Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

About the K20D Price Drop...

Anybody who's been following the price of a K20D recently (those of you who want to upgrade, I'm sure ) have noticed something: it's dropping like a rock. I've heard as low as $879 with the kit lens, which is what a K200D with the dual-lens kit sells for up here in Canuckistan. The K20D with kit lens goes for $1200-1300.

This begs the question: Pentax said that replacements for the K20 and the K200 wouldn't manifest themselves until next year in the summer... can they afford to wait so long? The K20D is by no means a placid performer or in bad need of an upgrade (it still beats out some cameras, like the D90, in raw megapixel count, and it's the best solution for owners of old Pentax glass. I've rarely heard a complaint about the camera on here.

I'm just concerned that, should the price keep dropping, will Pentax actually be able to dig up any resources to launch their new cameras, and by the time they do, will anybody notice, except us? *puzzled* I sure hope the K-m works out for them. It sure does seem like putting all your eggs in one basket though.

10-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
You'd hope they researched the market enough to have made the smrtest move with the K-M. We'll just have to wait and see.
10-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

there are 4 solid sources i would go to for a fair market price

B&H, Amazon and prodigital2000

which ever of those 3 has the cheapest price, thats the legit cheapest price.

the 4th option is that MSN banner thing, where you try your luck to find a pentax K20D with it and score 25% off. However i believe this applies exclusively to Americans (or an american shipping address)

anything else is most likely a scam, unless its used, and if its used, its still damn cheap, so probably stolen.
10-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Damn Brit

They could be shifting as many as they can to clear stocks before the K2000 goes on sale.
Hopefully this will bring the K2000 kit price down.

10-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Still waiting for a K300D on this side of the pond.

Or maybe for a ridiculously cheap K20D.
10-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #6

i have a very solid feeling and a reliable source that says the k20 price drop is ahead of a schedualled pre-christmas DSLR release.

Seing as the K200 still has a lot of interest in the market and the KM is priced at least $100 cheaper, it's looking like we'll see a K30 or a 'KX'. if they keep with the KM name line, oldskool film folks will tell you that the next logical progression is the KX as per the top-of-the-line K-series film bodies.

I feel secure enough about my source that i'm re-directing my funds for nice glass for my k10 to whatever awesomeness occurs before santa comes. I'll just use my FF primes instead of getting the DA* 16-50 and 50-135.
10-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gremlindesign Quote
i have a very solid feeling and a reliable source that says the k20 price drop is ahead of a schedualled pre-christmas DSLR release.

Seing as the K200 still has a lot of interest in the market and the KM is priced at least $100 cheaper, it's looking like we'll see a K30 or a 'KX'. if they keep with the KM name line, oldskool film folks will tell you that the next logical progression is the KX as per the top-of-the-line K-series film bodies.

I feel secure enough about my source that i'm re-directing my funds for nice glass for my k10 to whatever awesomeness occurs before santa comes. I'll just use my FF primes instead of getting the DA* 16-50 and 50-135.
Ok. Just so I'm sure I've understood what you are saying here:

You have a source that tells you to expect that Pentax will release a Full Frame camera called the "KX" before Christmas 2008?

So....

Pentax made the stratigic move to keep this hushed up during the largest Photoshow there is? A photoshow that is only 3 months before Christmas? You don't think photokina was the time and place to unveil the "KX" or "K-x" or "KXD", or is it the K2D?

I think you need to put the cool-aid down and let the rumor mill chill out a bit.

The big event for Christmas is the K-m.

If the price of the K20D is dropping it is to place it against the new D90, and the new 50D. The competition has new products, so now Pentax needs to move on price.

10-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No, gremlindesign never talked about Full Frame. He said there was a new camera coming. It may be a K30D, it may be a 645D although a K30D would be more logical as for price falling is concerned.
10-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #9
Damn Brit

I have seen mention somewhere about the promise of upgrades to the K20 and K200 next year, so that could be why they are shifting them like this.
Maybe they want to be OOS of the K20 and K200 for when the K2000 arrives on the market.
10-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #10
Damn Brit

K2000/M double zoom kit.

Has anyone seen pricing for the kit + 50-200? Amazon are only taking orders for the basic kit.
10-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Quite interested in km model. Good to slip into the pocket.
10-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
You're not a shoplifter are you James?
10-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gremlindesign Quote

This implies a full frame camera. Otherwise why make a direct referance to FF lenses, while avoiding APS-C lenses.

And I think this is yet another, "don't have the facts, but lets stir the crowd" type of posts.

We know they will release a new camera near January. The other option is to close shop and sell SMC coatings to Tokina.

I don't think it will be on the shelves before Christmas, and I don't think it will be full frame.
10-10-2008, 12:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Ok. Just so I'm sure I've understood what you are saying here:

You have a source that tells you to expect that Pentax will release a Full Frame camera called the "KX" before Christmas 2008?

So....

Pentax made the stratigic move to keep this hushed up during the largest Photoshow there is? A photoshow that is only 3 months before Christmas? You don't think photokina was the time and place to unveil the "KX" or "K-x" or "KXD", or is it the K2D?

I think you need to put the cool-aid down and let the rumor mill chill out a bit.

The big event for Christmas is the K-m.

If the price of the K20D is dropping it is to place it against the new D90, and the new 50D. The competition has new products, so now Pentax needs to move on price.
Not sure about the actual existence of such a camera, especially full-frame, but it would be an interesting decision if Pentax does release another DSLR before Christmas this year but not revealing it at Photokina.

Assuming it comes to pass, it might be the case that with all the announcements/releases done at Photokina (5D Mk II, D90, A900, S2, G1, among others), Pentax might have decided that there's too much going on and that their prime model might not get ample press coverage. Not a bad decision, really.

I still think that the K-m would be the last release this year from Pentax, but I would love to be proven wrong, though.
10-10-2008, 01:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
No external display and no battery grip. My next purchase will include these, because I've come to rely on them too much.

Used K10D anyone?