Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Theta Z1 in stock

The Theta Z1 is now in stock at B&H and perhaps others.
Ricoh Z1 360 Camera - THETA Z1 910778 | B&H Photo Video

09-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Woot! About time!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Woot! About time!
I don't understand....I got mine back in May....
09-06-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Between then (may) and now, not many people got a chance to get a new Z1. The Ricoh Tallship delivering this to the West hasn't arrived in Europe yet. So not in stock overhere.

09-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I believe there were some production issues which delayed general availability. I wish I had gotten mine that early...
09-10-2019, 12:23 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I believe there were some production issues which delayed general availability.
To me it looks like there are still production issues since the Z1 is still not available in large quantaties. No idea on what it is hanging, but it only comes out of the factory in small numbers.
09-10-2019, 01:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The Ricoh Tallship delivering this to the West hasn't arrived in Europe yet. So not in stock over here.
It must have sailed via Australia first. I got mine a couple of months ago

09-10-2019, 02:38 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

To me it looks like there are still production issues since the Z1 is still not available in large quantaties. No idea on what it is hanging, but it only comes out of the factory in small numbers.
There are seven in stock on Amazon UK (with more on the way), and it's readily available at the larger dedicated photography dealers here too.

I wouldn't be so quick in jumping to negative and unsubstantiated conclusions over production issues, Ron. For once, how about giving Ricoh the benefit of the doubt? Perhaps there's just a supply and distribution delay localised to your region. Or maybe the Netherlands was simply further down the list of Ricoh's delivery priorities.

When it reaches the Dutch suppliers, will you be placing your order?
09-10-2019, 03:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It's a dealer issue. Yes, the Theta Z1 is scarce, but one or two samples reached Romania months ago.
If our Pentax/Ricoh dealer managed to get some...
09-10-2019, 05:30 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I wouldn't be so quick in jumping to negative and unsubstantiated conclusions over production issues, Ron. For once, how about giving Ricoh the benefit of the doubt? Perhaps there's just a supply and distribution delay localised to your region. Or maybe the Netherlands was simply further down the list of Ricoh's delivery priorities.
There can be a lot of different reasons why the spread out to the market for the Z1 is the way it is. I don't know. For a product announced in februari that never reached full supply to the market it is a bit strange. Maybe production is a bit more difficult then expected or maybe one of the supplyers of parts isn't running as fast as the rest. There is production and there is delivery to the market and there are people wanting to buy it. So it is just odd that some people have to wait so long to get a hold on their desired Z1.

There is no negativity in this. This is just an analysis of what is happening. A forum like this should be the place where one can find answers to these questions.

---------- Post added 10-09-19 at 14:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The ships captain then certainly isn't a Dutch man like Abel Tasman
09-10-2019, 06:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I've heard that Jessica Watson will do another circumnavigation, dropping off Z1s along the way.

- Craig

PS. I was at Watsons Bay and in Sydney harbour, watching her return in May 2010. Terrific.

Last edited by c.a.m; 09-10-2019 at 06:35 AM.
09-10-2019, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #12
JPT
Pentaxian

This Imaging Resource interview is interesting about the market for Theta. It seems like a large part of the market is to business. The part about Theta is about 2/3 of the page down.

Medium-format DSLRs are coming, and mirrorless converts will return! Ricoh Q&A from CP+

My theory is that the on/off availability of Theta Z1 is because they are fulfilling some big orders from corporate customers. Imagine if Google decide they need a few thousand units for mapping. They are going to get priority, which might disrupt supply to camera stores.

For what it's worth, it has been in the stores here in Japan since the end of May. I don't know whether there would be a waiting list if you tried to bu it though. The display units are very cool. It's magnesium build feels strong and dense like a K-1, but obviously it's not rugged with those lenses sticking out. It just feels solid and quality.
09-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #13
Banned

The next shipment (according to Ricoh-Imaging USA):

QuoteQuote:
**PLEASE NOTE – ANY ORDERS PLACED ON OR AFTER 9/10/19 WON’T SHIP UNTIL MID OCTOBER!

---------- Post added 10-09-19 at 16:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
My theory is that the on/off availability of Theta Z1 is because they are fulfilling some big orders from corporate customers. Imagine if Google decide they need a few thousand units for mapping. They are going to get priority, which might disrupt supply to camera stores.
That would be cool, except that when I Google on it, I don't find anything on it.
09-10-2019, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The next shipment (according to Ricoh-Imaging USA):

---------- Post added 10-09-19 at 16:55 ----------

That would be cool, except that when I Google on it, I don't find anything on it.
Because they would have made those contracts public ?
Lol, not on Google = not a reality?

Rotflmao. Good one.
09-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Because they would have made those contracts public ?
Lol, not on Google = not a reality?

Rotflmao. Good one.
If there is any importance to it, we do see a lot of announcements of corporations working together online and in press releases. That is a good way of free publicity. Maybe you don't read news sites that cover business news.

Don't fall on the floor for laughing to hard.