Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 319 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #646
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
The problem with an AF adapter is that to be completely electronic it would have to be KAF4, and there are not a lot of Pentax Lenses that have that. (...)
Indeed, there are only two KAF4 lenses in Pentax's portfolio.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A KAF3 adapter wouldn't need the screw drive - but even KAF3 lenses are not particularly typical. (...)
No, it wouldn't, but it would still need a motor (an actuator, actually) to move the aperture lever.

12-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #647
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, if I am understanding correctly engineering wise Pentax has several different types of af lenses and it would be difficult to design an af adapter to work with all or even some them -- FA lenses, KAF4, KAF3 all would need a different type of adapter?
12-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #648
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
So, if I am understanding correctly engineering wise Pentax has several different types of af lenses and it would be difficult to design an af adapter to work with all or even some them -- FA lenses, KAF4, KAF3 all would need a different type of adapter?
Correct if you wish to maintain AF and aperture control across all mount variations.
12-08-2019, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #649
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I am aware, my KP can AF with any K-mount lens, so a properly designed adapter should be able to work with all AF lenses, but this would require that the adapter contain both an aperture 'actuator' and a focus motor, which would add complexity and weight to the design. Just as Pentax chose to use 'green button' metering instead of directly handling all K-mount lenses ever built, they might choose to correctly handle only some lenses.

12-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #650
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah … got it. Sure sounds like I can cross this one off my wishlist ….
12-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #651
Pentaxian

Ah … got it. Sure sounds like I can cross this one off my wishlist ….
Not permanently. As Rondec correctly observed, the Nikon F-mount is very similar to K-mount, except, if I understand Nikon users correctly, the F-mount has more special cases. Despite being at a disadvantage, Nikon has developed a F-mount to Z-mount adapter which comes with some MILC kits. Similarly, someone could develop some form of adapter for the K-mount, but they would need some kind of real incentive to do so.
12-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #652
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Nikon F to Z converter does not work with screw drive lenses or control the aperture on non-af lenses, so basically it is for their AF-4 type lenses (af and aperture electronically controlled). To include mechanical actuations for both would involve micro-motors and either an on adapter power source or someway to pass power from the body, along with the in-body coding to recognize what is attached and how to use it.

12-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #653
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
kenko(and perhaps others) make a teleconverter that works with all pentax af/aperture control systems, so it's not that hard:
Kenko 1.5X Pz-AF Teleconverter (Pentax Mount) - PentaxForums.com
12-08-2019, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #654
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The af on that converter is strictly a pass-through from the body, including the screw-drive - the af is not a function of the adapter.
12-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #655
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
The Nikon F to Z converter does not work with screw drive lenses or control the aperture on non-af lenses, so basically it is for their AF-4 type lenses (af and aperture electronically controlled). To include mechanical actuations for both would involve micro-motors and either an on adapter power source or someway to pass power from the body, along with the in-body coding to recognize what is attached and how to use it.
This is a really good point. The biggest issue is the pass through of electrical contacts, I am pretty sure every contact right now is used on the pentax mount for some use. You would not only need data but power to those motors. Not saying it isnt possible, but its got to be really really hard.
12-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #656
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
This is a really good point. The biggest issue is the pass through of electrical contacts, I am pretty sure every contact right now is used on the pentax mount for some use. You would not only need data but power to those motors. Not saying it isnt possible, but its got to be really really hard.
The K-mount standard of today does include electrical contacts. It was added at one point to power zoom-lenses, but it is used today to power lenses such as the DC and PLM lenses, both of which have AF motors in the lens. A KAF3-KAF4 adapter would simply have to pass through this contact; a KAF4-KAF3-KAF2 adapter would have to tap the power to run a tiny motor powering a tiny screw_drive when appropriate.
Attached Images

Last edited by reh321; 12-08-2019 at 07:43 PM.
12-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #657
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or just simplify things, build a true mirrorless body with all the K-AF3 hardware in the body and sell it with a small adapter tube with all the needed connections to mount dslr K mount lenses at the proper registration distance. As an added bonus, the adapter could double as a full af extension tube on dslr’s.
12-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #658
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My point was only that the "technical difficulties" that Sigma faces in dealing with the K mount are similar to those faced when dealing with the F mount. They are not insurmountable if Sigma sells enough lenses to warrant the effort.
I have a feeling that this was an excuse from Sigma as to why the would no longer support K mount lens in their newer designs. After 2007 all Nikon bodies are able to use E (electronic aperture ) lenses. there are several lenses that Sigma has designed and still sell that use mechanical aperture control.
We first started seeing lenses that would be low volume sellers that Sigma no longer updated in K mount this really started around 2010 and the only updates that had K mount available are lenses that are higher volume sellers while the more specialized they stepped away.

We only started to see electronic aperture lenses from sigma after 2015
12-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #659
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Or just simplify things, build a true mirrorless body with all the K-AF3 hardware in the body and sell it with a small adapter tube with all the needed connections to mount dslr K mount lenses at the proper registration distance. As an added bonus, the adapter could double as a full af extension tube on dslr’s.
Well the mirrorless mount would have a vestigial screw mount and aperture connection? Guess they could do it like a DF does for the AI-s which it would either automatically or user-operated retract when unused.
12-09-2019, 12:33 AM   #660
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
I have a feeling that this was an excuse from Sigma as to why the would no longer support K mount lens in their newer designs. After 2007 all Nikon bodies are able to use E (electronic aperture ) lenses. there are several lenses that Sigma has designed and still sell that use mechanical aperture control.
We first started seeing lenses that would be low volume sellers that Sigma no longer updated in K mount this really started around 2010 and the only updates that had K mount available are lenses that are higher volume sellers while the more specialized they stepped away.

We only started to see electronic aperture lenses from sigma after 2015
I have the same feeling on this. Sigma lenses are made in one standard, where you are able to separate optical and drive block from part with mount and control electronics board etc. In every mount, the front section is the same. They just switch the back and use proper firmware to drive it.