Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photo contest could be a bigger/better prize, random prize to supporters who are active. No random constant posting needed.

07-01-2019, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it's challenging to develop a judging scheme that's truly fair...
Particularly when it comes to things as highly subjective as "which picture do you like best"

Perhaps a random drawing of people who have posted a themed image (good or bad), with an entry per submission, limited to one a day.
Then a bonus prize to the best photo of the batch, with the top 10 picked by popular vote and the winner by a group of judges who are not among the top 10...

An element of randomness, an element of quality, and at the end, a thread full of cool images representing 100 years of the brand...

-Eric
07-01-2019, 06:41 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Can we wait to see if there are any 100th anniversary special products?

Hard to believe they've been around 100 years, and I've been round 70 of them.
07-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Vintage Pentax glass has seen a resurrection primarily due to post processing techniques. Post processing these days is more important than it ever was. It can be used to make up for the deficiencies (e.g. low contrast) of older vintage glass.

Images make with older lenses right out of camera are often "ho-hum" with low IQ. So, let's see how members can improve them with creative post processing.

How about having a post processing of vintage Pentax lens contest? Each submission should include two photos. One would be a jpg directly out of camera. The other would be a processed image after post processing.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 07-01-2019 at 07:00 PM.
07-01-2019, 07:23 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How will "best photo" be judged??
Would this be showing off lenses or showing off PP capability??
How are photos ever judged? Aside from obvious glitches, it's all subjective. One can pontificate about academic theory or "rules", but pretty much everyone can find examples of fantastic photos that don't fit the rule of thirds.
Run the contest along the lines of the monthly contests here. Yes they are popularity contests, but from what I've seen, the winners are justified.

And yes, PP does come into it, unless we limit it to straight OOC jpeg.
07-01-2019, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Vintage Pentax glass has seen a resurrection primarily due to post processing techniques. Post processing these days is more important than it ever was It can be used to make up for the deficiencies (e.g. low contrast) of older vintage glass. .

Images make with older lenses right out of camera are often "ho-hum" with low IQ. So, let's see how members can improve them with creative post processing.

How about having a post processing of vintage Pentax lens contest? Each submission should include two photos. One would be a jpg directly out of camera. The other would be a processed image after post processing.
We could go Off Topic for many pages on this topic, but I won't do that; my point, which you are implicitly agreeing with in the first paragraph, is that once PP is allowed this no longer shows what the lens is capable of. Since we agree on that, I won't say any more.
07-02-2019, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd like the idea of having a contest of photos (with pentax equipment, of course) of something that is just or nearly just as old as Pentax in November to tell a story of 'ageing well' or 'ageing just as well as Pentax has aged'. That would get us to do some background checking and research in addition to the scouting of nice objects and sites and it would allow us to put a century worth of developments and time progressing into perspective and (hopefully) a nice picture. Points go to the degree with which the exact 'birthdate' of Pentax is approached in the object of the photograph, the way in which the ageing story is told (sources to prove the age of the object and an explanation of the ageing story) and the popularity of the picture in a contest. Sounds challenging enough to warrant a nice price and a fair bit of attention.

07-02-2019, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

I am with Norm on the prize front (although there is always the new KP-J ) regarding a photo challenge, judging pictures is too subjective an option for me. Photographers have particular strengths, could anyone judge street vs landscape vs portrait etc.... I personally would prefer a random draw or draws of some kind with the entries limited to existing members who joined prior to any announcement. Lots of people seemed to join for a K1 then disappear again. Thankfully they went to really deserving members. Lenses or camera bodies would be great, in fact, to be honest I would appreciate anything, although these days I look crap in a t shirt so maybe a hoodie?
07-02-2019, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I am with Norm on the prize front (although there is always the new KP-J ) regarding a photo challenge, judging pictures is too subjective an option for me. Photographers have particular strengths, could anyone judge street vs landscape vs portrait etc.... I personally would prefer a random draw or draws of some kind with the entries limited to existing members who joined prior to any announcement. Lots of people seemed to join for a K1 then disappear again. Thankfully they went to really deserving members. Lenses or camera bodies would be great, in fact, to be honest I would appreciate anything, although these days I look crap in a t shirt so maybe a hoodie?
It could be both... a photo entry simultaneously gets you into the random draw for a KP-J, or whatever, then we also do an audience vote as well, like our monthly photo contests here are already done... just can't vote for your own, and the winning photographer of the voting gets a 100Yr TShirt and gets their entry pic(s) on the banner or home page with the 100yr Pentax logo under it or something for a month. I dunno, once again, just thinking out loud.
Eric
07-02-2019, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My thought would be a 2 tiered contest not focused on skill but on improving with random drawings. Have a weekly subject challenge where the picture needs to be taken during that week and people get to enter 1 picture in a manner like the monthly photo contests where no one gets to see them until after the entry period ends. Then after entry period of a week ends have a critique gallery for them open for a week.

The contest would be for a random drawing of something small each week where entries would be earned for:
1. One for entering a photo
2. One each critique you provide (up to 1 per photo)
3. One for each like your critiques get

When I say small weekly prize have it be an account upgrade, t-shirt, or something along those lines. If you win one weekly one you can't win another one but can still win the prize of the next tier. The second tier would be a random drawing for something big, like a body (K-1ii or KP) or super shiny new lens (D FA* 50mm F1.4 anyone) but entries for that would be all the entries one earned for the weekly contests.

Weekly subjects should be fairly generic so that everyone can do them, so things like a specific colors, a road, the night, noon, small, big, little, machines, plants, minimalism, old, new, water, close, far, etc.

Another thought along these lines would be to have an additional big prize but for the image across all weeks that was most liked but to prevent gaming that only accounts that existed before this announcement could like images. Liking an image could only be done during the week that it could be critiqued as well. I would want it so that someone could only win one of the big prizes. This way there is a prize for skill but for those who are substantially less skilled there is still a chance at a big prize.
07-02-2019, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

this is for the 100th Anniversary

what is Pentax known for ?

IMHO: lenses like the limited series, the star series, and being able to use lenses created throughout Pentax's history with various Pentax Cameras

I would urge prizes reflecting that
07-02-2019, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'd suggest a raffle with entry open to anyone with more than, say, 100 posts and 3 months membership.
There are some fantastic photographers who routinely post on this site, but I like the idea of a newer / less-experienced but enthusiastic Pentax shooter having a fair shot at winning a prize so I support Mark's suggestion. Demonstrated enthusiasm and active participation on the forums effectively gets you a raffle ticket. And any photography-related goodies with a Pentax logo on them would be great!

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
My thought would be a 2 tiered contest not focused on skill but on improving with random drawings. Have a weekly subject challenge where the picture needs to be taken during that week and people get to enter 1 picture in a manner like the monthly photo contests where no one gets to see them until after the entry period ends. Then after entry period of a week ends have a critique gallery for them open for a week.

The contest would be for a random drawing of something small each week where entries would be earned for:
1. One for entering a photo
2. One each critique you provide (up to 1 per photo)
3. One for each like your critiques get

When I say small weekly prize have it be an account upgrade, t-shirt, or something along those lines. If you win one weekly one you can't win another one but can still win the prize of the next tier. The second tier would be a random drawing for something big, like a body (K-1ii or KP) or super shiny new lens (D FA* 50mm F1.4 anyone) but entries for that would be all the entries one earned for the weekly contests.

Weekly subjects should be fairly generic so that everyone can do them, so things like a specific colors, a road, the night, noon, small, big, little, machines, plants, minimalism, old, new, water, close, far, etc.

Another thought along these lines would be to have an additional big prize but for the image across all weeks that was most liked but to prevent gaming that only accounts that existed before this announcement could like images. Liking an image could only be done during the week that it could be critiqued as well. I would want it so that someone could only win one of the big prizes. This way there is a prize for skill but for those who are substantially less skilled there is still a chance at a big prize.
And this is a great idea too!
07-02-2019, 08:43 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
As a winner in that very generous giveaway, I think more members would love to win a K-1! Or a KP! I'd suggest a raffle with entry open to anyone with more than, say, 100 posts and 3 months membership.

Other options could include a special 100 year Pentax shirt.
I do like to idea of others here to have a photography competition too, using older lenses. I'd go so far as to venture - What about a competition using any Pentax manual focus lens?

In the end, I think anything you decide to do, Adam, will be welcomed by all members.
I’m in
07-03-2019, 12:03 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

For me, it's 65 of them, and I have lugged around a 13 pound Pentax lens..since 1988, or 1987?...but I am in good enough shape the lens, tripod, camera and accessories do not stop me from my 10 mile hikes. Someday that will change, but not tomorrow!.........
07-03-2019, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #30
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This contest/giveaway is a great idea. It should be something that involves everyone, no matter which skill level or experience.

Maybe an idea that presents something to the Pentax people to honor them and their efforts. Like a big mosaic created from PF contributors' photos where each photo represents a pixel. Perhaps the mosaic could be the Pentax 100 sign, but that is just b/w. Something more colorful might be better. We as PF members could contribute photos with a dominant color which is needed to create the mosaic. Winners by random draw. Just an idea.