Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 319 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2019, 11:12 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Sigma stops K-Mount support

To be found on photorumors.com. Reason is the concentration on mirror less mounts.
Less options for Pentax users, but the selection was small anyways.

Not a great loss, but a sign. Pentax can now present their own large aperture 35, tele zooms, ...

09-06-2019, 11:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there an official statement or is this just a rumor? I think it's been clear for a long time that new lenses would not be released in the K mount...or at least not any specialty lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-07-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Sigma to stop making lenses for Pentax K-mount - Pentax Rumors

If true then in the coming months only leftover stock in shops.
09-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Sigma to stop making lenses for Pentax K-mount - Pentax Rumors

If true then in the coming months only leftover stock in shops.
Strange that the post is only on Sigma's Czech Facebook account... You'd think an announcement would be handled centrally

Assuming it's true, the interesting (though hardly surprising) part about the translated Facebook post is that [Sigma] "plans to focus more on developing and supporting mirror-free systems in which they see the future."

09-07-2019, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Sigma stopped the 500mm 4.5 for PK already last year.
Sigma 500mm 4.5 for KAF - availability - PentaxForums.com
Is the Sigma 500mm f4.5 Pentax fit going out of production? - PentaxForums.com
09-07-2019, 01:13 AM - 5 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

When I translate the text with Google it says Sigma is likely to do it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Google Translate:
Today, Sigma is likely to grieve the thinning PENTAX user community by deciding to completely stop producing PENTAX lens mounts this fall. Instead, it plans to focus more on developing and supporting mirror-free systems in which they see the future.
Of course Sigma can still produce older model k-mount while developing for mirrorless as long as they are producing the lenses for Canonikon as well. This sounds like conjecture from the Czech importer (Apparently Hama.cz). The source is known to be very eager to predict the demise of Pentax and cannot be trusted.

Last edited by D1N0; 09-07-2019 at 01:37 AM.
09-07-2019, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is there an official statement or is this just a rumor? I think it's been clear for a long time that new lenses would not be released in the K mount...or at least not any specialty lenses.
This is the official message from Sigma last year on 10/18:

“Thank you for contacting Sigma USA. There has been no news of current lenses being discontinued in Pentax mount (unless the lens it’s self is discontinued), but we have not offered any new selections in Pentax mount in a few years, and I doubt we will see any additional models.”

I have emailed them to confirm if this true.

09-07-2019, 08:05 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At last year's PhotoPlus in NYC, one of the Sigma reps told me that there would be no new lenses with Pentax mounts coming from them. I reported on this in my post on PhotoPlus 2018:

"As a quick aside. I also spoke to the Sigma rep and asked him about the possibility of more lenses supporting Pentax and he quickly shot that down due to the tiny market share Pentax holds. He also expressed some disappointment in that, because he said that he started with Pentax (a Spotmatic) and has a collection of old Pentax lenses and bodies. Again, no surprises in that response."

So, while the post on Sigma's Czech site might be new, the story really isn't.
09-07-2019, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
So, while the post on Sigma's Czech site might be new, the story really isn't.
and if the MILC part of the story is true, Pentax users are no worse off than Canon EF-mount and Nikon F-mount users are.

Meanwhile, we are still waiting for the first Pentax camera in almost two years.
09-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #10
Banned

And almost three years since the KP came.
09-07-2019, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

So... are you jumping on board when the new model comes out, Ron? Finally looking to buy back into K-mount?
09-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So... are you jumping on board when the new model comes out, Ron? Finally looking to buy back into K-mount?
Not likely, unless it is follower to the K-01.
09-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why should that even concern you, Ron??
09-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My photography was business related. If I start again, that won't be the case. There is simply no real business opportunity overhere (as far as my interest goes). That changed a lot over the past years. So spending money on a hobby is very different then investing in a business.

---------- Post added 07-09-19 at 19:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Why should that even concern you, Ron??
Do you feel that you should have a say in wich subject is of a concern to whoom? Or do we live in a free world and can we loose sleep on all subjects we want?

To answer.....I do remember dates and numbers very good, so it is not to difficult for me to put a timeframe on things.
09-07-2019, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My photography was business related. If I start again, that won't be the case. There is simply no real business opportunity overhere (as far as my interest goes). That changed a lot over the past years. So spending money on a hobby is very different then investing in a business.
Understood Given your close interest in the commercial and financial performance of the company and brand, it would be nice to see you using its equipment again...