Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 635 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
7. Street person in on public library computer getting his jollies.
I don't know about Algonquin Park, but that's not how street people get their jollies in Seattle.

09-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
or that @normhead invented it (I'd never heard that word before either, but I correctly guessed what you were saying)
Now that I know: twit - Wiktionary
09-13-2019, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I don't know about Algonquin Park, but that's not how street people get their jollies in Seattle.
We have very educated street people here in Canada

I might know what street people do in Algonquin, if we had any streets.
09-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #154
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

"You twit!!!!"
Alternatively..."You little twit!!!!" or "You (expletive deleted) twit!!!!"...

Steve

09-13-2019, 03:22 PM - 2 Likes   #155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Alternatively..."You little twit!!!!" or "You (expletive deleted) twit!!!!"...

Steve
Which begs the question which is worse, a "little twit" or a "big twit"?

I believe I've been called both... it's important to know whether I'm improving if I'm called a little twit first and then a big twit later. Am I getting better or worse?

These are questions still lingering from a failed relationship 35 years ago. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Last edited by normhead; 09-13-2019 at 04:01 PM.
09-13-2019, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #156
Pentaxian

IF Pentax were to officially shutter (I'm not a believer that this is imminent, by the way), I would likely buy a K1 to compliment my K5ii, add/swap a couple of lenses and then be set for the rest of my life.

I have occasionally regretted not buying a Nikon D7000 when I bought my K5, but there were reasons then that I did not and they were sound. As long as Pentax is an option for me, I'm in.
09-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #157
Pentaxian

Which begs the question which is worse, a "little twit" or a "big twit"?

I believe I've been called both... it's important to know whether I'm improving if I'm called a little twit first and then a big twit later. Am I getting better or worse?

These a questions still lingering from a failed relationship 35 years ago. I'm still trying to figure it out.
From the Wiktionary page quoted above: 'In the UK, the word "twit" for a person is usually used in a humorous or affectionate manner.' You probably overreacted in dumping her.

09-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
From the Wiktionary page quoted above: 'In the UK, the word "twit" for a person is usually used in a humorous or affectionate manner.' You probably overreacted in dumping her.
As i recall, she dumped me...not that that's important now. She had two teenage daughters, one who hated me, one who was always trying to seduce me. A really bad situation.It really just wasn't working, although we stayed friends for years, just not around her kids.
09-13-2019, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #159
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
May be another way to cut all stress about .From 83,710 members this community ask Adam as Director this forum sent e mail to Pentax official with all our concern
They not idiot to ignore 83,710 potential customer who want to buy and support Pentax business
09-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #160
Veteran Member

They are. And they have considerably more cameras and gear available than I'll ever be able to buy currently in their catalogue. Apparently others have itchy pockets full of money and will only buy newly released product.
Not exactly the point I was making.
09-13-2019, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #161

You know, I am actually pretty happy with the pace of Pentax's releases. They don't put out a ton of mediocre products a year for the sake of doing it. They don't pass off firmware updates as new models. They're the quiet guy who doesn't talk until he has something to say.

For me, my k70 is a better camera than I am a photographer. My sad little collection of flea market lenses (and my 15mm Limited) serves me well enough. If it doesn't, the used market is always there. And every once in a while, a treat of a brand new lens. The camera itself is a Sherman tank. It's the klr650 of cameras. And it sits nicely in its own little spot of advanced beginners. When it's time to upgrade, we'll see what's out. Maybe a K mount mirrorless?

As a hobbyist with a family and bills and other interests, I am part of the problem. Yeah, you got me for life, but I'm not spending a ton of money.

Anyways, I don't particularly care directly about a new camera*. I'd love to see a different surprise. Maybe kick ass firmware updates? Maybe they're selling in brick and mortar stores in the US? They don't right now. A couple government contracts would be cool. I think we're just a bit early for another go at the k-01. But if it's nothing, then at least it won't be a time waste something.
09-13-2019, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #162
Pentaxian

Some people are being "drama queens" here. I have been around for the real thing - the discontinuing of a brand.

The automobile in my photo below is in the Henry Ford Museum today - but it was manufactured just a few miles from my home. When I was in high school, the company closed their factory in town, and moved everything to Canada for a few years .... until they completely gave up. The workers are the ones who were affected .... members of my class could forget about getting summer jobs, because every little task was being done by former auto workers who had to figure out how to continue putting food on the table. Some owners - even today - come to town every year for a 'rally' - but most owners just moved on. The dealerships moved to other brands, as did the owners. The snow-brushes and jacks they owned were just as usable on any brand as they were on the original automobiles.

The thing that makes camera companies 'special' is these auxiliary devices.
If the company you patronize goes out of business, you have very limited choices about what to do with your lenses, your batteries, etc.

We could not move on quite as easily as Studebaker owners did - but there is absolutely no reason for us to expect this to happen. Ricoh is being very quiet, but that is how they work. When they have something they want us to know, they will tell us. In the meantime, we can continue to use our current cameras to take photos like the one below.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
09-13-2019, 06:20 PM - 2 Likes   #163
Site Supporter

Seems like a scripted response from a Twitter intern. If you take a look at the ricohimaging_jp Twitter, the brand seems far from dead (despite the lack of new camera announcements). They just seem to be dedicating their PR resources to their homeland.

And anyway, isn't it well established that Ricoh/Pentax is generally frustratingly tight-lipped about new product announcements/info.
09-13-2019, 06:33 PM - 2 Likes   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
And anyway, isn't it well established that Ricoh/Pentax is generally frustratingly tight-lipped about new product announcements/info.
Indeed.

I don't think that Ricoh Imaging or its global subsidiaries had ever given any official or positive product schedules concerning the period in question (northern hemisphere fall/autumn). So, this Twitter item doesn't appear to contradict any previous news, nor does it reveal any spectre about the future of the Pentax brand.

- Craig
09-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

really not too sure how to look at this and the responses so far.

Whether there be any new cam bodies or new lenses coming out in the next few quarters, is more or less irrelevant.

If there be new cam bodies or lenses coming out, that's great.
(Although, next logical point will be, "are you getting it?" If yes, good for you. If no, then why fret about no new items coming out in first place?)

If nothing is coming out, so be it.
And IF you need (not 'want', "need") another lens of a focal length that isnt covered in current DFA or DA range, plenty choices still available from the FA series (or from old Sigmas, Tamrons, etc).

On cam bodies, give and take, it seems a new cam body will be put out once every 18-24mths (on average).
And unless it be a person who snaps images for a living, a cam body likely will last any other person anywhere from at least 3-4 years or even up to 8-9years (or even more), and likely that cam body, even if it is a 8year old design by then, will likely still do more than one ever will utilise it for.

But of course, IF what one intends to do now, not likely to be fulfilled by current Pentax cam bodies, then guess can always look over at Sony or Canikon side.
No right or wrong "brand" to go with.
All a matter of what one prefers, and if one has the $$$ ability to undertake that preference, great.
Else, look at next best alternative.

Remember, most times and with most things, there are no perfect solutions, only perfect compromises.

And thus far, all factors considered (and i mean ALL, as many as you can factor in), pentax is the perfect conpromise (to me, for me, dunno about others).

But if i do find another "perfect conpromise" in a Sony or Fuji or whatever, and IF i have the $$$ means to, then i seek out that other perfect compromise.

So, cease fretting whether any new toys coming out.
Play with current toys in the playpen.

Cheers.