Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 635 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The blogger posting this is immaterial. The statement about no plans to announce new camera is directly from the Ricoh Imaging USA Twitter account, so that is meaningful.
So the twitter world is where Ricoh/Pentax distributes all of its important imformation......Wow? My point was that an unsubstantiated post from a low level employee at Ricoh Imaging USA has triggered all of this. Do you actually think the person at Ricoh Imaging would have said "Why yes we do plan to announce a new camera very soon"? I hope you don't really believe this tripe!

09-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
As a matter of fact, some of the most vocal complainers use old Pentax models with old lenses, they didn't even buy anything for two or three generations of Pentax cameras.
So true.

The same hilarious thing happens when you check the vocal complainers who clamor for exotic and expensive niche lenses. Lots of meh el-cheapo 3rd party lenses mixed with flea market manual glass. Ymeda.
09-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #78
Pentaxian

I think there's a difference between complaining on Ricoh for what it never promised (like a new K mount camera this year) and complaining on what they did promise (like 70-200 for spring 2019, then changed to 2019 or later, probably going to be 2020 or later...).

Personally I am pretty happy with what I have, but I understand those that chose Pentax not only for what they had, but also for what was promised, and feel disappointed now.
09-13-2019, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
So the twitter world is where Ricoh/Pentax distributes all of its important imformation......Wow? My point was that an unsubstantiated post from a low level employee at Ricoh Imaging USA has triggered all of this. Do you actually think the person at Ricoh Imaging would have said "Why yes we do plan to announce a new camera very soon"? I hope you don't really believe this tripe!
They could/should have said 'We don't comment on the launch of future products'. Alternatively, they could have said 'Watch this account carefully, exciting news will be published until the 100th anniversary.' They chose to act differently.

09-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you saying there is a life to be lived and photos to be taken and both are going to waste over nothing of substance?Steve
There are plenty posting nothing of substance and believing anything from social media. These folks need to get a photography life!
09-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
They could/should have said 'We don't comment on the launch of future products'. Alternatively, they could have said 'Watch this account carefully, exciting news will be published until the 100th anniversary.' They chose to act differently.
Who the hell are THEY? Has Ricoh ever announced anything during a Twitter post especially after a question from some unimportant blogger who doesn't even shoot Pentax?
09-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaMiCL Quote
Pentax did mention in 2018 something about blowing our minds with something awesome this year because it's their 100th anniversary. (...)
Did they? When? Where?

09-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"We don't have plans for a new camera this fall" doesn't mean that there will be no new camera this fall. A new camera can be released without plan, something like a surprise release (unplanned).
09-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Who the hell are THEY?
Ricoh Imaging USA a.k.a. @PENTAXIAN on Twitter, 'the official Ricoh Imaging USA Twitter page.'

Twitter
09-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Or rather, the guy posting on that account.
09-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
That's really disappointing news. I was looking forward with anticipation to a new APS-C flagship this year.
Then you haven't been around for a while. Since CP+ this year we were told that the successor to K-3 II wouldn't be launched until next year.

A K-mount camera announced this fall could only have been the successor to K-70.
09-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Because it is coming from the official Ricoh account...so there would be accountability if they are giving misleading statements, which appear as official decisions.
Does some guy with access to the Ricoh twitter account , count as a "Pentax official." I guess. Does the guy who made the tweet have inside knowledge at Pentax operations? Who knows. YOU have accountability when you know the name of the guy and his position in the company. I'm not trusting that the guy managing the twitter account is even on the same continent as Pentax headquarters.

Made even more irrelevant by the fact that I don't really care one way or the other. If something comes out, I'll buy it when my K-3 dies, if it doesn't come out until next year, I'll still probably buy it when my K-3 dies.

Before digital, I had one body, and one cheaper back up body, and they got replaced when a camera died. I still have functional Program Plus bought in 94 and an ME in working condition. I think I'm going to appreciate going back to that.

Last edited by normhead; 09-13-2019 at 09:39 AM.
09-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So the twitter world is where Ricoh/Pentax distributes all of its important imformation......
Works for the POTUS.
09-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
No new R&D is even required.

Even developing a new camera model entirely from components bought in from other suppliers involves significant costs. You simply cannot bring a new product to market without a substantial capital investment. So the smart money in the camera business right now is on slowing down the pace of development.

We'll end up with a market similar to the film SLR market in the days of the technology's full maturity (although probably with fewer players). Each camera manufacturer will have a low-cost, easy to use beginner's camera for the casual market, a more advanced model with features that appeal to the hobbyist photographer, and a top-of-the-range beast suitable for professional use. And each of those models will have a shelf life of several years before any replacement comes along.

Pentax will have the extra advantage of a medium format offering too.
09-13-2019, 09:35 AM - 4 Likes   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Ricoh Imaging USA a.k.a. @PENTAXIAN on Twitter, 'the official Ricoh Imaging USA Twitter page.'

Twitter
Actually, my wife hacked their Twitter feed to keep me from getting excited about another camera

-Eric