Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I got it Ron. Did you get mine?

Now I got it.

09-07-2019, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

I think there should be a lot of publicity for this 100th year. A big bang is needed. Who knows what Ricoh will do. Maybe something or maybe nothing. But I hope there'll be something. Now I seem to be talking in riddles.
09-07-2019, 08:51 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I think there should be a lot of publicity for this 100th year. A big bang is needed. Who knows what Ricoh will do. Maybe something or maybe nothing. But I hope there'll be something. Now I seem to be talking in riddles.
Meanwhile, my Q-7, K-30, and KP are still taking pictures.
09-07-2019, 10:26 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Meanwhile, my Q-7, K-30, and KP are still taking pictures.
Funny that. My K-1 and KP work just fine too, and with all my lenses too (going back to the early 50’s lenses).

If Pentax disappears tomorrow the only effect on me will be loss of theoretical resale value of my lens collection, which is academic since I’m really not selling. OTOH I imagine the DFA* lenses I don’t have will be available for a song.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-07-2019 at 11:35 AM.
09-07-2019, 10:25 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Funny that. My K-1 and KP work just fine too, and with all my lenses too (going back to the early 50’s lenses).

If Pentax disappears tomorrow the only effect on me will be loss of theoretical resale value of my lens collection, which is academic since I’m really not selling. OTOH I imagine the DFA* lenses I don’t have will be available for a song.
Our gears will continue to function even if Pentax shuts down. What I would like to have is continuity. It's nice to know that the company still produces gears when you need it in the future. Yesterday I was at a fun run event. I was there as a participant and didn't have a camera. People who were documenting the event were mostly using entry level Canon and Nikon. Well basically both entry level systems are a much cheaper than Pentax. A parent of a child aspiring to be a photographer can easily purchase gears on either system. That's why I think Pentax needs some marketing efforts. Its presence cannot be felt. We need new followers/ users.
09-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing is certain. If they fold tomorrow, for me it is what it is. Pentax will become a novelty and when that wears out it will be like Minolta, the thing of the past. Once the warranty runs out you are on your own. Bodies will one day become outdated, and you will have to move onto another brand just because the discrepancy in specs will become too much for you to resist. LBA will then set in, and you will have to re purchase all focal lengths that your Pentax lenses gloriously used to cover. Then one day you discover that you cannot tell the difference in pics between the set up you have just invested and the iPhone cams. I think that the beginning of the end is well beyond us. It’s a shame but not really because a brand like Pentax with such fantastic innovative features will be picked up by another brand. I can see Fuji gobbling it up. Few years ago I made a conscious decision to slowly migrate to Leica while learning how to get the most out of my 645D. Now with My new GR3 i think I got what I need for my life time.
09-08-2019, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Now with My new GR3 i think I got what I need for my life time.
When I purchased my KP, I assumed it was for the rest of my lifetime {I am 71 right now - but each of my parents lived to be 93 }

From my perspective, a camera like the GRRRR will face much more competition from iPhones than a DSLR will.

09-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I purchased my KP, I assumed it was for the rest of my lifetime {I am 71 right now - but each of my parents lived to be 93 }

From my perspective, a camera like the GRRRR will face much more competition from iPhones than a DSLR will.
Oh you will need many more bodies in your life time.

The best camera is the one you have on you, and since I got my new GR3 I got that in my right pocket and iPhone in the left. My Leica doesn’t fit in my pocket!
09-09-2019, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Oh you will need many more bodies in your life time.

The best camera is the one you have on you, and since I got my new GR3 I got that in my right pocket and iPhone in the left. My Leica doesn’t fit in my pocket!
All four camera bodies in my signature photo work.

I used the Super Program {far left} for twelve years before I "retired" it, but it still works.
If a body stops working, it heads for the trash.
My last two Canon Rebel bodies are in the county landfill.

If Pentax produces more cameras as great as the KP {far right} I might purchase one, but I'm not worried.
09-09-2019, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Leica doesn’t fit in my pocket!
I have a CL (older version) in my pocket
09-09-2019, 05:29 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Yeah, I guess that could be true for a lot of folks...sure my K-1 is still doing its thing just fine, and when the mood calls me, even my *ist Ds still fires up and takes some glorious 6mp shots with my m42 Taks. My old k10 and k20 are still running in the hands of friends who still enjoy them. Actually sold my k7 and k5 so don't know their status.

Need Vs/ want will always plague us in a market driven capitalist socienty, heh.

I am still young enough that I'd need Pentax to stick around a while to keep me in running equipment. It wouldn't be the end of the world for me if they collapsed, but it would be a real shame and I'd miss the things that make Pentax special.

I also think all the talk of doom and gloom is highly premature.
Eric