Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 98 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2019, 06:25 AM - 2 Likes   #16

Photos: Albums
Seems like Ricoh redesigned the hood to make it work with the K1 in FF mode. And prevent people to saw it of

This one at least have more redesign than just the HD coatings on the FA 35.

07-05-2019, 06:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Removeable hood is a big news! You don’t have to butcher this anymore to use it on FF? Oops noticed similar post ahead of me. But it is wort to be mentioned twice
07-05-2019, 06:49 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe it was time for a new production run and no old glass available, so HD is the way to go.
Perhaps. Or also possibly they no longer have the machines to do the old SMC coating. So when a new batch is required they have to move to HD and use the new coating machines and process.

Some good news at any rate because it means they have sold enough of this lens that inventory levels require a another run.
07-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Removeable hood is a big news! You don’t have to butcher this anymore to use it on FF? Oops noticed similar post ahead of me. But it is wort to be mentioned twice
I don't think it is removable, but clearly bigger, so no shading over FF coverage.

07-05-2019, 07:52 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
I don't think it is removable, but clearly bigger, so no shading over FF coverage.
Still a DA lens. Do you think that lens would work on the K1 without much vignetting?
07-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I doubt it... but remmovable hood will maybe make format 1:1 usable on K-1 ?
07-05-2019, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #22
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the existing DA 10-17 and, while I like it a lot, the PF is a very real issue with this lens. I’ve long thought this lens would benefit more than any other from getting the latest coatings.

Is AF honestly an issue with this category of lens? I’m never tracking anything with it, or concerned about silent focusing. You’d be so close to the subject that they’d know you were there anyway.

Also, was the integrated lens hood the only thing that prevented this from covering the full frame? It worked just fine on my MZ-3 at the “long” end, so perhaps this will work on full frame a bit wider.

07-05-2019, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
It is removable since it has a dedicated spare part number: PH-RBA60.
07-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Still a DA lens. Do you think that lens would work on the K1 without much vignetting?
Define 'vignetting'

http://www.criseis.ruhr.de/bilder/pentax_10mm/zoom3.jpg

Source: Shaving the Pentax SMC DA 10-17mm Fisheye hood for full frame use - PentaxForums.com
07-05-2019, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Sounds awesome to me! Perhaps this is one of reasons they cancelled dedicated FF FE zoom from roadmap? Perhaps I should add this new HD to my lens line. No FE so far... Shots that I have seen from smc version has been great but with a lot of PF. Oh well so many things to buy already! (’Click’ Locking my credit card in a vault).
07-05-2019, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
They are indeed very smart at Ricoh Imaging's, Pentax products division: they have to cope with minuscule R&D budgets, therefore they chose to cancel the roadmapped Fish-Eye Zoom Lens and to revamp the DA Fish-Eye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 with a removable hood instead, so that people could use the revamped lens with a 24x36 camera.
07-05-2019, 08:51 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Perhaps. Or also possibly they no longer have the machines to do the old SMC coating. So when a new batch is required they have to move to HD and use the new coating machines and process.

Some good news at any rate because it means they have sold enough of this lens that inventory levels require a another run.
Don’t most of their current lenses have SMC coating on the inner elements? (They just refer to it as multi-coating now).

Read Multicoating | Ghostless paragraph Multicoating
07-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
They are indeed very smart at Ricoh Imaging's, Pentax products division: they have to cope with minuscule R&D budgets, therefore they chose to cancel the roadmapped Fish-Eye Zoom Lens and to revamp the DA Fish-Eye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 with a removable hood instead, so that people could use the revamped lens with a 24x36 camera.
FWIW, they seem to read the forum and act to make our lives easier
07-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Don’t most of their current lenses have SMC coating on the inner elements? (They just refer to it as multi-coating now).

Read Multicoating | Ghostless paragraph Multicoating
I couldn't see anything to indicate this (in another note about the history of lens coatings, it is mentioned that SMC with 7 layers was an advance on the two layers applied to non-SMC lenses, hence the term "multi-coating"). Based on this:"Compared with a conventional seven-layer coating applied by a vacuum evaporation process, the new HD Coating forms an eight-layer coating with a uniform layer thickness, created by a high-precision, ion-assisted evaporation process. This is further reinforced by a ninth coating added to the outermost layer by a vacuum evaporation process " I would think that the same process would be used for all glass elements being produced at the same time, which makes me wonder how much of a parts inventory is left over from 2014 when HD coatings were introduced. The coating is applied after the glass element is ground, so unless Pentax lenses use elements from more than one source or if elements with SMC coatings are being produced for third parties, I would be surprised if the SMC process is still being used.
07-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
FWIW, they seem to read the forum and act to make our lives easier
I have the F version but there’s a hitch in the zoom helicoid. This might be an interesting replacement but there are so many things ahead of it on the ‘want but don’t need’ list.
Closed Thread