Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 319 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #691
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I am "done" with my camera, lens and other purchases. The only thing I'm in the market for is a flash, as I sometimes miss the (admittedly, puny) fill flash from my K-7. And even that is neither a big nor urgent purchase.
I am fortunate in still having the flash unit I used with my "Super Program" thirty years ago to photograph our daughters when they were babies. Although, I have never used flash with my KP - only on occasion with my Q-7 or K-30.

12-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #692
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
I’m waiting for the next decade
No, that would be too much for me - next year would be fine
12-25-2019, 04:04 AM   #693
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Why are people at this Forum so acquisition oriented? What needs are here that could be satisfied if only Sigma would release 1 of the 28 lenses that the haven't released in K-mount yet, or haven't released in any mount? It seems that as soon as a person acquires a new camera, s/he starts looking forward to the next one.

This is an honest question. Personally, I have owned ten primary cameras in fifty years. Typically I purchase a new camera only because the old camera doesn't meet some need. For example, I purchased a new body in 1995 because I was ready for AF. I purchased the KP a year ago because I could make use of its high ISO capability; actually, I had planned that purchase for this Black Friday, but when Pentax lowered their prices so dramatically shortly after my K-30 started seriously suffering from Black Image Syndrome .....
It is fun to shoot with new lenses -- even if they are used and old. I haven't bought anything for a couple of years and the last lens I bought was the FA 135 mm f2.8.

I think with regard to this thread it has to do with Pentaxians wanting options. Currently, if you want a 50mm lens, Pentax makes a 50 f1.8, 50 f1.4 a big 50 f1.4 and a 55mm f1.4. That feels like enough, but Nikon users have even more options when you include Sigma and Tamron lenses in the equation. The same is true with other focal lengths, particular super-telephoto, where Pentax options are a bare minimum.
12-25-2019, 04:54 AM   #694
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think most of us have completed our requirements. It's just comforting and reassuring that you have options besides Pentax.

12-25-2019, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #695
Veteran Member

In my opinion, the Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8 Di VC USD Lens would have been a great offering for Pentax. Too bad it wasn't. I've seen some amazing photos from that lens.
12-25-2019, 07:46 AM   #696
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is fun to shoot with new lenses -- even if they are used and old. I haven't bought anything for a couple of years and the last lens I bought was the FA 135 mm f2.8.

I think with regard to this thread it has to do with Pentaxians wanting options. Currently, if you want a 50mm lens, Pentax makes a 50 f1.8, 50 f1.4 a big 50 f1.4 and a 55mm f1.4. That feels like enough, but Nikon users have even more options when you include Sigma and Tamron lenses in the equation. The same is true with other focal lengths, particular super-telephoto, where Pentax options are a bare minimum.
They have lots and lots of options - and most were made by Pentax - that is the point of long-term compatibility. By my last count, I have five 50mm lenses to choose among. They require manual focusing, but most say “Pentax” or “Asahi” on them ..... literaterally a riches of embarrassment since I, as a “APS-C” user have so little use for that focal length.
12-25-2019, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #697
Pentaxian

If I remember correctly, I've read somewhere about Kickstarter campaigns offering new lenses for Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc. But the Pentax campaign isn't fulfilled due to lack of preorders. If there aren't a big enough demand for 3rd party lenses from Pentax users, 3rd party manufacturers won't make lenses in K-mount.

12-25-2019, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #698
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
If I remember correctly, I've read somewhere about Kickstarter campaigns offering new lenses for Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc. But the Pentax campaign isn't fulfilled due to lack of preorders. If there aren't a big enough demand for 3rd party lenses from Pentax users, 3rd party manufacturers won't make lenses in K-mount.
That was the case with the Lomography Lomogon 32 mm f/2.5. 50 pledges of the K-mount version were necessary for it to be made, 33 were obtained (out of 1,146 lenses pledged).
12-26-2019, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #699
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why are people at this Forum so acquisition oriented? What needs are here that could be satisfied if only Sigma would release 1 of the 28 lenses that the haven't released in K-mount yet, or haven't released in any mount? ....
I think perhaps you're over-stating it just a little. It isn't so much being acquisition oriented, although I have no doubt that there are those here (as there are on any internet forum about anything) who simply have to be the first on their block to have the new, shiny widget, I think that for most of us it's about options. For the brand, of course, it's about having enough support in the ever-growing third-party market to guarantee survive-ability. In my case, and for all those of us who shoot wildlife, and birds in particular, the lack of 150-600mm and 60-600mm Sports and Contemporary series lenses from Sigma for K-mount is disappointing and has an actual impact on how far we can advance the level of our photography.

I shoot very regularly with two guys, one who uses a D500 (he's actually a Sigma ambassador) and the other shoots a 7D Mark Whatever-it-is, and they both have/have had both of those lenses. While I get excellent results with my Sigma 150-500, and I love it, those lenses are noticeably superior in low light, in terms of acquisition speed, sharpness, bokeh... go down the list. For me, at least, it's just a matter of wanting to be able to exercise the very good/quite excellent available options in third-party lenses (which have come a long way) to up my game. Plus, God forbid I have a mishap... there's only used stuff around to replace it, and those lenses are getting older and more worn out everyday; I can't believe the miles I've put on my 150-500 since I got it in April. Similarly, there are any number of times that I use my Sigma EX 70-200mm. Again, it's a very good lens, fast, sharp, capable, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Sports model they recently released. That lens is amazing in every way. The Sigmas also feature really excellent Optical Stabilization; while with Pentax IBIS, this isn't critical for the 70-200, when you've got your big lens out past 350mm, that matters a lot, and the Pentax 150-450mm doesn't offer that system. And for those who may be wondering, yes, I have actually tried the Pentax 150-450 several times, and the Pentax 70-200mm, for quite bit of rental money... They were both virtually mint; I didn't like either one.
12-26-2019, 11:12 AM   #700
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikek200d Quote
...... I think that for most of us it's about options...
Yes, this is important, to have the possibility to choose from several variants. For the K-mount these modern variants for third-party lenses are becoming less and less. Otherwise excellent photos can be taken with only one prime lens, but the discussion is about this aspect, the possibility of choosing.
12-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #701
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Yes, this is important, to have the possibility to choose from several variants. For the K-mount these modern variants for third-party lenses are becoming less and less. Otherwise excellent photos can be taken with only one prime lens, but the discussion is about this aspect, the possibility of choosing.
I think it comes down to having choices in given focal lengths regarding image quality, features, and price. Assuming there even is an offering in a given focal length for the K mount, you would normally like to get your feet wet with a less expensive option (useful for determining whether this is a focal length you will use frequently) before committing to a pricier optimal solution for the long term. The fact that Sigma no longer sells any big telephoto zoom lenses in the K mount means you have to make a $2,000.00 investment in the 150-450mm Pentax if you want to play in the super telephoto zoom waters--an investment that's roughly twice what Sigma would have required.
12-28-2019, 06:00 PM   #702
Pentaxian

I think perhaps you're over-stating it just a little. It isn't so much being acquisition oriented, although I have no doubt that there are those here (as there are on any internet forum about anything) who simply have to be the first on their block to have the new, shiny widget, I think that for most of us it's about options. For the brand, of course, it's about having enough support in the ever-growing third-party market to guarantee survive-ability. In my case, and for all those of us who shoot wildlife, and birds in particular, the lack of 150-600mm and 60-600mm Sports and Contemporary series lenses from Sigma for K-mount is disappointing and has an actual impact on how far we can advance the level of our photography.

I shoot very regularly with two guys, one who uses a D500 (he's actually a Sigma ambassador) and the other shoots a 7D Mark Whatever-it-is, and they both have/have had both of those lenses. While I get excellent results with my Sigma 150-500, and I love it, those lenses are noticeably superior in low light, in terms of acquisition speed, sharpness, bokeh... go down the list. For me, at least, it's just a matter of wanting to be able to exercise the very good/quite excellent available options in third-party lenses (which have come a long way) to up my game. Plus, God forbid I have a mishap... there's only used stuff around to replace it, and those lenses are getting older and more worn out everyday; I can't believe the miles I've put on my 150-500 since I got it in April. Similarly, there are any number of times that I use my Sigma EX 70-200mm. Again, it's a very good lens, fast, sharp, capable, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Sports model they recently released. That lens is amazing in every way. The Sigmas also feature really excellent Optical Stabilization; while with Pentax IBIS, this isn't critical for the 70-200, when you've got your big lens out past 350mm, that matters a lot, and the Pentax 150-450mm doesn't offer that system. And for those who may be wondering, yes, I have actually tried the Pentax 150-450 several times, and the Pentax 70-200mm, for quite bit of rental money... They were both virtually mint; I didn't like either one.
Pentax seems to have focused more on bodies recently, so maybe you should try your lens on the new body instead of wanting a new lens.
12-29-2019, 06:53 AM   #703
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax seems to have focused more on bodies recently, so maybe you should try your lens on the new body instead of wanting a new lens.

Well, first, outside of ONE camera that is finally coming this spring or summer, I don't see any "recent focus" by Pentax on new "bodies". Second, I'm pretty sure that buying the new body would be an acquisition. That aside, as it happens, depending on the new camera's features, that's precisely my plan, but it doesn't change the fact that the Sigma Global Vision lenses are miles superior to their past lenses, including what I already have, which was my point. Regardless of how good the new Pentax body may be, there will still be shortcomings in the available lenses that it won't/can't make up for; if the new body isn't what I think it needs to be, it may signal the end of my lifelong relationship with the brand, but that's a different discussion: I'm under the impression that this thread was a discussion of Sigma support for the brand, and my comment was on why it matters to certain users beyond buying new and shiny. What any of these incredibly obvious points have to do with what I had to say about the "acquisition oriented" label, I'm not sure, but hey, thanks for letting me know what you think I should do. I mean, you know, not that I asked. Perhaps you should focus on the points I raised as opposed to changing the subject to "what I should do".
12-29-2019, 07:49 AM - 2 Likes   #704
Pentaxian

Well, first, outside of ONE camera that is finally coming this spring or summer, I don't see any "recent focus" by Pentax on new "bodies". Second, I'm pretty sure that buying the new body would be an acquisition. That aside, as it happens, depending on the new camera's features, that's precisely my plan, but it doesn't change the fact that the Sigma Global Vision lenses are miles superior to their past lenses, including what I already have, which was my point. Regardless of how good the new Pentax body may be, there will still be shortcomings in the available lenses that it won't/can't make up for; if the new body isn't what I think it needs to be, it may signal the end of my lifelong relationship with the brand, but that's a different discussion: I'm under the impression that this thread was a discussion of Sigma support for the brand, and my comment was on why it matters to certain users beyond buying new and shiny. What any of these incredibly obvious points have to do with what I had to say about the "acquisition oriented" label, I'm not sure, but hey, thanks for letting me know what you think I should do. I mean, you know, not that I asked. Perhaps you should focus on the points I raised as opposed to changing the subject to "what I should do".
My point is that all recent Pentax bodies - the K-70, the KP, and the K-1ii - are strong in high ISO settings. That seems to be where Pentax has put most of the effort lately. That is the Pentax strength right now. If you want lots of new lenses, you are playing to Pentax's weakness. Neither they nor others are going to produce lots of new lenses in the future. If your goal is lots of new lenses, you are already facing disappointment in Pentax - you can either switch or complain, but you will not receive.
12-29-2019, 03:44 PM   #705
Pentaxian

My point is that all recent Pentax bodies - the K-70, the KP, and the K-1ii - are strong in high ISO settings. That seems to be where Pentax has put most of the effort lately. That is the Pentax strength right now. If you want lots of new lenses, you are playing to Pentax's weakness. Neither they nor others are going to produce lots of new lenses in the future. If your goal is lots of new lenses, you are already facing disappointment in Pentax - you can either switch or complain, but you will not receive.
You are absolutely correct. This isn't the market of 35 years ago, when everybody was rolling out their autofocus solutions and expected to produce lenses to work with those solutions. Too much money has been siphoned away from dedicated cameras and lenses by smartphones.