Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2019, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's all because people think that no new camera means no revenues for Ricoh.

Yep, that's the core of the problem. People don't seem to understand that a camera maker needs to be confident that it can sell enough units to recover the R&D costs, plus manufacturing and marketing, and make a profit at the end of it. Once upon a time there were enough early adopters out there that a constant stream of new cameras was the profitable way to do business, but those days are gone.

In the initial phase of the digital photography era, the technology was evolving at a pace that meant that even casual non-enthusiasts felt justified in buying a new camera every year or two. But those days are gone, the technology is now mature, and there aren't enough early adopter gear collectors out there to sustain the old pace of camera releases any more. The market will have to adjust to live with that new reality, and the companies that survive will be the ones that focus on their bottom lines rather than on the whingeing of internet fanboys.

09-13-2019, 03:26 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's the quiet(er) ones which are/will be buying.

Remember the ever present MILC requests? Most cases, the author should add, "not for me, I already have my Sony/Fuji/whatever".
I bought, in succession:
K5
K5IIS
K3
KP
K3II

If there had been a K3 successor, I would have bought it at release. But there wasn't one to buy....
09-13-2019, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

While some sites are gleefully reporting newsworthy subjects like "no Pentax this fall" or "Sigma gave up on Pentax", Imaging Resource...
Theta in space: Ricoh partners with JAXA for out-of-this-world spherical panos
09-13-2019, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I bought, in succession:
K5
K5IIS
K3
KP
K3II

If there had been a K3 successor, I would have bought it at release. But there wasn't one to buy....

That's because there aren't enough buyers like you around to justify the costs of releasing a K3 successor yet. There are an awful lot of people around who have had cameras for the past couple of years that already do everything they want to do, at a quality that they're happy with, so why would they want the K3 successor even when it does come out?

And no, that doesn't mean that Pentax is doomed. It just means that the market has changed, and I think Pentax is one of the brands that has already accepted that and adjusted to the new reality.

09-13-2019, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be interested in a K-3 successor, but my K-3 still works great. And with my camera use split between the K-1 and K-3, it's going to last quite awhile.
09-13-2019, 04:26 AM - 4 Likes   #36
Veteran Member

You can’t have a birthday party without a cake
09-13-2019, 04:30 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Yep, that's the core of the problem. People don't seem to understand that a camera maker needs to be confident that it can sell enough units to recover the R&D costs, plus manufacturing and marketing, and make a profit at the end of it. Once upon a time there were enough early adopters out there that a constant stream of new cameras was the profitable way to do business, but those days are gone.

In the initial phase of the digital photography era, the technology was evolving at a pace that meant that even casual non-enthusiasts felt justified in buying a new camera every year or two. But those days are gone, the technology is now mature, and there aren't enough early adopter gear collectors out there to sustain the old pace of camera releases any more. The market will have to adjust to live with that new reality, and the companies that survive will be the ones that focus on their bottom lines rather than on the whingeing of internet fanboys.
I think many Pentaxians are anxious, and probably rightfully so, that K-mount is such a niche now that it's always going to be a dicey proposition for Ricoh/Pentax to release a new camera and expect a positive ROI. Yes, the Pentax is Doomed™ crowd has been around a long time and has always been wrong, but this is a different environment. Just because they survived 10 years ago doesn't necessarily mean their business model will work in 2020 or 2025.

But hopefully it will. My Pentax gear has helped me take a ton of great photographs. When I'm in the old folks home in 30 or 40 years I'll be looking at Pentax photographs of my kids growing up. I'd like that to continue with improved cameras and more complete lines of lenses.

---------- Post added 09-13-19 at 07:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
This recipe works as well in a 100th Anniversary Pentax mug as in any other.

09-13-2019, 04:47 AM - 3 Likes   #38

Pentax did mention in 2018 something about blowing our minds with something awesome this year because it's their 100th anniversary. I was just about beginning to think, not releasing anything new on a 100-year anniversary is quite mind-blowing.

I like how being a Pentax user turns off the desire for the most cutting edge stuff like 6-8K video. Settling with three year old tech is the best way for me to save money while getting a quality device. I'm loving this life hack -- living three years in the past, if I may.

It also makes me notice the smallest things that I really really want. Now I want a fully-electronic shutter mode so bad that I am considering switching to KP from K-70.
09-13-2019, 04:56 AM - 3 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't give a damn.
Somehow, at some point, I'll buy a K1 second hand and later a newer GR.

People leaving=more K1 second hand. Please go, guys .... 😁
09-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I bought, in succession:
K5
K5IIS
K3
KP
K3II

Yes. And you became quite vocal about it after deciding to go with other brands

---------- Post added 13-09-19 at 03:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
The cake is a lie.

---------- Post added 13-09-19 at 03:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaMiCL Quote
Pentax did mention in 2018 something about blowing our minds with something awesome this year because it's their 100th anniversary.
They did? Are you sure?
09-13-2019, 05:45 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Oh no! No new camera this year. That's sad. I don't need a new one but, a new camera stirs up pentaxforums. All the comments are fun to read.
09-13-2019, 06:14 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that there is going to be some sort of merger in the camera industry. Nothing I have heard, but it make too much business sense not to be in the minds of some CEO"'s.

I think that Pentax was caught flat footed by the response to the introduction of the K1. In a declining industry it actually succeeded way beyond their expectations. Because they probably anticipated softer sales they really had nothing new in the line to actually support it as a system. One new FF lens announcement and introduction since it's release is not much of a vote of confidence in the future. ( By new I do not mean re-engineered old designs.)

The K1 is still a great camera and will be for some time. I have no intention of dumping my K1 or K1-II, but unless something happens to make my change my mind I will not be spending any more money on my K-mount system either. The money is set aside in the event of something surprising, but if nothing happens I will need to look at other brands. Something I am loathe to do.

Since the Pentax brand is much more than just cameras, I do not feel that the brand is doomed in any sense.
09-13-2019, 06:27 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Fairy tales are for kids. The reality is, whether-or-not we see anything new from Pentax this year, Pentax is well and truly "here"
Possibly. Sony didn't do much to impress with the 6100 and 6600. Canon didn't do much better with the 90D and M6 mk2. Nikon still has nothing to replace the D500, D7200. Fujifilm is also on somewhat of a slump despite the x-t3 /30.
They all seem to be avoiding making more higher end of the mid range and and top end aps-c and focus more on full frame. Come to think of it MFT is more active.

No news from Pentax won't suddenly stop my Pentax gear from working. However i believe that it's a mistake to push something as important as a centennial and have even less than a decent museum exhibit and to be blunt this seems more like an attempt to discredit Pentax so that Ricoh doesn't have to hide the fact that it's abusing it's acquisition of Pentax. It certainly isn't the first time this has happened.

I often wonder about how the Pentax employees are treated. They always seem like they on a severe depression and they look burnt out and on the verge of loosing it.
09-13-2019, 06:36 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I think that there is going to be some sort of merger in the camera industry. Nothing I have heard, but it make too much business sense not to be in the minds of some CEO"'s.

I think that Pentax was caught flat footed by the response to the introduction of the K1. In a declining industry it actually succeeded way beyond their expectations. Because they probably anticipated softer sales they really had nothing new in the line to actually support it as a system. One new FF lens announcement and introduction since it's release is not much of a vote of confidence in the future. ( By new I do not mean re-engineered old designs.)

The K1 is still a great camera and will be for some time. I have no intention of dumping my K1 or K1-II, but unless something happens to make my change my mind I will not be spending any more money on my K-mount system either. The money is set aside in the event of something surprising, but if nothing happens I will need to look at other brands. Something I am loathe to do.

Since the Pentax brand is much more than just cameras, I do not feel that the brand is doomed in any sense.
Didn't Hoya already strip the valuable bits (the medical side)?

I'm honestly a bit confused by their strategy, I understand they're a small guy, but it's not like their current bodies are terribly current (I felt like the K1 mk II was just Sony releasing tweaked silicon), and something like 3-4 lenses this year, and some of those are just updated coatings.

It's a shrinking market for sure, and mirrorless isn't exactly raising the boats, but releasing little to nothing seems ominous. I'm not going to upgrade my K3, but they make it easy by not releasing anything. Buying used doesn't help Ricoh's bottom line either.
09-13-2019, 06:40 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

Pentax has product to sell. They make money selling it. The value of new releases is questionable.