Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 98 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Issue is - there is no way to hold your fingers away from the ring with DA 35 and DA50 or DA Ltds...
I need to hold the camera like a point and shoot - all around its body and keep away from the lens. And that can be frustrating at times...
Lately ive been using DA primes in manual focus only mode because of how frustrating it can get.
Its an exapmle of gear getting in the way of taking photos.
Sure it is I do it all the time but as Paul stated there has been no consistency

07-06-2019, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #77
Forum Member

I have the smc version - the thing that they should change on the lens is the lens aperture - the smc version is making ugly stars ;-)
07-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Sure it is I do it all the time but as Paul stated there has been no consistency
Well... maybe you can. Dont know how
But i really cant.
Its not an issue on bigger lenses but on DA primes it really is an unsolvable problem for me.
07-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In my case, when I'm using the relatively small 35/50 mm primes I hold the camera from the side and below, and normally rest my fingers on the aperture ring (so quite close to the body). I haven't had the chance to try a ltd. prime yet, though

07-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #80
Veteran Member

There is no aperture ring on da primes.
And there is no chance people with big hands dont touch the focusing ring. Only way for me to use those DAs is to wrap my hands across camera body. Not really pleasant way to hold a camera.
07-06-2019, 06:13 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well... maybe you can. Dont know how
But i really cant.
Its not an issue on bigger lenses but on DA primes it really is an unsolvable problem for me.
You mean you can't cradle the base plate of the camera in the palm of your left hand and reach out slightly with your fingers and wrap them around the lens barrel. That's what I do when using smallish primes even with a smallish camera like the K-50.
07-06-2019, 10:29 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, but there is a nice grippy bit next to the mount where the aperture ring should be
QuoteQuote:
And there is no chance people with big hands don't touch the focusing ring. Only way for me to use those DAs is to wrap my hands across camera body. Not really pleasant way to hold a camera.
I have pretty big hands too, but have no trouble with the DA Limiteds. For what it's worth, with the KP I put my left thumb over the AF/MF selector switch on the body. My left index finger curls around underneath the barrel to grip the right side of the camera's mirror box. My Left middle finger curls up under the body, creating a nice flat surface roughly where the tripod socket is. Nothing touches any part of the lens at all, but my thumb and index fingers are right there if I want to use the focus ring.

I find this to be extremely comfortable and stable. Maybe it's worth a try.

Of course with the DA10-17 (the subject of this thread), there's plenty of barrel or zoom ring to grip without going anywhere near the very forward-placed focus ring.

07-06-2019, 11:45 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
You mean you can't cradle the base plate of the camera in the palm of your left hand and reach out slightly with your fingers and wrap them around the lens barrel. That's what I do when using smallish primes even with a smallish camera like the K-50.
Well. I can while camera is idle bit when i engage AF theres no way i can not get my fingers all over focusing ring so i have to hold the camera the other way (awkward way).
07-06-2019, 11:53 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unless you want to use an non-auto extension tube for macro, aperture ring has been replaced by front or back dial on Pentax DSLR (it's been like that for more than two decades).

And there is no chance people with big hands dont touch the focusing ring.
Just hold the camera with the right hand and you'll be fine.
07-06-2019, 11:54 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Yeah, but there is a nice grippy bit next to the mount where the aperture ring should be

I have pretty big hands too, but have no trouble with the DA Limiteds. For what it's worth, with the KP I put my left thumb over the AF/MF selector switch on the body. My left index finger curls around underneath the barrel to grip the right side of the camera's mirror box. My Left middle finger curls up under the body, creating a nice flat surface roughly where the tripod socket is. Nothing touches any part of the lens at all, but my thumb and index fingers are right there if I want to use the focus ring.

I find this to be extremely comfortable and stable. Maybe it's worth a try.

Of course with the DA10-17 (the subject of this thread), there's plenty of barrel or zoom ring to grip without going anywhere near the very forward-placed focus ring.
If i hold it that way i have to bend fingers and it gets really unconfortable to hold after a while.
Tried pretty much everything and just gave up and now im mostly using the DA primes in manual focus mode.
Rotating focusing ring on such small lenses where i cant find a hold on the lens itself ia just an ergonomical nightmare for me.
Hope that Ricoh addresses that sooner that these coatings.
HD coatings really wont make a lot of current users buy the same lens.
07-06-2019, 11:57 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tried pretty much everything and just gave up and now im mostly using the DA primes in manual focus mode.
Cameras have auto-focus now. It's not like in the 60s. We are in 2019 now. We have to live with our times.
07-07-2019, 12:18 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Cameras have auto-focus now. It's not like in the 60s. We are in 2019 now. We have to live with our times.
Yeh but then again - modern lenses have decoupled focusing rings during AF.
07-07-2019, 01:09 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeh but then again - modern lenses have decoupled focusing rings during AF.
Indeed but they also have the equivalent of Pentax Quick-Shift Focus: if you touch the focus ring, even if imperceptibly, you override the autofocus and shift the focus. Therefore you shan't touch the focus ring either.
07-07-2019, 01:13 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Indeed but they also have the equivalent of Pentax Quick-Shift Focus: if you touch the focus ring, even if imperceptibly, you override the autofocus and shift the focus. Therefore you shan't touch the focus ring either.
DA primes dont have quick shift at all... Anyways... not talking about all feauters here jus bits that get in the way of taking photos and rotating ring during AF is just that.
07-07-2019, 01:26 AM   #90
Pentaxian

DA primes dont have quick shift at all... Anyways... not talking about all feauters here jus bits that get in the way of taking photos and rotating ring during AF is just that.
obviously for you. I, on the other hand, hate focus by wire, that modern lenses have. rotating focus ring on the 20-40 ltd with quick shift works like a charm for me.
Closed Thread