Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 635 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #856
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I don't think I've ever shot one handed on any camera. Hell, I even two hand my phone when shooting with it.
I was taught to grip a camera with two hands. It’s an ingrained habit and has been since 1967.

I could reach up with my left hand, change to a new Mode and put my hand back in considerably less than a second. It would be very similar to changing the shutter speed on an MX.

12-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #857
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Believe me, I got that. Still, others have other preferences. Again, life can be so simple.
Others can scream and scream, and scream that the KP is too small to use with a 'long' lens - or perhaps with any lens - life would be so simple if they would deign to hold the lens with the hand they insist on not using, but you don't ever seem to be around to tell them that.
12-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #858
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I also use the K-3II two handed - one on the grip and one on the lens. Very rarely do I one hand the camera and only if I have a small lens on it, like a DA*55 or 35 Limited, and only if I just want to take a quick peek through the viewfinder. I personally can't keep the camera stable enough with one hand because it constantly wants to torque downward. The KP seems like a perfect camera for one hand holding because it's so small (and I presume light?) But the larger K-1, K-3, K-5, etc seem to large and heavy to hold one hand.
KP is really about the same size as K-5 ll - a couple mm shorter at the shoulders - though I think KP is a bit heavier.

Comparison
12-09-2019, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #859
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
One handed photo shoot, wow. Maybe when I didn't have trigger finger that would've been possible. Now I my thumb hurts and I don't want to drop my camera.
I feel your pain, well, not anymore, I had both thumbs fixed this year (not at the same time), five minute surgery and a very quick recovery,
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Others can scream and scream, and scream that the KP is too small to use with a 'long' lens - or perhaps with any lens - life would be so simple if they would deign to hold the lens with the hand they insist on not using, but you don't ever seem to be around to tell them that.
You're so right, I think that autofocus and shake reduction has made it a lot easier to get results with inefficient camera holding technique.

12-31-2019, 08:10 AM   #860
Loyal Site Supporter

Its fun to watch the press crowds holding their cameras high overhead, one handed, and spraying the subjects with bursts of shots while they fill their buffers... meh...
01-05-2020, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #861
Pentaxian

Found in my travels on the information highway.

You have been warned.

01-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #862
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax survives at the whim and behest of RICOH....the truth is all DSLR camera sales are down, mirrorless bodies have plateaued and RICOH's sole new offering was a GR III model with a RICOH nameplate (not Pentax). Pentax itself is a licensed name brand from Hoya/Pentax. Nonetheless, loyal Pentaxians continue to buy their products in niche (I do and encourage others to as well). Niche brands can survive, but ultimately, prosumers and even professionals will suffer. Costs of niche products and need to be profitable in ever shrinking markets will raise prices for lovers of cameras and true photography. Some brands will go out of business. it's reality.
Since I am now in my 6th decade it will be up to others to carry the true essence of photography forward. Perhaps Camera phones and technology will turn present day standards into new ones. Just as 19th Century large Bellow cameras shrunk to rangefinders and DSLRs, so will the small high speed iPhones/ smart devices push photographers like me into a niche.
Then....a renaissance of old school picture taking will emerge, not unlike the niche revival of phonograph records.
Nonetheless, the days of large volume sales is over....I thank the creators of this Forum every day as it has become a bastion of learning, opinion, sharing of all there is in Photography. The overall emphasis is on Pentax/RICOH, but there are threads dealing with other brands and types of cameras, making PF unique among forum sites of this type..long may it run...

01-05-2020, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #863
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Pentax survives at the whim and behest of RICOH....the truth is all DSLR camera sales are down, mirrorless bodies have plateaued and RICOH's sole new offering was a GR III model with a RICOH nameplate (not Pentax). Pentax itself is a licensed name brand from Hoya/Pentax. Nonetheless, loyal Pentaxians continue to buy their products in niche (I do and encourage others to as well). Niche brands can survive, but ultimately, prosumers and even professionals will suffer. Costs of niche products and need to be profitable in ever shrinking markets will raise prices for lovers of cameras and true photography. Some brands will go out of business. it's reality.
Since I am now in my 6th decade it will be up to others to carry the true essence of photography forward. Perhaps Camera phones and technology will turn present day standards into new ones. Just as 19th Century large Bellow cameras shrunk to rangefinders and DSLRs, so will the small high speed iPhones/ smart devices push photographers like me into a niche.
Then....a renaissance of old school picture taking will emerge, not unlike the niche revival of phonograph records.
Nonetheless, the days of large volume sales is over....I thank the creators of this Forum every day as it has become a bastion of learning, opinion, sharing of all there is in Photography. The overall emphasis is on Pentax/RICOH, but there are threads dealing with other brands and types of cameras, making PF unique among forum sites of this type..long may it run...
1. Not whim. It's all very much deliberate and "researched".
2. Theta Z1
3. Age is a state of mind
01-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #864
Pentaxian

Hell is other people
01-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #865
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Age is a state of mind
For some things, yes, but my body will give out at sometime, and my birth 72 years ago gives a good idea of when that will happen. No matter how many "happy thoughts" I keep, every one would be amazed if I am still posting here in fifty years.
01-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #866
Pentaxian

For some things, yes, but my body will give out at sometime, and my birth 72 years ago gives a good idea of when that will happen. No matter how many "happy thoughts" I keep, every one would be amazed if I am still posting here in fifty years.
Maybe you'll also celebrate the centennial, just like Pentax/Asahi Optical, and in good health.
01-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #867
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
Hell is other people
Jean-Paul Sartre (Huis clos / No Exit)
01-05-2020, 11:12 AM   #868
Pentaxian

You're in your 8th decade. Being in his 6th decade, Merv-O is a youngster.
01-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #869
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
You're in your 8th decade. Being in his 6th decade, Merv-O is a youngster.
I'm going to keep taking photos until I'm dead or until I can't carry a KP any longer...
01-05-2020, 05:55 PM - 2 Likes   #870
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I'm going to keep taking photos until I'm dead or until I can't carry a KP any longer...
I may have to learn how to use a tripod better - one welded to a walker, welded to a wheel chair.