Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2019, 07:02 AM   #256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which mount is the bulk of Sigmas new releases this days? Even Ricoh itself is slow in releasing new lenses for Pentax Digital Full Frame so perhaps Sigma is taking this as queue. They should have taken the opportunity though to even take that market share but based on the interview answers Sigma is just configuring new lenses from other mounts to K mount and if those new lenses do not align with Pentax Digital Full frame users needs it may not be viable.

10-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ghosteclipse Quote
Which mount is the bulk of Sigmas new releases this days? Even Ricoh itself is slow in releasing new lenses for Pentax Digital Full Frame so perhaps Sigma is taking this as queue. They should have taken the opportunity though to even take that market share but based on the interview answers Sigma is just configuring new lenses from other mounts to K mount and if those new lenses do not align with Pentax Digital Full frame users needs it may not be viable.
Sigma lenses released since the 1st of January, 2019:
  • Leica L mount: 9 lenses, of which 6 SLR designs
  • Sony E mount: 5 lenses, of which 2 SLR designs
  • Nikon F mount: 2 SLR lenses
  • Canon EF mount: 1 SLR lens
  • Canon EF-M mount: 1 lens
  • Sigma SA mount: 1 SLR lens
10-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #258
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No new Z mount, R mount, m4/3 so far this year - will the L mount maintain their profitability?
10-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just guessing it seems Sigma is mainly focused on the newer mounts where probably there are currently less available lenses and have more opportunity for growth - Leica and Sony.

10-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #260
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
No new Z mount, R mount, m4/3 so far this year - will the L mount maintain their profitability?
There was one lens with µ4/3 mount announced and released last year and another one in 2017. These lenses being designed for an APS-C image circle with focal lengths suited to the APS-C format one can imagine that their µ4/3 versions haven't been that successful.

The Leica L mount is the new mount chosen by Sigma to replace the Sigma SA mount for their own cameras. They must therefore feel compelled to propose their whole portfolio in L mount like they did with SA mount in the past, with the added bonus that these L mount lenses will address a larger clientele than their former SA mount lenses did: it includes owners of Leica and Panasonic cameras in addition to owners of Sigma cameras.

As for the Canon RF and Nikon Z mounts, the number of cameras sold by Canon and Nikon is still low. In addition, Sigma would have to reverse engineer the corresponding electronic protocols before being able to propose lenses. A barrier to entry for a limited sales volume for the time being, that's two good reasons to wait and see.

Remember that, in spite of Sony communicating the E mount protocols to third parties, it took Sigma 2 years and 8 months after the NEX-5 launch to announce their first E mount lenses and 4 years and 4 months after the Alpha 7 launch to announce their first 24x36 E mount lens. The first Canon R and Nikon Z cameras are only one-year old.
10-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ghosteclipse Quote
Just guessing it seems Sigma is mainly focused on the newer mounts where probably there are currently less available lenses and have more opportunity for growth - Leica and Sony.
Sigma are following the market trends. The four new lenses launched in 2019 to date (by 'new' I mean lenses with an original optical formula, not the adaptation of existing lenses to additional mounts) include one SLR design and three mirrorless designs.

The new SLR designs are manufactured in five different mounts: Canon EF, Nikon F, Sigma SA, Leica L and Sony E. The new mirrorless designs are manufactured in two different mounts: Leica L and Sony E. In addition Sigma have reissued existing SLR designs in Sony E mount, are reissuing existing SLR designs in Leica L mount and have begun to reissue existing APS-C mirrorless designs in Canon EF-M mount. Hence the apparent focus on Leica L and Sony E mounts.
10-19-2019, 11:07 PM   #262
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe they would like to focus on what will give them the biggest return. I'm sure they did their study.

10-20-2019, 03:02 AM   #263
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I believe they would like to focus on what will give them the biggest return. I'm sure they did their study.
That plus they support their own mounts: Sigma SA in the past and now Leica L.
10-20-2019, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #264
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Maybe.

I honestly don't how much of a "return" Sigma has gotten from making their own cameras and having their own mount. Maybe they've made some, but overall it seems as though they want to do it even if they don't make money at it.

What we can say for sure is that many of the SA mount lenses sold tiny numbers even though Sigma made sure every last one was available in that mount.
10-20-2019, 03:59 AM   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
(...)

I honestly don't how much of a "return" Sigma has gotten from making their own cameras and having their own mount. Maybe they've made some, but overall it seems as though they want to do it even if they don't make money at it.

What we can say for sure is that many of the SA mount lenses sold tiny numbers even though Sigma made sure every last one was available in that mount.
Of course. When it comes to their cameras and their own mount(s), it's a matter of pride, not ROI. In French we call such businesses une danseuse (a [female] dancer).
10-20-2019, 04:00 AM   #266
Veteran Member

I also regret their decision. Less choice is always bad. And I bought a sigma 10-20 3.5 for 400 euros, new, less than a year ago.
10-20-2019, 04:00 AM   #267
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
(...)

Of course. When it comes to their cameras and their own mount(s), it's a matter of pride, not ROI.

In French we call such business une danseuse (a [female] dancer): something that the boss/owner likes to show off and around and talk about, quite expensive, not very useful to the group.
10-21-2019, 04:07 AM   #268
Pentaxian

Meanwhile Sigma is still listing Pentax K-mount models
https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/#/all/pentax/
10-21-2019, 06:12 AM   #269
Pentaxian

I would think that Tamron's decision would be similar to Sigma. Pentax doesn't have the numbers for them to make profits. Honestly, I would prefer a Pentax lens than a 3rd party lens. But then again 3rd party provides a lot of options to everyone especially to beginners.
10-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #270
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was in Yosemite National Park this weekend. In addition to soaking all the natural beauty of the wilderness, I also tried to casually track the different cameras people carried. Yes, many people had Canon and Nikon bodies with huge lenses beyond the kit lens. A few people had kit lenses on those bodies, One person had an Oly M5 or M10 - couldn’t tell - and one person had a Leica. What surprised me is how many Sony bodies were at the park! The A6xxx with the kit lens has replaced the standard issue Canon and Nikon setups with kit lenses. A lot of people had A7 bodies with massive Sony branded lenses.

Of course, these aren’t “local folks”. These are tourists speaking French, German, Russian, and English with non-US accents. You don’t come to Yosemite with merely a phone. No, you bring something special. In this case that something special was a Sony E mount body.

It’s no wonder to me Sigma is focusing on E mount.