Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 98 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #151
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New 10-17mm lens update

Read the press release - hood removal is to allow nearly circular images on K-1. Now we need test images over the entire focal length range, and Ricoh to do an update to the SMC versions to remove the fixed hood.

07-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Ricoh to do an update to the SMC versions to remove the fixed hood.
How???
07-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #153
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Read the press release - hood removal is to allow nearly circular images on K-1. Now we need test images over the entire focal length range, and Ricoh to do an update to the SMC versions to remove the fixed hood.
Hi MLT

Just revamp the hood ?
A new body sleave would have to be machined to change hood from fixed to removable.
Some say the new HD version is fatter than a SMC version
I would maybe change ..if.. the purple fringing is non existant

Dave
07-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it’s feasible, I find it more likely someone will do it as a 3D printed part or something like that rather than Ricoh releasing a retrofit.

Every lens modified is a lens Ricoh doesn’t sell...

-Eric

07-08-2019, 05:56 PM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
No, my expectations are something else. You could re read my posts to see exactly what, cause 0 lenses i have issues with have quick shift.
Ill stick for a while but if Ricoh cant get gear i want on the market I'll look elsewhere.
Trickortreat here is your first post in this thread to what your expectations is in future DA lenses is to do away with Quick-Shift:

QuoteQuote:
I really wish they start updatint the mechanical part of DA lenses rather than coatings and cosmetics.
Rotating focusing ring during af shoul really be a thing of the past.
07-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA*55 vignettes (slightly) even without the hood. Changing the hood isn’t going to fix anything.
Nonetheless it does seem to get some kind of press release mention;

"The exterior of the lens has been redesigned to match the design of the latest PENTAX K-mount digital SLR models, and also to make its lens hood removable. When mounted on a PENTAX K-1 or PENTAX K-1 Mark II camera body, the photographer can remove the lens hood to produce nearly circular fish-eye images, expanding the range for photographic expressions."

I guess it's better than nothing lol. I mean I'd still like a hood with it on the K-1 haha.
07-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA*55 vignettes (slightly) even without the hood. Changing the hood isn’t going to fix anything.
That is not the sentiment to how people reviewed the DA*55 using the K-1. They all say it is excellent except for the hood.

07-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #158
Veteran Member

tokina already did the "FF" conversion way back ago, for canon, nikon.
It is still a mystery whether the lens is built/design by Tokina.
07-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Groove for front element heater???
Attached Images

07-08-2019, 08:02 PM   #160
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
That is not the sentiment to how people reviewed the DA*55 using the K-1. They all say it is excellent except for the hood.
I have been shooting my DA*55 on the K-1 for over three years. It is excellent, but not perfect. In some instances there is a small hard vignette in the corners, even without the hood. I always use the hood anyway.
07-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Nonetheless it does seem to get some kind of press release mention;

"The exterior of the lens has been redesigned to match the design of the latest PENTAX K-mount digital SLR models, and also to make its lens hood removable. When mounted on a PENTAX K-1 or PENTAX K-1 Mark II camera body, the photographer can remove the lens hood to produce nearly circular fish-eye images, expanding the range for photographic expressions."

I guess it's better than nothing lol. I mean I'd still like a hood with it on the K-1 haha.
The comment of mine that you quoted is about a different lens though Eddy
07-08-2019, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #162
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
More images and info here. (Japanese)
???????? HD PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED ?????? - ??????????by????????

There’s a lot information on full frame coverage with and without the hood, but I haven’t had time to read it yet.
07-08-2019, 10:37 PM - 3 Likes   #163
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
tokina already did the "FF" conversion way back ago, for canon, nikon.
It is still a mystery whether the lens is built/design by Tokina.
It is not: designed by Pentax, redesigned by Ricoh Imaging, built by Ricoh Imaging.

The optical formula was patented by Pentax and the lens is assembled in Vietnam. Tokina use the optical formula under licence and build their own version(s).

The US patent application published on March the 1st, 2007: FISHEYE LENS SYSTEM AND A FISHEYE ZOOM LENS SYSTEM

The inventors are Messrs Takayuki Ito (co-inventor of, inter alia, the smc Pentax-FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited and the smc Pentax-DA★ 60-250mm f/4 ED [IF] SDM) and Jun Irakawa, whom one doesn't need to introduce.
07-08-2019, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #164
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Groove for front element heater???
The answer is no and it comes from the Yaotomi report linked by JPT:

'Is the groove just below the hood for a lens heater? I asked the question: it would physically interfere with the focus ring. Unlike the 11-18mm, it's not designed with lens heater in mind.'
07-08-2019, 11:57 PM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Trickortreat here is your first post in this thread to what your expectations is in future DA lenses is to do away with Quick-Shift:
Wow. I like your reading comprehention :/
You might try to re read that again...
Closed Thread