Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2019, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax terminated contracts with the retailer in Finland

I just heard from my local retailer in Finland, Pentax did suddenly drop off their contract couple of months ago. The new contract offered was not very retailer friendly considering Pentax's position on the camera marked. And my retailer did not sign it. At least in this situation Ricoh not telling the retailer anything about their roadmap.

So... Without knowing better, it feels Pentax (Ricoh) is not putting much effort on the marketing.

What you see is what you get. If you want to milk the cow, you need to give it something to eat.

I'm keeping and using my Pentax gear as long it works. And I'm happy with it. But this news won't build very great confidence for the future.

09-09-2019, 11:15 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Supakatti Quote
And my retailer did not sign it.
I bet your retailer whined to you about him being the poor innocent miserable little good one and Pentax being evil.

Oldest camel market story of the world.
09-09-2019, 11:18 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Didn't you google "Pentax" , had one of the first search results pointing to Quora Q&A: "Are Pentax cameras good?" , with best answer being "No Pentax cameras are not good... etc" .
Same with retailers here, but it is not new. Dumped Pentax because of other and various reasons (never the same).Sounds like the usual Pentax is doomed. They are promoting Sony, Sony gives more incentive to force customers to buy (aggressive marketing).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-09-2019 at 11:47 PM.
09-10-2019, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Meanwhile, in Germany, on of the BIG retailers started to sell Pentax again. I have the impression that things are moving in the right way, but at a slow pace, as we are accustomed to.

09-10-2019, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #5
Banned

Camera stores don't have it easy over the past 10 years. From the rise of the camera market to the rush towards online sales to the the decline of the market over the past years. You need to be selective to where your money as a store is invested in stocking items. The less you sell the less productive the invested money in stock is.
09-10-2019, 12:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Camera stores don't have it easy over the past 10 years. From the rise of the camera market to the rush towards online sales to the the decline of the market over the past years. You need to be selective to where your money as a store is invested in stocking items. The less you sell the less productive the invested money in stock is.
That's correct. Attempting to optimize sales, some shops react by reducing the number of brands they sell, some other shops want to increase the number of brands they sell in order to compensate for market erosion.
09-10-2019, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I bet your retailer whined to you about him being the poor innocent miserable little good one and Pentax being evil.

Oldest camel market story of the world.
On the contrary.
He's been selling Pentax for 40 years.

I find your comment offensive, because I know he is very Pentax friendly from the day he is born. And also because I'm committed Pentax user myself.

09-10-2019, 01:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

This is another thread for Pentaxisdoomedrumors.com
09-10-2019, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
I was expecting proper commenting about the situation of the Pentax resale.

But obviously people are not ready to face the problem.

I'm not spreading rumours nyt sad because the long time Pentax shop couldn't continue as their reseller.

The thread can be closed. I don't mind talking about it anymore.

Cheers all and have fun!
09-10-2019, 01:18 AM   #10

I think no one here knows the former conditions of the old contract and also of
the new contract, so we can't say anything about it...
09-10-2019, 01:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I just heard from my local retailer in Finland, Pentax did suddenly drop off their contract couple of months ago. The new contract offered was not very retailer friendly considering Pentax's position on the camera marked. And my retailer did not sign it. At least in this situation Ricoh not telling the retailer anything about their roadmap.

So... Without knowing better, it feels Pentax (Ricoh) is not putting much effort on the marketing.

What you see is what you get. If you want to milk the cow, you need to give it something to eat.

I'm keeping and using my Pentax gear as long it works. And I'm happy with it. But this news won't build very great confidence for the future.
I would not surprised if largest pentax "retailer" is Amazon nowadays...
Maybe this norsk retailer was just an anecdote sales wise.
09-10-2019, 01:57 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HolgerS Quote
I think no one here knows the former conditions of the old contract and also of
the new contract, so we can't say anything about it...
Yep, especially if a retailer wants stock on credit.

Camera companies would be foolish to be owed money by shops that are themselves going broke.

Bricks and mortar outlets are a disaster in this day and age.
09-10-2019, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I was expecting proper commenting about the situation of the Pentax resale.

I'm not spreading rumours nyt sad because the long time Pentax shop couldn't continue as their reseller.

The thread can be closed. I don't mind talking about it anymore.

Cheers all and have fun!
You don't give us any details. Did you expect us to say yeah that sucks. Ricoh is doing bad stuff. Good thing you warned us. Lets not buy Pentax any more they are not nice people.
09-10-2019, 02:28 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

You want to force your view of the situation on everyone else. That is the only problem.

QuoteQuote:
because the ... shop couldn't continue
It was not about "could not" but the shop owner "did not want to".
09-10-2019, 02:30 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread appears to be going nowhere, and the tone is a little snarky, so....
Closed Thread