Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax teams up with Lens Baby!

Talked to the Lens Baby rep. He was happy to talk to someone selling & using Pentax. He has used them for 30 years. Over half the order was Pentax mount. Not their average order.

Then he told me that Pentax had sent them a K200D to demonstrate the new lenses on at a future show. So everyone will see a Lens Baby at the show on the Pentax K200D! Pretty cool Pentax! Neat marketing idea.

He was excited that the Pentax provided image stabilization with a Lens Baby. The camera was due to arrive tomorrow. Hope they do more of this in the future.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #11 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #12. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!

10-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i wish Lensbaby would make real aperture blades but the new composer model is definitely a step in the right direction in terms of usability
10-10-2008, 01:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I was always enchanted by the creative possibilities of these lensbabies but never got one finding their handling too cumbersome. This new Composer looks much more interesting though. Pity they always get more expensive. Perhaps I'll put it on my Christmas wishlist though.

Tx for this post, I had missed the announcement of the new lensbaby.

Wim
10-10-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Holga lenses are cheaper than lensbabies.

Still a very neat marketing idea from Pentax.

10-10-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The water house stops are interesting to work with. They could build a lens with real aperture rings but then you would lose a fair amount of creative versatility.
1. Water house stops are round at any aperture. So the bokeh is incredible.
2. There are creative apertures shaped like hearts, stars , etc. This allows out of focus point sources to be that shape!
3. Many advanced Lens Baby users make their own apertures. This can be wild shapes, Multiple aperture holes in the same disc, etc. It gets pretty wild. Buy a 1" hole punch at crafts store and go wild. Guess they could maybe figure out a way to build apertures in them and have them lock wide open to add creative apertures. Then the cost would go up!

Cost keeps going up. Well the 3G allows you to lock the lens in any bent position. Basically the new composer does the same. They both sell for $270. The Muse sells for the same price as the older 2.0 and adds optic swap. Don't see the greater expense. Lens Babys can be bought for under $100 new.

Holga probably is less expensive than a LB. Not as adaptable though. Nothing can match the ability to move the sweet spot around and use creative apertures. Heck the new lenses allow sharp lens, single element glass lens, single element plastic, pinhole , and zone plate optics. Who would have guessed a glass plate with a "target" on it could take an image?
Lens Baby is the first lens that has matched my fisheye for pure creative fun. Try one.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #11 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #12. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now.

Last edited by barondla; 10-10-2008 at 12:30 PM.