Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 148 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2019, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
You know, when the anime series I watch on a streaming service in Japanese with English subtitles doesn’t market merchandise, I don’t mind. I get that it was designed for someone who is not me, and I count myself fortunate to have experienced it.

But when a company with an online store presence in my country puts up celebratory posts, hosts a contest, and such, I expect a little more.

I’m not asking for celebrity presentations or cakes shaped like lenses. I’m asking that they sell me a shirt or a mug...

-Eric
This ^^^

... and I can tell you from personal experience in the tech industry, that seeing people get ripped off buying phony Adobe and Microsoft Keys off Amazon and Ebay, totally ripped off when the key eventually fails (they usually work for a while until the live licensing server locks those phony keys) that are perpetuated by other countries that have ZERO respect for copy-write and outright fraud, should be able to take a non-profit infringement that only will advertise their brand more, with a grain of salt. I'd wager most EVERY cheapo electronic piece you buy in a 5 & 10 store that has a UL Listing Cert on cables is a phony. Phooey!
Eric

10-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #107
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Along the lines of copyright issues.

I took the photograph below in 1986, of Paul Newman racing at Portland, Oregon.

Recently I copied the slide with my Pentax K5IIs, then worked on it some in Photoshop, and came up with something I wanted to print on a t-shirt. The first t-shirt company I tried refused, citing a recognizable image of Paul Newman. I insisted that since I own the image, it is mine to do with as I choose, no matter who it is a photo of. They still declined to print up a couple shirts for me.

So I found a different company that would do it, no questions asked.

The original image:

After some Photoshop work:

I also did something similar with a photo of me racing at Portland in my 240Z.

Not a single complaint from the same t-short company that refused to print up the Paul Newman picture, and I didn't take the photo, and only own the color print I bought from the original photographer, Mike Cole in Portland.

The original print:

After some Photoshop work:

10-24-2019, 03:32 AM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You know, when the anime series I watch on a streaming service in Japanese with English subtitles doesn’t market merchandise, I don’t mind. I get that it was designed for someone who is not me, and I count myself fortunate to have experienced it.

But when a company with an online store presence in my country puts up celebratory posts, hosts a contest, and such, I expect a little more.

I’m not asking for celebrity presentations or cakes shaped like lenses. I’m asking that they sell me a shirt or a mug...

-Eric
It is infuriating when the only options to watch/read some select anime or manga are
-Illegal scanlation/fansub (illegal, duh)
-Use of a VPN to circumvent the region lock of legal platforms in, typically, the US (illegal again).
-Wait between lots of months or years hoping someone licenses in Europe in a language I can read.

This is the same, one cannot even pay even if they want!

---------- Post added 10-24-19 at 03:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
This ^^^

... and I can tell you from personal experience in the tech industry, that seeing people get ripped off buying phony Adobe and Microsoft Keys off Amazon and Ebay, totally ripped off when the key eventually fails (they usually work for a while until the live licensing server locks those phony keys) that are perpetuated by other countries that have ZERO respect for copy-write and outright fraud, should be able to take a non-profit infringement that only will advertise their brand more, with a grain of salt. I'd wager most EVERY cheapo electronic piece you buy in a 5 & 10 store that has a UL Listing Cert on cables is a phony. Phooey!
Eric
At least with regards to software, piracy and copyright issues mostly come from the fact that copyright laws and their enforcement by companies make zero to no sense in many cases.

Valve, with Steam, more or less single-handedly eradicated piracy in PC gaming. As per Gabe Newell: "Software piracy is not a pricing issue, it's a service issue".
10-24-2019, 04:14 AM   #109
Pentaxian

First report on a copy of the O-HC171 hot shoe cover arrived in France and... this €49 'made in China' thingy has a cosmetic flaw. The top part is not parallel to the bottom part.

Source: Pentax - 100 Years of History

10-24-2019, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
First report on a copy of the O-HC171 hot shoe cover arrived in France and... this €49 'made in China' thingy has a cosmetic flaw. The top part is not parallel to the bottom part.
It's a feature, to remind us how Pentax is a bit quirky
10-24-2019, 06:40 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Mine is Okay though not perfect

---------- Post added 24-10-19 at 06:46 ----------

I could check it before ordering it :

Last edited by Zygonyx; 10-24-2019 at 06:48 AM.
10-24-2019, 06:58 AM - 4 Likes   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
"PENTAX. Okay, though not perfect." - could be a new marketing slogan

10-24-2019, 07:26 AM   #113
Pentaxian

Reminds me of the slightly slanted sensor in some Pentax K10D cameras.
10-24-2019, 07:28 AM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

Source: Pentax - 100 Years of History
Now that's disappointing to say the least! If I were the owner I would contact Ricoh ASAP to see if it could be replaced before the covers are sold out. Ricoh might even not even want the defective one back.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote

---------- Post added 24-10-19 at 06:46 ----------

I could check it before ordering it :
Ok, that answers my question if they are all like that.
10-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
This ^^^

Eric
I don't know why they don't offer these things (apart from the hotshoe cover) outside of Japan. However, what some might not know, is that pentax t-shirts and mugs unrelated to the 100th anniversary have already been sale in the ricoh imaging square in shinjuku for a while. They have the production and distribution of that stuff set up already for Japan, where people seem to be more likely to buy in to it. They might have decided interest outside of Japan is likely too thinly spread out.

On the other hand, maybe there will be lots of merch available closer to / at the actual anniversary date.
10-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand why they don’t offer all of their merchandise everywhere, and that’s sensible.

But I do think a few items at the local online stores in various countries would be easy. And coordinating a few extra things with the anniversary is an easy and inexpensive way to build excitement about the brand.

Caps, keychains, mugs, etc. can be sourced locally, don’t have ‘sizes’, and are inexpensive to stock and ship.

-Eric
10-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #117
Pentaxian

-Eric
This is 'not responsive'.
I said that Pentax is Japanese-facing and your complaint is that you want them to face you.

BTW - I cannot get over people who are demanding that they be allowed to spend several times what something is worth.

Last edited by reh321; 10-24-2019 at 10:44 AM. Reason: BTW
10-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is 'not responsive'.
I said that Pentax is Japanese-facing and your complaint is that you want them to face you.

BTW - I cannot get over people who are demanding that they be allowed to spend several times what something is worth.
The fact that Ricoh sells nearly the full line of Pentax gear in the US and elsewhere suggests that they wish to face more than just Japan. I understand they have a home market they prioritize, but that does not preclude some small marketing activity elsewhere. I am not suggesting a full line of Pentax dinnerware at every Walmart...

It’s interesting you bring up worth. When I visited Tokyo a few years ago, I saw caramel corn in a grocery store. I would have valued it at $2-3, based on where I was. It was for sale for closer to $8. Worth/value include a lot of things, and those things differ enormously, depending on who you ask.

-Eric
10-25-2019, 06:11 AM   #119

So how many tshirts and mugs do I need to buy and sell to cover the expense of going to Japan, staying for a day, and send out with shipping?
10-25-2019, 06:25 AM   #120
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ghosteclipse Quote
So how many tshirts and mugs do I need to buy and sell to cover the expense of going to Japan, staying for a day, and send out with shipping?
I don't know how much is the cost of your tickets, hotel, taxi and food. I guess it will also include insurance and other stuff. Project the percentage of sales.between the mugs and the shirt. Then allocate between them. After allocation, divide it.with the cost.of.the shirt inclusive of taxes. That would roughly be the number of mugs and shirts you need to sell.