Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2019, 02:32 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Ricoh \ Other \ Smart Vision. Of which Pentax is only a small part considering the emphasis put on GR III and Theta in Ricoh's latest financial reporting:

See https://www.ricoh.com/-/Media/Ricoh/Sites/com/IR/data/pre/pdf/r01q1_4.pdf page #11.
Hmm... Pentax doesn't get bigger or smaller according to what they write in financial reports

09-11-2019, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hmm... Pentax doesn't get bigger or smaller according to what they write in financial reports
By the sounds of it, camera sales profits are up. How about that!
09-11-2019, 05:00 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
By the sounds of it, camera sales profits are up. How about that!
But that has nothing to do with the assumption that "Pentax is only a small part" of Smart Vision/Ricoh Imaging.
09-11-2019, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But that has nothing to do with the assumption that "Pentax is only a small part" of Smart Vision/Ricoh Imaging.
Copied from the report:

Attached Images

09-11-2019, 05:10 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
FYI, you can also save it as a (quite large) pdf.
Go to the menu, click on Teilen (the well known icon for sharing), press Speichern (save), press Alle (all pages).
09-11-2019, 05:41 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Copied from the report:
Mark, that still has nothing to do with the assumption we're discussing.

Yes, the new products are selling and increased profitability. I never said they couldn't, I never said they're insignificant. Perhaps you're arguing on a different subject?
OTOH there are plenty of Pentax products, and I have a hard time believing that all of them make up for a fraction of the GR III (which is a niche product).
The Theta is a bit more complicated, Ricoh Imaging being a market leader; and it might see lot of business use. But I'm still asking for some proof.
09-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #37
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the new products are selling and increased profitability. I never said they couldn't, I never said they're insignificant. Perhaps you're arguing on a different subject?
OTOH there are plenty of Pentax products, and I have a hard time believing that all of them make up for a fraction of the GR III (which is a niche product).
The Theta is a bit more complicated, Ricoh Imaging being a market leader; and it might see lot of business use. But I'm still asking for some proof.
Smart Vision had a good quarter as one can read in the report. That is a sum of all parts in the camera business of wich the GRIII and Theta are named. Those are Ricoh branded camera's and Ricoh likes to name their own branded products and are a bit quiet about Pentax the last year (s).

I don't think GRIII is a niche product in a small company like Ricoh-Imaging. Their initial production in the quarter before was like 15.000 units and the last quarter could well be the same. That is a big chunk of the sales of Ricoh-Imaging.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-11-2019 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Inappropriate conduct
09-12-2019, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mark, that still has nothing to do with the assumption we're discussing.

Not sure where you're going with this. I'm not arguing. I'm merely pointing out what I see in the report. Am I missing something?
09-12-2019, 02:47 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Yes, you're missing the point which was about a certain itsy bitsy Pentax claim.
09-12-2019, 03:11 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Smart Vision had a good quarter as one can read in the report. That is a sum of all parts in the camera business of wich the GRIII and Theta are named. Those are Ricoh branded camera's and Ricoh likes to name their own branded products and are a bit quiet about Pentax the last year (s).
The problem of the brand brand is its image (reputation, not quite real) inherited from Hoya. Every time a reviewer will have to review a Pentax product , the reviewer will already have a per-conceived idea that auto-focus is not good & al from historical Pentax. About Pentax, people still refer to the Pentax AF of 10 years ago no matter how good is the newer Pentax model would be.So if Ricoh was going to make a camera with a brand new high performance AF system they would be better off naming the camera with Ricoh. Ricoh could keep the K mount but just start off from a blank sheet for the brand image. Ricoh doesn't have a bad reputation for camera AF, Ricoh doesn't have a reputation at all, no reputation is better than a bad reputation. Also, even if there is a Pentax user base attached to the Pentax brand, maintaining two brands doesn't make sense as it require to maintain verious sites for Ricoh and Pentax, using two names just weaken the Pentax and Ricoh brands of cameras.
09-12-2019, 03:20 AM - 3 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's all good. There has been less K mount gear released recently and Ricoh has launched other cameras like the Z1 and GR III, but in a market situation where sales are tanking -- even for companies launching new mounts -- to have good sales numbers is exceptional.

It is clear to me that (a) Pentax is going to continue releasing K mount gear and (b) it is going to do so on a conservative (read: slow) schedule. This is probably sustainable in the long run where launching a new mount and trying to fill in the lens gaps could sink the ship.

Last edited by Rondec; 09-12-2019 at 03:34 AM.
09-12-2019, 03:46 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is clear to me that (a) Pentax is going to continue releasing K mount gear
I don't know, but looking at the lenses on the roadmap, having Sigma and Tamron drop the K mount means more market for the K mount lenses to come. If Sigma never make a 85 1.4 for Pentax, we would probably already have the new D-FA*85 1.4 because Ricoh would have seen a larger business potential for that lens. Having more than one supplier for lenses for a mount. means that each additional supplier of lenses for that mount weaken the economical interest to make such lenses. Not every market benefit from competition (free market), competition is good as long as the market is big enough and as long as there aren't too many competitors competing for the same customers.