Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 319 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2019, 11:13 AM - 2 Likes   #226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Sigma 150-500 DG OS that I still use. It was what I purchased prior to when the Pentax 150-450 was available. As for lens availability from Pentax, I am very satisfied with the selection, and have both the Pentax 16-85 and the Pentax 70-200 which I am very happy with. I prefer Pentax brand lenses due to their performance, style and build.

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-13-2019 at 03:12 PM.
10-12-2019, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have a Sigma 150-500 DG OS that I still use. It was what I purchased prior to when the Pentax 150-450 was available. As for lens availability from Pentax, I am very satisfied with the selection, and have both the Pentax 16-85 and the Pentax 70-200 which I am very happy with. I prefer Pentax brand lenses due their performance, style and build.
I also bought a Sigma 150-500 DG OS that I still use and It was what I purchased prior to when the Pentax 150-450 was available. It's been a fine lens, but I also prefer Pentax lenses for the same reasons you do.

The Sigma lens was a lot less expensive than the Pentax 150-450. But in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't buy other Sigma lenses given Sigma's decision. Concerned about future support, etc...which may not be a factor...I dunno.

Anyways, I suppose, nowadays you never do know what you may buy, becomes obsolete, dropped, different lens mount ...in the photography, but that's the way the Mercedes...Benz...
10-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #228
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrKodak Quote
Hi, I tried searching for this subject but couldn't find anything.
This subject has actually had a lot of threads.
10-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #229
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
This subject has actually had a lot of threads.
One of them with the same exact name, actually.

10-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #230
Pentaxian

As I read years back that Sigma limited its production for the k-mount, I was expecting it to end soon. When the statement that they'd stop supporting the k-mount I was actually sadden. Well we just have to live with it. As the days pass by I don't care anymore about it. Anyway their lenses aren't WR which is one of.my main criteria. I only have one sigma lens and that's the 10-20. The reason I bought it is the Pentax 12-24 isn't WR too and I would like to buy a WR lens in the future. I hope I'll have the budget for the 11-22 someday. Maybe I can will it in the raffle. That would be great.
10-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #231

Photos: Albums
One big problem with not having SIgma making K mount is getting new users to consider Pentax. When I looked at buying a DSLR I looked at who was making lenses at that time SIgma made almost all their lens is K mount so Pentax was more appealing as I had more choices in equipment. I do have many Sigma lens and enjoy having options beyond Pentax.
10-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #232
Pentaxian

That's true @rr1736. When I went bought into Pentax in 2014, Sigma and Tamron where still producing lenses for Pentax. I saw that I had other options. However now they're gone, it's something that we have to live with. I hope Pentax can come out with more options. Enticing new comers will now be more difficult than before. That's what we see outside of Japan. I can't tell if Pentax needs more sales as we don't know their financial picture. As some of us said here, Pentax is doing well in Japan. Probably they're already okay with Japan sales. Maybe we the international market are just a bonus to their revenues.

10-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Well I guess I better get this lens sooner rather than later if I can afford it...
I wonder if you contacted Sigma before buying a lens in a "foreign" mount, if they could tell you whether they still have parts and are willing to do the mount swap. By the way, it seems there is a sale currently on the lens new from a variety of sources.
10-17-2019, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #234
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buy new Pentax lenses if you want to help them continue to develop new equipment.
10-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Buy new Pentax lenses if you want to help them continue to develop new equipment.
But what if Sigma produces (well, now produced) a lens that Pentax doesn't have and probably will never have (like the 18-35).
10-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #236
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your choice but that does nothing for Ricoh or the future of Pentax.
10-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #237
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
But what if Sigma produces (well, now produced) a lens that Pentax doesn't have and probably will never have (like the 18-35).
Your bigger issue will be in confirming it functions with your 'modern' Pentax bodies. I can foresee (if we aren't there already) a time where the lens needs a firmware update to function on the latest Pentax bodies, and Sigma refuses to perform the updates.
10-18-2019, 12:34 AM   #238

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Your bigger issue will be in confirming it functions with your 'modern' Pentax bodies. I can foresee (if we aren't there already) a time where the lens needs a firmware update to function on the latest Pentax bodies, and Sigma refuses to perform the updates.
Wouldn't that work like with old Pentax-Lenses? Those are still compatible to the current bodies, and I highly doubt that Pentax will remove that compatibility in the future.
10-18-2019, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #239
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abraxas Quote
Wouldn't that work like with old Pentax-Lenses? Those are still compatible to the current bodies, and I highly doubt that Pentax will remove that compatibility in the future.
They will always work in manual mode, especially if they have manual aperture ring on the lens. Just like old Pentax lenses...
10-18-2019, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #240
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
That's the point that seems to be missed. Which does more to enhance Pentax's bottom line? Having a full line up of Sigma lenses available to Pentaxians or having Pentaxians purchase Pentax brand lenses? There is a mythos out there that if Sigma had a full range of lenses available for K mount cameras they would sell heaps more, but I don't really buy that. Maybe it would swing a few sales one way or the other, but I really think people make purchase based on perceived need, price, and maybe lenses they already own. Once they have a camera they purchase lenses that are available.

My guess is that Sigma lenses have never been big sellers. There have definitely been some who shot with their 85mm, 18-35, 35mm art, but it is nowhere near the numbers that you would see, even for a disliked Pentax lens like the DA *16-50.