Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2019, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Today there are lot of possibilities to convert digital cameras to IR spectrum. I do not see any real problems to sell IR-dedicated cameras for customers. I have 2 converted Pentax DSLRs and use them quite often for landscapes and even portraiture. No real visibility of women's underwear )))

P.S. This KP IR camera is not infrared only, according to description, it is Full spectrum. For IR spectrum you should use external filter. So, really, nothing special - hot mirror is replaced by clear glass filter (for refraction purposes).

07-12-2019, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Today there are lot of possibilities to convert digital cameras to IR spectrum. I do not see any real problems to sell IR-dedicated cameras for customers
I also don't see why Ricoh wouldn't sell special variants of products on order to anyone interested, if they don't want to take the risk of building up inventory. They've make the K1 II upgrade service which was a much bigger deal than just making small batches of IR models.
07-12-2019, 04:14 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah I want one! C'mon Pentax! Sell me a IR KP already!
07-12-2019, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Very cunning. I wonder why they won't sell it to the general public? (Not that I would buy one - but, there's bound to be some who would.)
Well, the Pentax K-1 ii of my workplace is currently being modified not just for near-IR but also for near-UV, in other words a full-spectrum conversion is being done. So yes, there are some who would

07-12-2019, 06:05 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yeah I want one! C'mon Pentax! Sell me a IR KP already!
I completely agree. Special products should be abailable to customers as well.
Now we have KolariVision, LifePixel etc. that do conversion of many cameras, but there are some difficulties with Pentax brand. Not long time ago even Kolarivision did not provide conversion service of Pentax APSC models. Maybe due to relative rarity of pentaxians who would like to shoot infrared. But in reality there are no problems to make conversion even at home. I did it 3 times.
I would like to have dedicated IR K-1, but even Kolarivision does not provide this service for relatively big price. They can do full spectrum conversion only. It is pitty.
07-12-2019, 06:16 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd pick one up. As Medex mentions Lifepixel will not convert any Pentax camera and Kolarivision will only do full spectrum for the K-1.
07-12-2019, 06:19 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Now we have KolariVision, LifePixel etc. that do conversion of many cameras, but there are some difficulties with Pentax brand.
I guess it is much easier to have the full spectrum sensor units as an option before camera assembly at the factory, than to have to remove filters on already assembled/calibrated camera.

07-12-2019, 06:34 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I guess it is much easier to have the full spectrum sensor units as an option before camera assembly at the factory, than to have to remove filters on already assembled/calibrated camera.
Yes. I agree. But with full spectrum camera you have obligation to use external filters. Some wide angle lenses as 15-30 and Samyang 14mm do not accept round filters. 100 mm or 150mm infrared ones will cost more than gold. Ant with external filters you cant focus through the optical viewfinder what is less convenient.
Here systemic cameras with electronic viewfinder win.
07-12-2019, 06:42 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those wanting to purchase, there is no need to make online demands. All you need to do is to contact them directly with details of how the camera will be used in your business or research, though I suspect it may be cheaper to buy a used K-3 and have the conversion done as an aftermarket service.

FWIW, Ricoh is not the only firm that does this sort of thing. Ruggedized cell phones often have limited sales distribution as well.

Steve
07-12-2019, 06:42 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Is the IR component of the older Sony video cameras not the feature that allowed the photographer to see through light clothing at the beach? Or as I recall, a girl in a light tee shirt was practically naked. It was a thing for awhile, honest.
07-12-2019, 06:46 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes. I agree. But with full spectrum camera you have obligation to use external filters. Some wide angle lenses as 15-30 and Samyang 14mm do not accept round filters. 100 mm or 150mm infrared ones will cost more than gold. Ant with external filters you cant focus through the optical viewfinder what is less convenient.
Here systemic cameras with electronic viewfinder win.
Sure but many like the added flexibility of having near-UV in the repertoire as well. And live view is the way to go with UV focusing anyways.

We will have visible pass -filters for purposes of normal photography for every Pentax lens that we have.
07-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
Sure but many like the added flexibility of having near-UV in the repertoire as well. And live view is the way to go with UV focusing anyways.

We will have visible pass -filters for purposes of normal photography for every Pentax lens that we have.
I can't speak for sure about UV photogtaphy, but Klaus Schmit can. He is in that field and as I remember he uses special lenses (quartz), because ordinary multicoated lenses block UV.
07-12-2019, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
I still have my Sony DSC-F717 that has the movable IR filter, by default it only works in auto mode so cannot use in daylight.
You can turn "daylight" into "night" with a neutral density filter. Use this knowledge only for good.
07-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #29
Pentaxian

A lot of museums get IR filters removed on their cameras. So there is a market - next to a ton of industrial cameras that would do the job, but require more brain to put them to work.

Is the camera monochrome, or just a KP without it Filter and rgb Pixels. Some companies are shaving rgb filters off the sensor for extreme monochrome resolution.
07-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
A lot of museums get IR filters removed on their cameras. So there is a market - next to a ton of industrial cameras that would do the job, but require more brain to put them to work.

Is the camera monochrome, or just a KP without it Filter and rgb Pixels. Some companies are shaving rgb filters off the sensor for extreme monochrome resolution.
Use Google translate to read the full blurb and technical details.

Steve