Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 72 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2019, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
And yet, they have killed off their own sponsored supply of "free" images.

Pentax Photogallery

Marketing fools trick only themselves. Not the sharpest knives in the drawer eh?
They. Who are "they"?
AFAIK Pentax Photo Gallery was made by Pentax Ricoh Imaging U.S. - a pity it wasn't made into a global initiative, but nevertheless - it's a different "they".

06-28-2019, 01:33 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For those who are noting that this is for Instagram users only (the clue is actually in the name of the competition !), Pentax are doing more than one of these this year. I have already competed in the Pentax/SRS Microsystems competition earlier this year. This one announced above is for Instagram, there will be others I am sure.
06-28-2019, 02:27 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Ricoh Imaging's people are all incompetents, and We Know Better Than Them. We'd even make the perfect camera, if we could be bothered to.
Thank God for commenters | CommitStrip
06-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #19
Pentaxian

why would they push people towards instagram instead of towards ricoh-imaging for a contest? they could still publish entries through insta?

06-28-2019, 07:28 AM - 9 Likes   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
why would they push people towards instagram instead of towards ricoh-imaging for a contest? they could still publish entries through insta?
It doesn't cost Ricoh anything. Why spend the money to create the infrastructure for a three month one-off campaign.

It seems to me that Pentax has traditionally thumbed their nose at snobby, eliteist attitudes:

From the last commercial
QuoteQuote:
You see the photographs you've been looking at were not taken by professional photographers. They were taken by professional housewives, mailmen, real estate brokers, secretaries and short order cooks.
When I saw the announcement instead of moaning about Instagram I started thinking about what 100 themed photos I could take. I guess I'm just not a Pentaxian.
06-28-2019, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I started thinking about what 100 themed photos I could take
A centipede????
06-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It doesn't cost Ricoh anything. Why spend the money to create the infrastructure for a three month one-off campaign.

It seems to me that Pentax has traditionally thumbed their nose at snobby, eliteist attitudes:

Pentax ME Camera Commercial - 1970s - YouTube
Vintage Pentax Commercial - YouTube
Vintage Pentax Commercial - YouTube
Pentax ad w/Steve Irwin, 1999 - YouTube
The Crocodile Hunter | Pentax | Television Commercial | 1999 - YouTube
Pentax Commercial 1988 - YouTube
Rare Commercial Vault: Pentax Auto 110 Camera (1980 HD) - YouTube
1980 Pentax ME Super 35mm SLR Camera "The Super Camera" TV Commercial - YouTube
Pentax Camera Commercial HD - YouTube

1978 Pentax 35mm ME Camera "Easy to use" TV Commercial - YouTube
From the last commercial

When I saw the announcement instead of moaning about Instagram I started thinking about what 100 themed photos I could take. I guess I'm just not a Pentaxian.
I had the exact same thought. Then I thought about which lens with which camera. And could I do 6 entries, one per camera (not including film cameras).

If they don’t like Instagram, fine. No one’s making them do it.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-28-2019 at 11:29 AM.
06-28-2019, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote

If they have a Pentax Forums Pentax competition I suppose you would complain at that too

In case you have not grasped the concept yet. Pentax are doing a number of competitions this year. This is one. Instagram has a large following. Perhaps you would prefer Pentax to ignore that.
06-28-2019, 10:39 AM - 3 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Instagram is hugely popular, so it's an avenue to engage with many people.

The various Ricoh Pentax Instagram pages have a decent following, albeit at a fraction of others such as Nikon. Still, it's a low-cost and effective vehicle.

Personally, I don't do Instagram, but I'll check periodically to see the images for the 100th celebration. Why not? There might be some fascinating images.

- Craig
06-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Instagram is hugely popular, so it's an avenue to engage with many people.

The various Ricoh Pentax Instagram pages have a decent following, albeit at a fraction of others such as Nikon. Still, it's a low-cost and effective vehicle.

Personally, I don't do Instagram, but I'll check periodically to see the images for the 100th celebration. Why not? There might be some fascinating images.

- Craig
I fear you are wasting your time cam

While your points are totally relevant and correct, that is not what folk want to hear on-line these days.

They want confirmation of their own stance, or more refutation of yours.. Anything else is irrelevant to them unfortunately
06-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I fear you are wasting your time cam
Haha. I know, I know. I'm trying to learn to avoid rational and logical thinking. I blame my engineering education and career in R&D.

Maybe I'll try some whole-hearted and arbitrary, unabashed brand bashing, which might get me more status.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-28-2019 at 04:41 PM.
06-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

IG not square only anymore

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
What really annoys me about Instagram is that it mandates a 1:1 aspect ratio or not too far from that, and the image size is so small. It doesn't really feel like a photographer's tool.
Instagram isn't square only anymore. I've never posted a 1:1 pic on it, all my pics are the native 3x2 ratio.

But I do not dispute the fact that they are small

I use either Instagram plugin for Lightroom or Likegram for Windows and post straight from my computer

D

if interested David Sladek (@davidsladekphotographer) ? Instagram photos and videos
06-28-2019, 01:26 PM - 4 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
PENTAX100 Celebration Photo Contest | RICOH IMAGING

In November 2019, RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. will celebrate the 100th anniversary of the founding of Asahi Optical Joint Stock Co., the original manufacturer of PENTAX-brand products.
To celebrate this memorial year together with PENTAX users across the globe who have patronized and supported PENTAX-brandproducts over the years, we will conduct the PENTAX 100 Celebration Instagram Photo Contest over a three-month period.
This contest isn’t a strict competition by any means; all you have to do for application is upload your photo to your own Instagram account using designated hashtags. Share the fun of photography and your enthusiasm of picture-taking with other PENTAX users via the hashtags, making the memorial year even more memorable.
What an excellent avenue to do a contest, There are lots of Pentaxians on Instagram, many from this forum. This is a very good marketing move, Instagram is probably the biggest platform to show off photography, and as opposed to something like this forum, it's not mostly Pentax users viewing, so they get a lot of "exposure".
06-28-2019, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
What an excellent avenue to do a contest, There are lots of Pentaxians on Instagram, many from this forum. This is a very good marketing move, Instagram is probably the biggest platform to show off photography, and as opposed to something like this forum, it's not mostly Pentax users viewing, so they get a lot of "exposure".
The voice of reason. At least some of us get it.
06-28-2019, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't like social media (but here I am.....), and while I probably wouldn't sign up for doing something like this one time (really, what are my chances?....), I think it's a really good thing RIcoh/Pentax is doing this. Not doing this would be akin to saying you're not in the mainstream and not capable of those other markets and venues, despite folks like Nikon and Canon with a presence. I'm sure some would complain about the lack of effort to forgo a competition on a platform like Instagram too. I'd just say it's nice to see them celebrating the 100th anniversary and finding many ways to do so.