Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2019, 03:11 AM   #1201
Veteran Member

Just don't worry about the gear and take photos. Gear matters but less than most of us (including myself) think.

10-29-2019, 05:22 AM   #1202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
(...) If Pentax goes under (...)
Pentax can't go under. Pentax is a mere brand, used by two large corporations, Hoya for medical equipment and Ricoh for photo equipment.
10-29-2019, 01:30 PM   #1203
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
What makes you think Pentax is going under? Are you not keeping up with the information regarding the recently previewed New Pentax APSC flagship camera?
I am and have been keeping up with it, just hoping that the constant delays are not an indicator that they are having difficulty competing and staying in business because I love my Pentax cameras and lenses.

---------- Post added 10-29-19 at 01:48 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

I am very invested in Pentax, in fact I have the following and looking forward to any new camera and lenses they put out. Like I said, I hope they continue in business and do well, because I I like Pentax and so much so I have now sold all my Cannon, Nikon and Sony cameras and lenses just so I can concentrate on my favorite camera and lenses - Pentax!

Cameras:
K1
K1 MarkII
Kp

Lenses:
HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
HD Pentax-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR
HD D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR
31mm F/1.8 FA Limited Lens*
HD FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6
DA* 200mm f/2.8 ED (IF) SDM
ROKINON 85M-P 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens
HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited WR
DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (SDM)
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 Ex Dc Hsm Lens*
DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens
HD Pentax DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 ED DC AW

Last edited by mhsp1948; 10-29-2019 at 01:51 PM.
10-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #1204
Pentaxian

Even if Pentax goes under, it's not as if you have to stop using your equipment immediately. You can get years of service out of the gear you do own, and the secondary market is always available to add to your collection. I remember surprising my father on his birthday with a lens for his Kodak Retina Reflex S--and that was 25 years after they made his camera.

10-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #1205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
Even if Pentax goes under, it's not as if you have to stop using your equipment immediately. You can get years of service out of the gear you do own, and the secondary market is always available to add to your collection. I remember surprising my father on his birthday with a lens for his Kodak Retina Reflex S--and that was 25 years after they made his camera.
Exactly. If tomorrow Pentax is out of business all my Pentax cameras and lenses will work the same way as today. Probably for many years.
10-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #1206
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Exactly. If tomorrow Pentax is out of business all my Pentax cameras and lenses will work the same way as today. Probably for many years.
Good point you all are right
10-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #1207
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
I hope my K3 at least survives until the replacement arrives! But then I still have the K5iis as a backup, and I regularly read in these forums that people are still using the K10D, which suggests that they are built to last.

10-30-2019, 04:21 PM   #1208
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I hope my K3 at least survives until the replacement arrives! But then I still have the K5iis as a backup, and I regularly read in these forums that people are still using the K10D, which suggests that they are built to last.
I'm fully expecting my K-3 to last several more years (unless I do something silly), and my K-3II even longer.

And yes... A sizeable number of us are using the K10D / GX-10 and the even older 6MP bodies. Looked after properly, they go on... and on... and on...
10-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #1209
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Pentax can't go under. Pentax is a mere brand, used by two large corporations, Hoya for medical equipment and Ricoh for photo equipment.
Good point, assuming that someone wants to continue using the brand and is prepared to buy the intellectual property.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm fully expecting my K-3 to last several more years (unless I do something silly), and my K-3II even longer.
And yes... A sizeable number of us are using the K10D / GX-10 and the even older 6MP bodies. Looked after properly, they go on... and on... and on...
Electronic shutter flutter notwithstanding. My K3 is usually rock solid, but once in a blue moon, the shutter has a fit. I think that's the component failure most likely to make it unusable. Having said that, I've taken a lot of photos with the K3 over the last four years, so I can't complain (except I kind of wish I waited a little longer for the K3ii... ).
10-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #1210
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Electronic shutter flutter notwithstanding. My K3 is usually rock solid, but once in a blue moon, the shutter has a fit. I think that's the component failure most likely to make it unusable. Having said that, I've taken a lot of photos with the K3 over the last four years, so I can't complain (except I kind of wish I waited a little longer for the K3ii... ).
I think I've had that happen twice... maybe three times... since buying it back in late 2013 / early 2014 (I forget exactly when), and one or two complete lock-ups. Are you on the latest firmware, Rob? It deals with the mirror / shutter flap admirably... Doesn't stop it from happening, but halts it on the very rare occasions it might happen
10-30-2019, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #1211
Veteran Member

I wouldn't mind a FF 26mp sensor with really good low light capabilities
10-30-2019, 05:31 PM   #1212
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think I've had that happen twice... maybe three times... since buying it back in late 2013 / early 2014 (I forget exactly when), and one or two complete lock-ups. Are you on the latest firmware, Rob? It deals with the mirror / shutter flap admirably... Doesn't stop it from happening, but halts it on the very rare occasions it might happen
I've never had continuous shutter flap, so presumably the firmware is halting it on mine too, but I've also been pretty quick to turn the camera off. A couple of times I've had to pull the battery to get the camera back into a working state. But like you, I think it has only misbehaved two or three times. I'm not sure if I have absolutely the latest firmware because the only change on the most recent one I think was the addition of a new lens which I don't have. One of the helpful folks in the Ricoh showroom in Shinjuku updated the firmware for me so I could try out the DFA 150-450 (which I later bought). The only other weirdness I've had was just last week when the camera suddenly used the wrong white balance on the jpegs, but of course the raw images were fine. I haven't ever seen that before, and it hasn't happened since.
10-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #1213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The only time I've experienced the runaway shutter was from very depleted batteries (as in end of life, not just end of charge).
10-30-2019, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #1214
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
The only time I've experienced the runaway shutter was from very depleted batteries (as in end of life, not just end of charge).
Maybe that's another cause - in my case one battery seems to have been faulty in manufacture and doesn't hold charge properly. I can't be sure that it was in the camera each time the fault occurred but thanks for mentioning this!
10-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #1215
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I wouldn't mind a FF 26mp sensor with really good low light capabilities
count me in