Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2019, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #1081
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Mistral75 also posted that Kimio Tanaka indicated that K3 sequel would be in the first part of 2020.
IIRC. the feisty Tanaka claimed in a blog post that 'it seems [Spring 2020]', but forum member Taks actually watched the interview with Iwasaki on YouTube and said: "Iwasaki-san did not confirm and so no promises were made by Ricoh."

What we do know is that Iwasaki has said to interviewers: "Although we cannot provide specific information such as specifications or a release date, it is planned to be a very attractive product for current K-3 users."

Tanaka is not a Ricoh employee, I must hasten to add, he was asking the questions on the stage, not providing the answers.

09-05-2019, 07:26 AM - 3 Likes   #1082
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The feisty Tanaka claimed in a blog post that 'it seems', but forum member Taks actually watched the interview with Iwasaki on YouTube and said: "Iwasaki-san did not confirm and so no promises were made by Ricoh."

What we do know is that Iwasaki has said to interviewers: "Although we cannot provide specific information such as specifications or a release date, it is planned to be a very attractive product for current K-3 users."

Tanaka is not a Ricoh employee, I must hasten to add.
That's fine. What section of the Forum are we in, by the way?

If we only go with substantiated "news," we could have closed this thread many pages ago. Honestly, I don't really care much about the APS-C sequel, but I don't particularly want people to get their hopes up about something wonderful coming before next year, as I think the likelihood is more in favor of any developments coming next year. The worst thing is to have people whipped up for something amazing to come in November or December and then we get nothing. The combination of the set up and fall is devastating to the psyche of many Pentaxians.

Better to keep an even keel and to wait patiently for what (eventually) arrives.
09-05-2019, 07:28 AM   #1083

All this begs the question as to what exactly is expected for/from the 100th anniversary. There has to be something somewhat substantial to keep peoples interest and i doubt a couple lenses will do much of a dent in the current Pentax doldrums. Although i don't really need anything and are quite happy with my Pentax gear. Nothing worth discussing on other brands recent offerings either.
09-05-2019, 07:31 AM   #1084
Banned

I think it is three years ago (or is it already 4 years) that I said that with the K-1 there is almost no market left for hi end aps-c users to bring a new model to market. Those with money changed ship and use the fullframe model. Those who didn't, either had not enough funds, or are not with enough people for such a model. Im still good on track to be right.

What is coming......next year......is a new model that has nothing to do with K-3ii.....but will replace KP.

09-05-2019, 07:34 AM - 2 Likes   #1085
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Your definition of "fun" and mine are wildly divergent
(Laughs)

I'm not sure where the dividing line is between research and stalking, but I do like repeated rumours to have substance, provenance or what have you.

And that involves assessing the person making the claim.

09-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #1086
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

That's fine. What section of the Forum are we in, by the way?
I think the highest quality posts in this forum are the Photo threads, and the worst - with the worst posters - in the News and Rumours threads. Obviously you're not one of those, Lawrence!

The worst thing is to have people whipped up for something amazing to come in November or December and then we get nothing.
Well, that's what we do by repeating rumours instead of what a company announces.

At Canon in the golden years, they simply refused to comment on future products.

09-05-2019, 08:04 AM   #1087
Pentaxian

Best statement
Pentaxians.

Better to keep an even keel and to wait patiently for what (eventually) arrives.

Read more at: New Sony APS-C Sensor - 26MP - Page 73 - PentaxForums.com

09-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #1088
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think it is three years ago (or is it already 4 years) that I said that with the K-1 there is almost no market left for hi end aps-c users to bring a new model to market. Those with money changed ship and use the fullframe model.
I can't prove this at all, don't have a shred of evidence for it, Ron, but like Sony, Canon and Nikon, Ricoh might hope that K-3 owners take the hint and upgrade to the FF K-1.

Last edited by clackers; 09-05-2019 at 08:22 AM.
09-05-2019, 08:38 AM   #1089
Banned

I can't prove this at all, don't have a shred of evidence for it, Ron, but like Sony, Canon and Nikon, Ricoh might hope that K-3 owners take the hint and upgrade to the FF K-1.
And many of them did.
09-05-2019, 09:09 AM - 4 Likes   #1090
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of us still like the size and FOV of APS-c cameras (with a given focal length lens), but would like some functional improvements over the K-3 (or II) generation. Money is not the issue, so if I had desired FF I would have moved to it already.

Perhaps Ricoh could solidify their place as a manufacturer by providing a flagship home for APS-c enthusiasts. I don't think I'm alone in this desire.
09-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #1091
Pentaxian

Accurate?

For fun, I've just scanned through every post he's made on this forum going back twenty one months.

His only prediction was in April of 2018 where he confidently declared:

"K3III will be 2019
GRIII will be this year. "

He was wrong about the GR III, and I guess he has three months to be right about the K3III, even though no one's ever seen one or talked about one.

I also see posts where he's begging Asahiman for rumours and information.

I don't think he knows at all. For some reason, maybe he's connected with retailers or distributors, he can get his hands on official Ricoh documents (like firmware contents) in advance, but if I was an industrial counter espionage consultant, I'd say he's not a Pentax employee, he guesses at anything else like the rest of us.

I don't rate him as a clairvoyant, sorry!

Asahiman comes up with some very specific hints only known to insiders (again, the way he says" Sorry no,I got only anything about the 3 new primes" says he's not an employee but a receiver of leaks), but on this forum he has made no prediction about an APS-C flagship.
At the beginning of this year, I was very optimistic - Pentax had gone a year without anything new, so I believed they must be holding back new products for this "Centennial Year". However, I was told that Kimio Tanaka had said from the stage at CP+ that the K-3ii replacement would be the next K-mount camera out-the-door ,,,, and the wait for that could be end of this year or beginning of next year. If you want real "fun" read through all the discussions around Feb - Mar this year and see who said what.

Right now, all I can locate is this
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Judging by the series of tweets he posted in the afternoon, Kimio Tanaka wasn't exactly pleased with the outcome of his on-stage interview and the answers he received today.

The successor to K-3 II is still said to be under development. It's expected to be released next year. It's said to be worth waiting for.

There were no questions concerning the 645 or Q during the Q&A, therefore the person in charge was 'hot' 'relieved'.

Ricoh Imaging plan to sell the KP Custom this year but they haven't decided yet how they will proceed: limited edition? built on order?
09-05-2019, 10:22 AM - 2 Likes   #1092
Veteran Member

Fixed it for you...

The combination of the self-inflicted set up and fall is devastating to defines the psyche of many Pentaxians.
09-05-2019, 10:37 AM - 2 Likes   #1093
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think it is three years ago (or is it already 4 years) that I said that with the K-1 there is almost no market left for hi end aps-c users to bring a new model to market. Those with money changed ship and use the fullframe model. Those who didn't, either had not enough funds, or are not with enough people for such a model. Im still good on track to be right.

What is coming......next year......is a new model that has nothing to do with K-3ii.....but will replace KP.
Ummm... I am not so sure. APSC is still the weapon of choice for action and long tele work, which I think is what is delaying the release. They need to release a camera that is at least ***usable for birding, sports, long tele work, etc which is where the K-1 is a bit weak in FPS, buffer, and crop pixel density (no better than K-5IIs giving AA-less 15.xx mp crop).

To say that APSC people all moved on to the K-1 and don't still want an APSC seems like folly... I know I for one want a high density APSC for birding, etc. to carry with my K-1. The weight of adding an APSC body in my bag is lighter than carrying a 600mm F4... so I could carry my K-1 with my FA31/FA77 and the new K3.xxx with HDFA150-450 and still have a lighter total kit for less total cash outlay. If I was just doing portraits, landscapes or street, you might have something to your claim, but everyone's needs are different.

Unless of course they released a new Full Frame replacement for K-1 with a 50+mp low noise sensor... which would give a similar pixel density to APSC... heh. but chances are, the 2 technologies will always remain unparallel, so the current gen APSC will probably always maintain the advantage for density. I dunno... maybe I am talking out my booty, but it seems historically true, so it seems logical moving forward to maintain a flagship APSC line for the many reasons it makes sense.
Eric

***EDIT: Usable, not meaning that past K-3 models were not usable, just saying usable in the vane of staying current with competitors as they are usable, IE: staying at least in the realm of FPS, CAF & buffer, not necessarily having to be on top in specifications on paper, because you pay a lot for that last 2% of performance, where as reaching 98% is still pretty darn good and lost in the noise of individual ability to use that last 2%.

Last edited by Erictator; 09-05-2019 at 10:50 AM.
09-05-2019, 10:45 AM - 5 Likes   #1094
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Your definition of "fun" and mine are wildly divergent
Says the guy who moderates an online forum?

-Eric
09-05-2019, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #1095
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Says the guy who moderates an online forum?
Touché