not completely satisfied with from a technical perspective?

08-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #1052
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think the point is, until we can see the raw files in comparison to other cameras, calling it "sweet" is a little premature, and sounds more like a forgone conclusion...

Is anyone able to look at the 90D's .CR3 files? Neither my Darktable nor RawTherapee installations will recognise them (probably time for an update )... as a result, all I can review are the JPEGs. Those, certainly, don't look great, but I'm wary of judging the camera on SOOC JPEGs...
"Sweet" is referring to the fact that it is a new sensor, breaking with a pretty well established 20-24mp generation of Sony and Canon sensors (only Fuji went to 26mp recently) and in doing so allows for an increase in cropping ability like the K3 was an increase in cropping ability over the K5IIs.

Assuming that Canon (or any other respectable brand) will not let an inferior sensor out the door at a time the camera market is highly competitive and sensor technology well matured, it is nice i.mo. to see the next step in resolution, likewise with the brandnew Sony A7RIV at 61mp with a 26mp APS-C crop.
08-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #1053
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also have a good thing to share with everyone here for my photo is in Ricoh imaging Gallery Shinjuku Tokyo today, I'm going to share, which thread or area I should go?
I was thinking of visiting there at Christmas time to see if there was anything interesting to see. I'm curious what you discovered. Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question.
08-29-2019, 01:32 AM   #1054
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
"Sweet" is referring to the fact that it is a new sensor, breaking with a pretty well established 20-24mp generation of Sony and Canon sensors (only Fuji went to 26mp recently) and in doing so allows for an increase in cropping ability
"Cropability" depends on a combination of Pixelcount, max dynamic range at the user preferred ISO, noise at the user preferred ISO, AA filter, specific lens used and velocity of subject.

I seem to recollect you favor shooting moving animals where the last part is important. Higher Pixelcount is impacted more negatively (by moving subjects) by just the reverse amount you theoretically gain by more cropping, so it does cancel out. Then on top you get the purely negative effects of all the other factors.

The smearing caused by AA filters (I think both the new Canon and the latest Sony still suffer from AA filters) is significant enough alone when looking at such tiny increases in pixelcount anyway.

08-29-2019, 01:53 AM - 2 Likes   #1055
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Higher Pixelcount is impacted more negatively (by moving subjects) by just the reverse amount you theoretically gain by more cropping, so it does cancel out.
There is no cancellation, it is wrongly assumed that motion blur reduces image resolution, it's just that with more pixels you get a more detailed sampling of the motion blur, lens fringes and airy disc and more noise, for example in case you intentionally use a slow shutter speed to give a sensor of motion in your images, you'll get more detailed motion blur if the sensor contains more pixels. But the big advantage of mega pixels is, it's easier to sell to the mass market, more mega pixels always sounds good on paper anyway. If Canon was releasing one more 24Mp camera, it would appear more boring than when they show an increase, at least this is something to talk about.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-29-2019 at 02:02 AM.
08-29-2019, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #1056
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There is no cancellation, it is wrongly assumed that motion blur reduces image resolution, it's just that with more pixels you get a more detailed sampling of the motion blur
"Image resolution" of a black fly in a dark tunnel shot at a shutter speed of 1 second is as good as that of an elephant in sunlight, yes.
Subject detail is not.

If you cut a pixel into 4 smaller ones and later crop down to 1/4 then this only is an advantage for subject detail resolving if the subject has moved half as far, or you will see smeared small pixels over the original area. Nothing won.

That is why high res is less good for photographers shooting action than for landscape, art, fashion, real estate, macro etc.
08-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #1057
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
If you cut a pixel into 4 smaller ones and later crop down to 1/4 then this only is an advantage for subject detail resolving if the subject has moved half as far
That's true if you take a detail like a fly in a dark tunnel . But let's imagine that the details are like a mosaic of details that forms the feather on a bird; if the bird (in flight) moves, every details of feather move together (unless he loses his feather during the flight), then the blur will cover a certain distance (millimeter of the frame), it's just that the edge of the blur will be more refined with the higher resolution sensor.

Anyway, I digress. I had the experience with the Pentax K3, and it was already tricky to get full sharpness, I usually had to increase shutter speed by 1.5x compared to what I was used to with the K5. So it's like what you describe. I guess shooting HH with a 90D would have to increase shutter speed again by a 3rd of a stop, and so crank up the ISO or use a faster lens that holds its details at wider apertures.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-29-2019 at 07:44 AM.
08-29-2019, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #1058
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sensors with higher pixel density typically require higher shutter speeds to produce more detail. Shake reduction helps a bit, but obviously doesn't freeze subject motion. And odds are you will mainly see more resolution at low iso settings (say 400 and less on an APS-C camera).
09-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #1059

Well at least there is something to read in PF compared to the Nikon D6 rumors and all blaringly loud "all hail mirrorless" rhetoric. I'm so sick of hearing it, i literally have a major headache from reading even three of the mirrorless comments.
09-03-2019, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #1060
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
Well at least there is something to read in PF compared to the Nikon D6 rumors and all blaringly loud "all hail mirrorless" rhetoric. I'm so sick of hearing it, i literally have a major headache from reading even three of the mirrorless comments.
Yes , I agree with you , all thread related to camera are contaminated with mirrorless comments. I am sick of it also.
09-04-2019, 01:35 AM - 2 Likes   #1061
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony developed a lot of new sensors, for example

MX435 36Mp 8K sensor
IMX551 60MP 8k sensor

APS-C 32 Mp
(SR5) Specs of the new "Sony IMX510" 32 Megapixel APS-C sensor - sonyalpharumors

Sony also has showed off the specification for FF sensor of 24.6, 30.38, 48.96, 54.72 and 61.44 Mp resolution.
Sony Semiconductor shows off specs of six full-frame sensors, including a Quad Bayer sensor: Digital Photography Review

We can only guess which sensor could be put into new Pentax cameras...The choice is large.
K-3's successor could have new 24 (like A6600), 26 or 32 Mp sensor IMO.

K-1III - hard to say....it could be old 42 MP sensor or new revision of such sensor for Pentax or something new from the line of developed sensors by Sony.
09-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #1062
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Sony developed a lot of new sensors, for example

MX435 36Mp 8K sensor
IMX551 60MP 8k sensor

APS-C 32 Mp
(SR5) Specs of the new "Sony IMX510" 32 Megapixel APS-C sensor - sonyalpharumors

Sony also has showed off the specification for FF sensor of 24.6, 30.38, 48.96, 54.72 and 61.44 Mp resolution.
Sony Semiconductor shows off specs of six full-frame sensors, including a Quad Bayer sensor: Digital Photography Review

We can only guess which sensor could be put into new Pentax cameras...The choice is large.
K-3's successor could have new 24 (like A6600), 26 or 32 Mp sensor IMO.

K-1III - hard to say....it could be old 42 MP sensor or new revision of such sensor for Pentax or something new from the line of developed sensors by Sony.
The Sony 26mp BSI sensor will be a more expensive sensor (found in (Fuji style color array) the still 1500,- euro Fuji XT-3). It should be the Sony A6600 sensor if the camera is to be placed in the usual 1299,- euro launch price. And that is a very good sensor, well ahead of the K3 sensor.

Last edited by Chris Mak; 09-04-2019 at 10:04 AM.
09-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #1063
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
The Sony 26mp BSI sensor will be a more expensive sensor
Yep, maybe $10 more expensive than the 24Mp sensor
09-04-2019, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #1064
Pentaxian

Not the K3's successor,more expensive than K3.
09-04-2019, 10:07 PM   #1065
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Not the K3's successor,more expensive than K3.
When?