Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member
mithrandir's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,890
New Samsung DSLR and by Extension Pentax?

Interesting tidbit from Samsung Executive:

Samsung confirms plans for new DSLR news - What Digital Camera - digital camera reviews, latest camera news, camera buying advice, photography techniques, photographic gallery, photography forums

10-12-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Barbados
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 270
They even mentioned Pentax in the article. This is great.

I am happy with my K10D for now but if they release something really good next year I think I know what I want next christmas.
10-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Wales, UK
Posts: 645
Good news that developments continue,

no doubt Live View will feature on the new model & have advanced a little, I'm more interested in it though for the fact it should bring down GX20/K20D prices - the body I'm more likely to buy

simon

Last edited by simonkit; 10-12-2008 at 07:08 AM.
10-12-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 418
"it would be smaller in size than its predecessors"

anyone worried hes just talking about the GX-2000? Or are samsung going to skip that one?

10-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
Thanks for the link

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
"it would be smaller in size than its predecessors"

anyone worried hes just talking about the GX-2000? Or are samsung going to skip that one?
I'm not worried

K30 will come summer 2009, BTW
10-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,112
It's simply. Pentax will offer K30D close to summer 2009, Samsung GX30 a bit later.
10-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 418
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I'm not worried

oh yeah, i just realised samsung never made the GX-200 or GX-100...

is that just because they didnt have anything to do with the sensors?
10-12-2008, 09:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 841
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
oh yeah, i just realised samsung never made the GX-200 or GX-100...

is that just because they didnt have anything to do with the sensors?
No, sensors is not related.
When Pentax had the K100D and K100D Super, Samsung were still selling the Samsung GX-S (Pentax *ist DS2) and GX-1L (Pentax *ist DL2), those and the GX-10 had sensors from Sony.

It is time for Samsung to have their own Samsung-designed DSLR - same or similar internal components as Pentax (sensor, image processor, AF and metering systems) but their own design and set of features. They are busy working on this.

10-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
No, sensors is not related.
When Pentax had the K100D and K100D Super, Samsung were still selling the Samsung GX-S (Pentax *ist DS2) and GX-1L (Pentax *ist DL2), those and the GX-10 had sensors from Sony.

It is time for Samsung to have their own Samsung-designed DSLR - same or similar internal components as Pentax (sensor, image processor, AF and metering systems) but their own design and set of features. They are busy working on this.
More choice is good for us. And Pentax stands to benefit from the sale of both Samsung and Pentax bodies, as long as buyers also buy Pentax glass. It's all good.

Wish they deviate a bit from the rebadges, though. More differing choices (especially not just the JPEG processing algorithms) would be great.
10-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member
philmorley's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: in a house in Armidale, Australia
Posts: 472
definately seems like the idea of pentax or samsung ff is dead.
10-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member
F-Stop's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 303
"News of a forthcoming DSLR comes in the wake of the announcement that Samsung is working on a new 'Hybrid' camera system to rival Micro Four-Thirds, which will feature interchangeable lenses and an APS-C sensor, but an Electronic Viewfinder instead of a reflex mirror and prism (thus enabling a much smaller body)...He said they would observe consumers' response to these two products with interest."

I wouldn't be buying it. I've used a SLR wannabe Fuji Finepix and hate everything about it Especially the digital viewfinder! I hope they don't 'observe' point-and-shoot consumers for input.
10-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
"it would be smaller in size than its predecessors"

anyone worried hes just talking about the GX-2000? Or are samsung going to skip that one?
I hope they are going to skip that. I would like to see a DSLR along the lines of the old Pentax K1000. Olympus is currently the manufacturer currently making an SLR without a massive grip. So by "smaller in size" I hope he means something similar to the Oly e420.

Of course if this mock up of Samungs m4/3's competitor is even remotely close I couldn't care less what they do with their SLR's because I will be all over this:

Samsung’s new Micro Four Thirds competitor? at Imaging Insider

As much as I want the Panasonic G1 I don't see any way I can buy it now that their is a possibility of something like that coming from Samsung next year. I just hope they get Pentax to make lenses for them.
10-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 736
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I hope they are going to skip that. I would like to see a DSLR along the lines of the old Pentax K1000. Olympus is currently the manufacturer currently making an SLR without a massive grip. So by "smaller in size" I hope he means something similar to the Oly e420.

Of course if this mock up of Samungs m4/3's competitor is even remotely close I couldn't care less what they do with their SLR's because I will be all over this:

Samsung’s new Micro Four Thirds competitor? at Imaging Insider

As much as I want the Panasonic G1 I don't see any way I can buy it now that their is a possibility of something like that coming from Samsung next year. I just hope they get Pentax to make lenses for them.
Cool man, Thats my article... Sweet. I am still researching it and will let you all know more when I do (more like when I can... NDA's suck sometimes, but I do not have anything new yet.)
However on the general samsung front they are oficially behind what they had hoped for at PMA (they wanted to be #3 by 2010ish but this year they have run into some problems in development (read: pentax cant produce enough fast enough and samsung cant find a builder of bodies outside pentax/or pentax wont let them licence the tech to a 3rd party builder)
10-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
Damn Brit
Guest




Purely from a selfish standpoint, it would be nice for Pentax to bring out a 110 equivalent . Then I could use the three lenses that came with the Auto 110 Super I picked up yesterday.
10-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Cool man, Thats my article... Sweet. I am still researching it and will let you all know more when I do (more like when I can... NDA's suck sometimes, but I do not have anything new yet.)
However on the general samsung front they are oficially behind what they had hoped for at PMA (they wanted to be #3 by 2010ish but this year they have run into some problems in development (read: pentax cant produce enough fast enough and samsung cant find a builder of bodies outside pentax/or pentax wont let them licence the tech to a 3rd party builder)
Nice; keep up the good work. I can't wait for the flood of EVIL cameras next year. I guess it figures, I used a Canon Powershot G2 from 2001 to 2007 while I waited on EVIL's to come, then finally gave up and bought a K100D (and then a K10D). Looks like I gave up a year early. I just hope Pentax will go in with Samsung on their EVIL system.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, pentax news, pentax rumors, photography, samsung
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does the Pentax Remote Control F Work with Samsung GX-20 DSLR? LeDave Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 1 09-07-2009 01:47 AM
Samsung and pentax in talks for new DSLR Mike.P Pentax News and Rumors 52 03-19-2009 08:16 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:45 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top