Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Karen the Star Quote
I love KP, it's a very fantastic APS-C actually.

What I'm not satisfy with it is that I have to buy an additional GPS for active this function, not too bad, but GPS itself needs power supply from Alkaline battery instead of getting power from camera itself which is not so convenience and that's making more pollution.
I delved into some Astro work earlier in he year, when I was somewhere with clear, dark skies. I really enjoyed it, and resolved to do more - skies are a bit brightly lit where I live though. I didnít have my KP then, but I was wanting to take some longer exposures without star trails, and was thinking that the Astro Tracer function sounded like it would hit the mark.

I since picked up a KP with Bonus GPS, but ironically Iím considering selling the GPS and buying a Star Adventurer eq mount instead (I hear it does a better job than Astro Tracer). Could also use the Star Adventurer on an IR converted camera!

08-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Star Adventurer is certainly going to give you a much longer tracking time if you have good polar alignment. It's also got various other options, like lunar or solar tracking speed, which aren't at all possible with Astrotracer. But it's a much bigger thing to haul around and set up. Ultimately, I decided that astro wasn't a big enough deal for me to have a dedicated mount, and I sold mine and have just stuck with the Astrotracer.
08-12-2019, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #78

If you build it, they will come...

Aaaaand another missed opportunity by Pentax... My wallet was getting itchy, until I saw the business only limitation .
OEM IR photography, with no hassles but some visible light filters. A dream [not!] come true.

Don't know if the peeping is the real reason to not sell it to the general public, but it does make sense [in a mad, mad world].
As for liability, I don't see knife manufacturers being sued in the UK, or gun manufacturers anywhere else, so who knows how far that'd fly.
Although, in a world where people blame others for their choices/actions, and it's accepted, it wouldn't surprise me.

So, they don't put out something we want and can buy (K3...), but instead something we want and are not allowed to buy. Not nice...

Carry on... waiting... for Pentax... to give us at least a Christmas present (even if we're the ones paying for it).
08-12-2019, 07:28 AM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote

Aaaaand another missed opportunity by Pentax... My wallet was getting itchy, until I saw the business only limitation .
OEM IR photography, with no hassles but some visible light filters. A dream [not!] come true.

Don't know if the peeping is the real reason to not sell it to the general public, but it does make sense [in a mad, mad world].
As for liability, I don't see knife manufacturers being sued in the UK, or gun manufacturers anywhere else, so who knows how far that'd fly.
Although, in a world where people blame others for their choices/actions, and it's accepted, it wouldn't surprise me.

So, they don't put out something we want and can buy (K3...), but instead something we want and are not allowed to buy. Not nice...

Carry on... waiting... for Pentax... to give us at least a Christmas present (even if we're the ones paying for it).
I have no insider information or anything like that, but the 2 possible dates would be November with a possible announcment and/or release or around CP+ 2020. If nothing materializes on those 2 dates, then who knows when it will come.

08-13-2019, 08:12 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote

Why not do a conversion? A DSLR wouldn't be my first choice, but it's not that hard to get into IR, or that expensive. But Kolari Vision is selling a brand new K-1ii converted. I guess you might lose the warranty from Pentax, But Kolari has a one year warranty on the conversion and any issues arising from it.