Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I think entering this "competition" is a good thing. I did with an oldy. Not putting pressure on anyone, but supporting the Pentax brand is something you can do with an image and not only with words......

06-28-2019, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
What really annoys me about Instagram is that it mandates a 1:1 aspect ratio or not too far from that, and the image size is so small. It doesn't really feel like a photographer's tool.
Long time ago, maybe, Paul. You can do 16×9.

Instagram is very popular for displaying work to win clients, because you tag them.

It's the commercial attraction that makes it different from FB and Twitter. Like YouTube, so much money can be made from it that people can earn their living as influencers.

It is of course basically a phone app, so it has enormous reach. Young people are obsessed by their phones hour to hour scrolling through their social feeds and many don't and won't ever own a desktop computer.

Last edited by clackers; 06-28-2019 at 03:19 PM.
06-28-2019, 04:10 PM - 4 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm not going to open an Instagram account just for that. "Social media" is a thing of the past.
Here's some interesting stats:
22+ Instagram Statistics That Matter to Marketers in 2019
1 billion people use Instagram every month. ...
88% of users are outside the U.S. ...
71% of Instagram users around the globe are under the age of 35. ...
72% of U.S. teens use Instagram. ...

We tend to complain that Pentax doesn't do marketing. Social media is the best kind of marketing there is.
If I take a photo of the Sydney Opera House and post it on Instagram with the tag #sydneyoperahouse anyone who is interested in that tag might see my photo but also see the three Pentax tags including the one which identifies which camera I took it with and then may even follow those links. And so it goes.
06-28-2019, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If i were Ricoh I would cancel the thing given the mean spirited remarks of many on here.

06-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I did with an oldy.
I think it starts on July, 1st?
06-28-2019, 05:56 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I think this is a good move. It's a chance to advertise Pentax. And, with all the good shots submitted maybe we can convince others to go into Pentax. I don't have an Instagram account and I don't know how to downsize pictures for posting. If I can post my pictures as is or if I will know how to downsize it, I'll join. Not for the sake of winning but, to support the brand.
06-28-2019, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #37

Somehow I don't like instagram and facebook, that means show too much about my life.
I prefer share something with a little group of people and keep it quiet.
Like a Japanese article said, you won't want everyone know a novel you truly love when you meet it. Take something you love as your precious, only belongs to you..

06-28-2019, 06:43 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Karen the Star Quote
Somehow I don't like instagram and facebook, that means show too much about my life.
I prefer share something with a little group of people and keep it quiet.
Like a Japanese article said, you won't want everyone know a novel you truly love when you meet it. Take something you love as your precious, only belongs to you..
Karen, what a business owner or artist does is maintain one feed for the public, one for friends and family.

The massive advantage over a website is that someone may visit it once and that's it. But if they subscribe to your feed they'll encounter your content weekly or even daily, like radio ads.

What you do is frequently link back to your business website so that after you've caught someone's interest you now show them in detail what you can do, in your own way.

Last edited by clackers; 06-28-2019 at 08:36 PM.
06-28-2019, 06:49 PM - 3 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If i were Ricoh I would cancel the thing given the mean spirited remarks of many on here.
That was seved with a small taste of sarcasm wasn't it????
06-28-2019, 06:57 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Here's some interesting stats:
22+ Instagram Statistics That Matter to Marketers in 2019
1 billion people use Instagram every month. ...
Sure. If I was the Creative Director at an advertising agency and maintain a roster of a dozen photographers I award contracts to, they'll come and go but on Insta I'll be following other togs whose work I've encountered in the past and will be able to contact one of the interesting ones about their availability. It's like the old Rolodex of another age.

Last edited by clackers; 06-28-2019 at 08:37 PM.
06-28-2019, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
That was seved with a small taste of sarcasm wasn't it????
It read to me as succinct and to the point.

.:
06-28-2019, 10:24 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If I were Ricoh, I'd create an instagram accound for a Pentax forum group to post on instagram or anywhere else. All the members who do not wish to create an account on instagram could still contribute.
06-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't Instagram smart phone dependent?
06-28-2019, 11:43 PM   #44
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I think it starts on July, 1st?

I will try again on monday
06-29-2019, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Isn't Instagram smart phone dependent?
There's a plug-in for Lightroom that'll publish straight to your Instagram via Lightroom. It's called LR/Instagram. It'll post photo in the appropriate dimensions, keep the original ratio of the photo, and even puts your watermark if you have one.