Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 319 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2019, 10:36 AM - 3 Likes   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Hello Sigma, Good bye Sigma. I've never owned one Sigma lens since I felt that the build quality of Sigma lenses was generally inferior to the one of OEM lenses. A few years back, before the Art lenses, some people damaged their DSLR when using a Sigma lens. I've had two Tamron lenses one I was very happy with (SP 17-50 2.8) and two others: SP 70-200 2.8 that was soft wide open and wouldn't focus in LV, and SP 28-75 2.8 that happened to work fine on apsc but was unsharp on one edge when i used it with the K1. Now having only Pentax glass, the quality is top. Also I've heard, the Sigma 30 1.4 and 18-35 1.8 would hit or miss focus randomly. Good bye Sigma , I will not miss you.
Don't confuse the old Sigma with the new Sigma though. Sigma's 500mm f4.5 was ok. but nothing more. Sigma's 500mm f4S goes neck to neck with Canon's and Nikon's offerings which are 25-35% more expensive. And there are quite a few other new Sigma releases that are highly regarded. Pentaxians would have a lot to cheer about should Sigma decide to produce their best lenses in K-mount.

09-09-2019, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before the release of the K-1 I made a little stockpile of full frame Sigma lenses consisting of the 50-500mm OS, 70-200mm f/2.8 OS, 24-70mm HSM f//2.8, 85mm f/1.4, 12-24mm, 15mm fisheye, 100-300mm f/4 and 180mm f/3.5 macro. I have since replaced the first 3 with Pentax lenses and the 12-24mm will be next to go since I recently purchased a 15-30mm but while we may one day see a decent 100-300mm variant and 85mm f/1.4 from Pentax I doubt we will ever see another long macro lens which is a shame.

I would however give my right arm for a 150-600mm sport, I have one on a D500 but I would much rather have it on my K-1.
09-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just when I was thinking on getting the 30 Art

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A really, really nice lens. I recommend it
Thank you! Would you have any samples? I'll try to get one before it's too late.
09-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have owned the Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6, the 30mm f1.4 (old version), and 50-150 f2.8. None of them was that great and honestly, although the 50-150 has Sigma's silent drive system, the 50-135 SDM I owned in the past locked focus faster than it due to lack of hesitation that 50-150 always seems to have before it locks focus.

09-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Information confirmed:
QuoteOriginally posted by Damien Demolder, Digital Photography Review:
Sigma’s move away from the Pentax K mount has been confirmed by Sigma Imaging UK.
Source : Sigma halts production of Pentax K mount lenses to put its focus on mirrorless | Digital Photography Review
09-09-2019, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

If Sigma officially drop Pentax, and DPReview is happy to post the news on their site to make sure everyone knows, does it means Pentax is doomed, finally the day of the end of Pentax has come. Considering 2019 is the last year of Pentax history, what will happen to Pentax forum after the end of Pentax?
09-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If Sigma officially drop Pentax, and DPReview is happy to post the news on their site to make sure everyone knows, does it means Pentax is doomed, finally the day of the end of Pentax has come. Considering 2019 is the last year of Pentax history, what will happen to Pentax forum after the end of Pentax?
How do you know DPR is "happy" to post this news? Had DPR not posted the news that Sigma dropped K-mount lenses, people would complain that DPR is ignoring Pentax.

09-09-2019, 12:43 PM - 4 Likes   #68
Veteran Member

On the one hand, I feel bad for Ricoh and the Pentax K-mount ecosystem. Less advanced lenses will mean the system as a whole will begin to stagnate. Sigma recently recently a 40mm f/1.4 which is probably one of the sharpest consumer lenses on the planet. It's a huge barrel of glass. The lens is seemingly so awesome that Sigma welded an extension tube on the mount end so it would work natively with Sony's FE mount ... which makes the lenses even bigger. We will probably never see a lens like that in K-mount. If anyone is going to make some super-duper lenses for K-mount it will probably be Ricoh and we know how quickly they churn them out. Not very fast.

On the other hand, I don't feel bad for Ricoh. They made a conscious decision not to enter the mirrorless market at a time when the market was seriously taking off. In fact, they withdrew from it. They started with the Q and let it die. Ok, fine ... it was a tiny format doomed from the start. But, they did have the K-01. It was chunky, clunky, and weird but it was the right camera. They could have gone further in a K-02 of sorts to advance focusing, add a EVF, better ergonomics, etc. Instead of advancing it they let it go. They noted mirrorless was taking off and simply said they will watch market trends. Well, here's your market trend. It's frustrating for me to see that opportunity squandered. Instead of a super powerful, super slick K-1 that would rival a Sony A7R in resolution/noise/dynamic range and rival the Fuji X-T3 in AF and buffer performance we have a studio camera.

Maybe in the end it really doesn't matter. Lenses don't decay or rot like food. A 20 year old FA 31mm today ought to work just as well in 20 years when it turns 40. That lens is pretty darn good. Just know that lens, and whatever Ricoh trickles out, is it.
09-09-2019, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #69
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Just out of curiosity, how many of the participants on this thread have purchased a Sigma product for Pentax, new, in the last five years. Don't be bashful.

Sigma? Sigma? Nobody has bought Sigma?

Steve

(...just two here...no need for more...)
<raises hand>

I picked up the amazing 8-16mm new 5 years ago.
09-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Where on the UK website is that posted?

That would be confirmation.
09-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Just know that lens, and whatever Ricoh trickles out, is it.
Boris, you summed it up perfectly. Your entire post is Pentax reality as it exists now. Well said my friend. It is a shame that Pentax, the original, the innovator will be relegated to this position. So be it.

I am keeping most of my Pentax gear anyway. However, I have adopted Fuji for my video platform and very happy with it. I am pretty fond of the still images I get with it too. I get the work done with a tiny Fuji X-T30 but when I want to wow the clients with the gear, I bring out my K1 and the 70-200! They are almost always impressed with how massive the camera is and how professional it looks!!

Cheers,
Boris (yes that is my name too!)
09-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Sigma recently recently a 40mm f/1.4 which is probably one of the sharpest consumer lenses on the planet. It's a huge barrel of glass.
Is it actually better* than our D FA* 50mm f/1.4? It is more expensive, bigger and heavier, but not something to make me jealous.

* not saying "sharper", as that's not the only criteria. Anyway, the D FA* is very sharp.
09-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Just out of curiosity, how many of the participants on this thread have purchased a Sigma product for Pentax, new, in the last five years. Don't be bashful.

Sigma? Sigma? Nobody has bought Sigma?

Steve

(...just two here...no need for more...)
I bought a 10-20 mm 4-5.6. I would've bought the 18-300 for travel purposes if it were WR rated. The 150-600 would be nice if it were available in the k-mount.
09-09-2019, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

On the other hand, I don't feel bad for Ricoh. They made a conscious decision not to enter the mirrorless market at a time when the market was seriously taking off. In fact, they withdrew from it. They started with the Q and let it die. Ok, fine ... it was a tiny format doomed from the start. But, they did have the K-01. It was chunky, clunky, and weird but it was the right camera. They could have gone further in a K-02 of sorts to advance focusing, add a EVF, better ergonomics, etc. Instead of advancing it they let it go. They noted mirrorless was taking off and simply said they will watch market trends. Well, here's your market trend. It's frustrating for me to see that opportunity squandered. Instead of a super powerful, super slick K-1 that would rival a Sony A7R in resolution/noise/dynamic range and rival the Fuji X-T3 in AF and buffer performance we have a studio camera.
Ricoh is dedicated the K Mount, and a mirrorless with the register distance of the K mount is just kind of silly don't you think? The cameras will barely be smaller than the DSLR equiv.
If you want to make the argument that an EVF is "needed" in the future then hopefully the hybrid VF does make an appearance, allowing the K mount to make sense in a pseudo mirrorless.
09-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I bought a 10-20 mm 4-5.6. I would've bought the 18-300 for travel purposes if it were WR rated. The 150-600 would be nice if it were available in the k-mount.
I would've bought a 150-600 as well, and super up in the air on the 18-35...the reports of the wonky AF didn't impress.

Otherwise I've had my 10-20 f/4.5 for almost 10 years, and don't use it enough anymore to want to replace it with the 3.5. On one hand, Sigma making the news official isn't surprising, as the lack of new or updated lenses has been telling for years, although not a complete cessation like Tamron. To that end, I don't think this affects Ricoh, as they haven't grown the mount enough to keep those 3rd party vendors going anyhow.

But where I did like Tamron and Sigma is that they were simply cheaper or had focal lengths Pentax never carried.