Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2019, 02:00 PM - 4 Likes   #136
Pentaxian

The problem as I see it is that the KP introduced some significant gains on the K3, but it isn't a flagship and falls behind the K3 in some ways that matter. I personally don't like the ergonomics of it and ergonomics are one of the things that I like most about the K7/K5/K3 line.

The K1 appears to be an awesome camera, but with things like frame rate, probably better for static subjects than a versatile all purpose camera, which is what I want. I'm 6, 8, maybe 10 years into my K5ii and it's far from dead, but I would be game to upgrade.

I don't think (for me) that the KP is a good upgrade for the K5ii for my purposes, though the image quality would be better. I'm tempted by the K1, but I don't need to go full frame and I think I'd be happy with ASP-C forever if I could catch up on some of the gaps. It makes no sense to me to buy a K3ii knowing it's image quality lags behind a camera down market from it from the same manufacturer.

I was involved in a thread a couple of years ago about how great it would be if they just released a K3iii with the sensor and processor upgrades that they have already released in the KP. I would have bought I then and I might still now, even though those gains are now several years old. At the time, the loudest voices in the room were saying that there would no K3iii because they had a bigger flagship upgrade that would be along any minute now and the incremental upgrade that I was asking for would be viewed as a failure OR that Pentax was dead and we'd never see another camera from them.

I'm not a "Pentax is doomed" guy and I don't wish that they would chase Sony, Canon, and Nikon into the FF mirrorless market (I wouldn't buy it, especially if it wasn't a K-Mount). I still enjoy shooting my K5 and my film Pentaxes, but they could have sold me a camera by now.

09-13-2019, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
@PENTAXIAN is the official Ricoh Imaging USA Twitter page, not the official Ricoh USA Twitter page.
And what is the official standing of their twit?
09-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And what is the official standing of their twit?
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.
09-13-2019, 02:18 PM - 2 Likes   #139
Pentaxian

Can I help you out?

1. Pentax executive from Japan.
2. Pentax executive from Ricoh Imaging U.S. (and Canada)
3. Office worker assigned to monitor Pentax tweets.
4. Temp worker assigned to watch tweets.
5. Stay at home dad with checklist of bullet points he is authorized to discuss working from his home office between changing the kid's diapers, while monitoring tweets about Pentax.
6. Hacker impersonating a Ricoh employee just to get his jollies for the day.
7. Street person in on public library computer getting his jollies.
8. The stock boy who opens and warehouses all the containers that come from Japan and Vietnam.
9. Some other kind of person I din't think of.

What do we actually know about this person? Just wondering.

Goes to establishing if the anonymous person is a reliable source your honour. After all we know (or can at least find out) who said the next APS-c flagship was coming. If it were part of the marketing department they would have said "A new APS_c flagship is in the works but the release date is as of yet unknown." That's marketing speak for "we don't have a freaking clue." That was not marketing speak... so who was it?

Last edited by normhead; 09-13-2019 at 02:35 PM.
09-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Would you be?
I am sure that you are better informed, Canon's performance of EF mount lenses on their EOS-R cameras by means of the adapter, is flawless. Unless you have a grudge against mirrorless, one can not seriously maintain that Canon takes a piss at its customers by pushing a mirrorless system down their throat just to make a good buck over your back. There is generally enough vitriol in mirrorless haters to do so nonetheless. I don't really have a preference myself, both systems have their strong points, and I appreciate the new mirrorless technologies, but shoot a Dslr still for birding.
To be quite honest, if Ricoh were to stop making K-mount cameras, and my KP stopped functioning before I did, as things stand right now an EOS-M camera would be top of my list of what to purchase (*) .... but I don't expect that to happen.

(*) unless I just went back to my K-30
09-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #141
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Would you be?
I am sure that you are better informed, Canon's performance of EF mount lenses on their EOS-R cameras by means of the adapter, is flawless. Unless you have a grudge against mirrorless, one can not seriously maintain that Canon takes a piss at its customers by pushing a mirrorless system down their throat just to make a good buck over your back. There is generally enough vitriol in mirrorless haters to do so nonetheless. I don't really have a preference myself, both systems have their strong points, and I appreciate the new mirrorless technologies, but shoot a Dslr still for birding.
I am not particularly well-informed nor do I have a grudge against mirrorless, but have serious doubts that Canon will continue to offer and support parallel product lines at the higher end in a contracting market. You mentioned a 7DII (nice camera) in the comment I responded to. My suspicion is that we may be looking at the last generation of higher-end Canon SLR cameras and lenses, hence my comment.

Pentax dSLR shooters may not be the only losers in terms of lens and body options in the near future. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Steve

(...Canon FD? Minolta SR? ... Praktica/Pentax/M42?...)
09-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #142
Pentaxian

Can I help you out?

1. Pentax executive from Japan.
2. Pentax executive from Ricoh Imaging U.S. (and Canada)
3. Office worker assigned to monitor Pentax tweets.
4. Temp worker assigned to watch tweets.
5. Stay at home dad with checklist of bullet points he is authorized to discuss working from his home office between changing the kid's diapers, while monitoring tweets about Pentax.
6. Hacker impersonating a Ricoh employee just to get his jollies for the day.
7. Street person in on public library computer getting his jollies.

What do we actually know about this person? Just wondering.

Goes to establishing if the anonymous person is a reliable source your honour.
Thank you for your clarification (*).

Excluding 6. and 7. the identity of the person that entered the message into the system is irrelevant. What's important is whether this statement was approved, at the appropriate level, before being posted. All I can say is that, even after the reports from Pentax Rumors and Photo Rumors and the threads here and at DPReview's, the tweet is still there, one week after being posted.

Twitter

(*) Your writing twit instead of tweet didn't help me understand...

09-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
it seems to me that Ricoh leaves a lot of money on the table by leaving users in the dark a little too long for comfort and not meeting previous release deadlines with no explanations offered.
Eric
As far as I am aware, all of the missed 'release deadlines' were created by us.

I agree that the empty space on shelves where the K-3ii should go is inexplicable.
I believe that there are several explanations
(1) parts needed to make K-3ii are no longer available
(2) Pentax/Ricoh has changed their minds several times
but we will never know.
09-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #144
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was personally quite impressed after reading the Canon literature. To my mind, they covered all the basis.

I was on the Henry's site reading the pre-release literature, thinking of posting about how bad Canon had messed up. The post never happened, couldn't find any dirt.
I have zero regrets switching to Canon, but in hindsight, I would have not switched, but added the Canon 400DOII. I got 3000,- for the DA560, but to get a lens with that superior resolving power at that focal length, will cost a whole lot more. The Canon 400DOII on the 7DII is fantastic in all the ways that my Pentax set-up bugged me, it allows for fast and responsive shooting, and if it misses, it is my fault. BIF but also situations where I have only a second to react, the Canon set-up is incredibly responsive and simply gets the shot. All I can now blame, is my technique. But looking forward, I may re-purchase the DA560 again, should Pentax bring out a body that makes shooting it less unreliable. Because adding a Canon 600mm f4 is not very attractive. I had hoped that one wildlife lens would do it all, but although possible perhaps, it will always be a compromise.
09-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #145
Pentaxian

Thank you for your clarification (*).

Excluding 6. and 7. the identity of the person that entered the message into the system is irrelevant. What's important is whether this statement was approved, at the appropriate level, before being posted. All I can say is that, even after the reports from Pentax Rumors and Photo Rumors and the threads here and at DPReview's, the tweet is still there, one week after being posted.

Twitter

(*) Your writing twit instead of tweet didn't help me understand...
My apologies... just my warped sense of humour. Not being a Brit, I get very few opportunities to call some one a twit or a twot. But I lived with a Brit for 18 months so I'm familiar with the term. I was implying that a person who engages in twitter was a twit. "Very clever" I thought.

Ya, ya, I know, "don't quit your day job."
09-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #146
Pentaxian

No need to apologise, you made a Frenchman discover a new English word and I thank you for that.
09-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #147
Pentaxian

Would you be?
We don't have access to the data and polls their management do. It is entirely conceivable this is a case of Canon and Nikon running to catch up with their 'followers'. After five years, Canon seems to finally have their EOS-M line running correctly, so there is no reason to question some one's moving to EOS-R. Nikon's situation is much less clear to me.
09-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #148
Pentaxian

No need to apologise, you made a Frenchman discover a new English word and I thank you for that.
OK then, just don't tell anyone where you heard it.
09-13-2019, 02:52 PM   #149
Pentaxian

OK then, just don't tell anyone where you heard it.
or that @normhead invented it (I'd never heard that word before either, but I correctly guessed what you were saying)
09-13-2019, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
or that @normhead invented it (I'd never heard that word before either, but I correctly guessed what you were saying)
I didn't invent it, but it was applied to me number of times, as in "You twit!!!!" if you must know the correct usage.