Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh USA Office Relocating

Behind a paywall, but all I can find so far:

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2019/07/10/ricoh-usa-cuts-offi...-half.amp.html

I have found other references but they mostly just report sq footage and location.

Not imaging offices btw.

07-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #2

The article mentions Ricoh's print-based business (printers and copier division) and no announced reduction of staff.
07-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They have an office here in Boston-downtown, that's pretty big, if that means anything (or is this saying that they are moving?)
07-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
They have an office here in Boston-downtown, that's pretty big, if that means anything (or is this saying that they are moving?)
I haven't been able to get to read the data. I'm glad that another user says no reduction in staff.

07-10-2019, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

From the article:
QuoteOriginally posted by Natalie Kostelni, Philadelphia Business Journal:
Ricoh USA Inc. has slashed the amount of office space it occupies by more than half and is relocating its headquarters to Exton from its long-term home in Malvern.

The company leased 45,971 square feet at 300 Eagleview Blvd. in Exton and is relocating out of 107,000 square feet at 70 Valley Stream Parkway in Malvern. (...)

“No job loss is directly associated with this move,” the company said in a statement. The relocation and reduction in space are part of the company’s desire to modernize its office space and incorporate new, evolving work styles in its space, it said.

(...)
07-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That would be the office machine part of the company.

Steve
07-16-2019, 10:30 PM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Ricoh office that was in Bellevue WA is gone. Has been for over a year now. I guess Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing and Google have all gone with Canon or Xerox for their photocopy/print business. Ricoh is dead here.

07-29-2019, 05:19 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Forum Member

Ricoh USA Commits to 56K SF at 2 Gatehall in Parsippany, NJ | GlobeSt

meanwhile as of February, in Parsippany, NJ, a new building, Onsite amenities include a state-of-the-art fitness center with all-new training equipment and a private yoga studio, adjacent to new locker facilities.

PARSIPPANY, NJ—Electronics industry giant Ricoh USA has leased 55,893 square feet at 2 Gatehall in Parsippany. The new location will house back-office operations for the production print products, services and solutions firm.

Cushman & Wakefield’s William O’Keefe, Charles P. Parmelli, Curtis Foster, and Jerry Shifrin represented landlord Silverman Realty Group of White Plains, NY in brokering the long-term lease. Drew W. Persson of Newmark Knight Frank served as broker for Ricoh USA, which will relocate to 2 Gatehall from West Caldwell, NJ.

A recently completed, multimillion-dollar renovation at the class A office property was key in securing the Ricoh USA commitment, according to O’Keefe. “Silverman Realty Group orchestrated a comprehensive improvement program to elevate 2 Gatehall’s position as a go-to address,” he says. “This effort to attract high-end companies and build on an already impressive tenant roster is proving out.”
08-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by h.butz Quote
Ricoh USA Commits to 56K SF at 2 Gatehall in Parsippany, NJ | GlobeSt

meanwhile as of February, in Parsippany, NJ, a new building, Onsite amenities include a state-of-the-art fitness center with all-new training equipment and a private yoga studio, adjacent to new locker facilities.

PARSIPPANY, NJ—Electronics industry giant Ricoh USA has leased 55,893 square feet at 2 Gatehall in Parsippany. The new location will house back-office operations for the production print products, services and solutions firm....”
I ran into a guy from this office in DeKorte Park in Lyndhurst two or three weeks ago.

He stopped me to tell me he worked there when he saw my K3-II.

We got to talking and it turns out... he shoots a Sony A7. He expressed some genuine wonder as to "...why Ricoh ever bought Pentax". Interesting guy.

Make of that what you will.
08-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikek200d Quote
I ran into a guy from this office in DeKorte Park in Lyndhurst two or three weeks ago.

He stopped me to tell me he worked there when he saw my K3-II.

We got to talking and it turns out... he shoots a Sony A7. He expressed some genuine wonder as to "...why Ricoh ever bought Pentax". Interesting guy.

Make of that what you will.
What I make of it is he obviously didn't work for the camera division and if he did he needs his tail fired.
08-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
What I make of it is he obviously didn't work for the camera division and if he did he needs his tail fired.
Or he did work for the "camera division" (U.S. distribution) and that's part of why Pentax didn't had much success on that continent
08-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Or he did work for the "camera division" (U.S. distribution) and that's part of why Pentax didn't had much success on that continent
The problem with @mikek200d's statement is we don't know the context of the full discussion. I certainly don't believe that the guy walked up and said "I see you have a Pentax K-3II, I work at Ricoh USA and don't know why Ricoh bought Pentax and BTW, I shoot a far superior camera an OLD Sony A7."
08-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #13
Banned

Photos: Gallery
There was never much integration of Ricoh (all other businesses outside Ricoh-Imaging) and the new camera business that was formed in 2011. Probably never will reach any important level at all.
08-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
There was never much integration of Ricoh (all other businesses outside Ricoh-Imaging) and the new camera business that was formed in 2011. Probably never will reach any important level at all.
That's OK as long as they can be profitable building great cameras.
08-07-2019, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
The problem with @mikek200d's statement is we don't know the context of the full discussion. I certainly don't believe that the guy walked up and said "I see you have a Pentax K-3II, I work at Ricoh USA and don't know why Ricoh bought Pentax and BTW, I shoot a far superior camera an OLD Sony A7."

Well, first, I didn't say that that was how the conversation went, but thanks for adding the fiction. It's always entertaining when people presuppose what others meant to say, instead of just asking. You know, like, a conversation. So, let's solve the problem with my statement, shall we?

More to the point, then, the conversation started, as they mostly do when I'm out shooting birds, regarding his surprise at seeing a Pentax camera being used for that purpose. I wasn't sure if he was more surprised at (or first noticed) the camera, or the Pentax 150-450 that I had rented for the weekend; although he had clearly been living in the states for a long time, he did have a distinctly Korean accent and odd way of delivering his speech, so I may have mixed those two up (he mentioned both), but I think that's a distinction without a difference. In any event, for the most part, the context of the discussion centered on his confusion, as a clearly techy type of guy, as to why Ricoh ever purchased Pentax (i.e., beyond the medical imaging technology), and especially why they kept the photography division going. I'm not sure that that makes this context any better. True, he didn't say that this was the general tenor of the feeling at Ricoh, but he did say, when I asked him, that it was known throughout the company that the photo division was working, as he put it, "extremely hard" on the successor camera, and again seemed to be befuddled by that. If you had asked, I would have been happy to just tell you that.

Oh, and before I forget, last time I looked, the Sony a7 is fully modern, mirrorless camera of a continuing line, despite there having been subsequent, derivative models, but I could be wrong. Also, so that there are no further mysteries with regard to my statement, I identified it as an a7, and don't recall saying he offered what it was (other than holding it up when I asked him what he was shooting, and we both laughed a bit at the irony), but I'm not a Sony aficionado, and I could be wrong, but at a minimum, I recognized the a7 logo; I wouldn't know what else to look for, frankly, regarding the later derivatives. If it was a later derivative, I have no idea, but this was not an older camera, certainly no older than mine which is now 2 years discontinued, without a known replacement. He was aware that that my camera had been out of production for a while, and wondered why I wasn't using "the full frame camera" (I'm assuming that he meant the K1). Again, he's clearly a "new and shiny" techy guy... but so are a lot of other people. In any event, he expressed his desire to be using mirrorless technology (for the usual reasons of weight and size), along with a substantially long, Sony lens. Regardless, this was not a budget rig, by any measure. As far as mirrorless goes, I don't believe there is any comparable offering in the Pentax line. Regardless, whether it was an a7, or if it had been a Sony DSLR, or a Nikon, or a Canon, or a Panasonic or a Kodak Brownie, the point would be the same; it wasn't a Pentax, and I think that's curious, at the least.

He seemed to be a decent enough guy, but it wasn't a long conversation; I don't think that either one of us was much in the mood to stay in one place too long that morning, either, since it was already hitting 90+ by 7 a.m. We had come upon each other traveling in opposite directions, and so we continued as such.

By the way, the point of the post was to be brief (so much for that), while also being a bit cheeky with regard to the incredibly obvious, glaring irony, while, again, leaving you to make of it what you would. Make of that what you will.