Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 97 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2019, 06:08 AM   #151
Veteran Member

If Ricoh stays clinging to K-mount, they will not be successful in the long run. It was a very good mount for the SLR era, but now in the era of electronics and AI it is inappropriate.

12-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
If Ricoh stays clinging to K-mount, they will not be successful in the long run. It was a very good mount for the SLR era, but now in the era of electronics and AI it is inappropriate.
The KAF4 mount is totally electronic; we know nothing about how AI fits into this, but Ricoh does have at least two KAF4 mount lenses right now, and absolutely no reason to believe that they would gain by switching to any other mount - which they have absolutely no lenses of right now.
12-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #153

The mount success problem is not so much the mount's technicalities, but the lack of customers' interest for K cameras altogether, or for buying additional lenses if they already have a K camera. The problem is not with the mount itself, but the problem is rather more behind the mount.
So yes, enhancing any technical detail of the K mount, or even introducing a new mount, wouldn't solve any problem. It would only create new problems.

Also, introducing a brand new "me too" mirrorless mount & system wouldn't work out for Pentax. See how even Nikon seems to struggle preventing their Z from becoming a market failure, despite good bugdets for development, marketing, and lots of sales discounts. Then, for Pentax where everything would be even much more difficult (fractional budget, fractional user base, fractional mirrorless interest among the remaining Pentax DSLR users), mirrorless would have to be a downright business desaster from the very beginning.

Last edited by Frater; 12-21-2019 at 11:15 AM.
12-21-2019, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frater Quote
The mount success problem is not so much the mount's technicalities, but the lack of customers' interest for K cameras altogether, or for buying additional lenses if they already have a K camera. The problem is not with the mount itself, but the problem is rather more behind the mount.
So yes, enhancing any technical detail of the K mount, or even introducing a new mount, wouldn't solve any problem. It would only create new problems.

Also, introducing a brand new "me too" mirrorless mount & system wouldn't work out for Pentax. See how even Nikon seems to struggle preventing their Z from becoming a market failure, despite good bugdets for development, marketing, and lots of sales discounts. Then, for Pentax where everything would be even much more difficult (fractional budget, fractional user base, fractional mirrorless interest among the remaining Pentax DSLR users), mirrorless would have to be a downright business desaster from the very beginning.
This^^^

We're too often falling into the trap of looking only at the market leader, or some other perceived success; and ignore that even companies with larger resources, moving much faster than Pentax have their share of trouble (say, Olympus - continuing to lose money). We somehow tend to believe Pentax can replicate the market leader's success, if only they do this and that.
Yet competing on the mirrorless market is not different than competing on the DSLR one, except the competition is much more intense, and they have no user base to support them...

11-29-2020, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I noticed some Lensbaby lenses on the B&H site in K-mount, including the new 28/2.5 Velvet. The Lensbaby site shows a full range of lenses for K-mount. That 28/2.5 Velvet is very tempting.
12-02-2020, 12:10 PM - 2 Likes   #156

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
I just stumbled across this thread, and I know it's been a while.

But I'm curious what the physical/electrical coupling between camera and lens has to do with AI? I work with AI in financial systems and can't think of how any physical aspect of the data collection would affect the computer's ability to process data.
12-07-2020, 07:29 AM   #157

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
I'm curious what the physical/electrical coupling between camera and lens has to do with AI?
You already know the answer to that...

12-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #158

QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
what the physical/electrical coupling between camera and lens has to do with AI?
'edri' was using the old "K mount" just as an interchangeable synonym for the old SLR era. Whereas AI would demand mirrorless, i.e. the full fine details from a main sensor read-out while using an EVF for agile shooting situations. That's all I think

"Liveview" on the back screen doesn't count, that's only for stills work (tripod work) rather than for agile situations. For stills, nobody needs AI. And only idiots would use DSLRs' Liveview in a smartphone fashion (held far away from the body) for agile situations. Often, too-bright ambient light prohibits the use of Liveview anyway. And depending on age, people would require to wear varifocal glasses, or change glasses all the time, to switch between far subject distance and close back screen distance.

Last edited by Frater; 12-07-2020 at 11:34 AM.
12-07-2020, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I now have the Velvet 28/2.5 in my hands. My, it's a fat one: about 75mm diameter, weight around 450g. Anyway, point is, Lensbaby changed their minds and are now offering K-mount again. Perhaps a moderator should update the thread title
12-08-2020, 01:33 AM   #160

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I now have the Velvet 28/2.5 in my hands.
Silver or black? Are you happy with it at a first glance?
12-08-2020, 03:28 AM   #161
Pentaxian

I now have the Velvet 28/2.5 in my hands. My, it's a fat one: about 75mm diameter, weight around 450g. Anyway, point is, Lensbaby changed their minds and are now offering K-mount again. Perhaps a moderator should update the thread title
That request seems very reasonable to me. Maybe make it clear that it was changed so the OP doesn't look like passing on false information.
12-08-2020, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mirceattl Quote
Silver or black? Are you happy with it at a first glance?
Black finish. Happy with the build quality and a quick look through the viewfinder, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.
12-08-2020, 06:46 AM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
That request seems very reasonable to me. Maybe make it clear that it was changed so the OP doesn't look like passing on false information.
A positive for Pentax that Lens Baby is again making lenses with K-mounts. I've often thought of getting one, but then thought would I really use it much, if at all. I understand having one for architectural photography but not for everyday photography. Do those who own one really use it often?
12-08-2020, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
A positive for Pentax that Lens Baby is again making lenses with K-mounts. I've often thought of getting one, but then thought would I really use it much, if at all. I understand having one for architectural photography but not for everyday photography. Do those who own one really use it often?
I'm not sure I understand using one for architectural photography . Yes, some Lensbaby lenses have tilt, but are there any that don't also have de-focus, soft focus, or other optical effects?

I bought the Sol 45 and then the Velvet 56 last year. While I can't say I use them often, I do use them and am confident the Velvet 28 will frequently be mounted on my infrared-converted K-5.

12-08-2020, 07:22 AM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure I understand using one for architectural photography . Yes, some Lensbaby lenses have tilt, but are there any that don't also have de-focus, soft focus, or other optical effects?

I bought the Sol 45 and then the Velvet 56 last year. While I can't say I use them often, I do use them and am confident the Velvet 28 will frequently be mounted on my infrared-converted K-5.

My misunderstanding, I had not looked into them but was only familiar with the tilt shift aspects. Was not aware of the other possibilities. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Also, nice photos.