Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 635 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2019, 06:40 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
Didn't Hoya already strip the valuable bits (the medical side)?

I'm honestly a bit confused by their strategy.
"Valuable bits (the medical side)"? So in your opinion, Pentax Imaging is not valuable?

IMO they might work on completely new cameras - they did that with the GR III, might do the same with Pentax. Changing the processor family and OS, changing everything else - stuff like that.
Unless we'll have a very quiet CP+, I see no reason to get worried.

09-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In that case we will definitely get a new camera in the 11 days left of summer, and 10 days of winter, in 2019
Hahaha!

November 27 will reveal the status of Pentax. We probably won't hear anything about Pentax around then either. Hahaha!
09-13-2019, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"Valuable bits (the medical side)"? So in your opinion, Pentax Imaging is not valuable?

IMO they might work on completely new cameras - they did that with the GR III, might do the same with Pentax. Changing the processor family and OS, changing everything else - stuff like that.
Unless we'll have a very quiet CP+, I see no reason to get worried.
There must be new processors AF units etc. available. People complain is it's just a tweak upgrade like the K-3ii and K-1ii then they complain if it takes longer than a tweak. People just complain.

The big question... what's your rush?
These are completely arbitrary attention seeking arguments. You can never question someone's arbitrary decision, it will never make sense to anyone not in the same emotional state.

My camera still does exactly what I bought it for the way I want it to do it. If I need some further capability I'll buy something else. Pretending I'm waiting for Pentax to release something I want just isn't in the cards.

There are people who take action based on what's available and people who whine about things they can't control.

The ones who take action are out shooting. The whiners are hanging around the forum complaining about how Pentax is ruining their lives.

Last edited by normhead; 09-13-2019 at 07:08 AM.
09-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax has product to sell.
As long as Pentax products are for sale, I'm fine.

09-13-2019, 07:15 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Veteran Member

That's really disappointing news. I was looking forward with anticipation to a new APS-C flagship this year.
09-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #51
Pentaxian

I know where there's mushroom I want an image of.... I'll post when I get back. enough talk.

---------- Post added 09-13-19 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
That's really disappointing news. I was looking forward with anticipation to a new APS-C flagship this year.
It's not news, its a rumour.
09-13-2019, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"Pentax has no plans" = "there is no official announcement"

Anybody publically announcing a release before an official announcement would be looking for a job right now.

09-13-2019, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't believe this thread and all the strange comments that have gone on for this many pages from one post from a rumor site that picked up a twitter feed from some obscure blogger who doesn't shoot Pentax systems. Have all of you gone absolutely bonkers? I'll answer my question, yes you have!
09-13-2019, 07:25 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaMiCL Quote
Pentax did mention in 2018 something about blowing our minds with something awesome this year because it's their 100th anniversary. I was just about beginning to think, not releasing anything new on a 100-year anniversary is quite mind-blowing.

I like how being a Pentax user turns off the desire for the most cutting edge stuff like 6-8K video. Settling with three year old tech is the best way for me to save money while getting a quality device. I'm loving this life hack -- living three years in the past, if I may.

It also makes me notice the smallest things that I really really want. Now I want a fully-electronic shutter mode so bad that I am considering switching to KP from K-70.
Do you accept the fact that shake reduction does not work with electtonic shutter and there is flickering when shooting indoors in artificidl light? You can't shoot in series, HDR, etc.
09-13-2019, 07:26 AM - 2 Likes   #55
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
I've said it before in a variety of ways, and I'll say it again... The time to look forward to a new product release, regardless of brand, is when the company itself makes an official, specific announcement - and we've not had that from Ricoh. The moment there's the slightest rumour of a rumour of something someone read somewhere, the rumour takes on a life of its own and, before long, we're all expecting a new camera or lens when no such thing was promised. We really are our own worst enemies, at times
09-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Why are so many people so desperate for a new camera anyway? What is it you need that you haven't got now, that's so vital that Ricoh should invest the research and development funds necessary to give it to you?

What are the specific photographs that you need to take that you can't take now with a K-1ii or a KP? And I'm not talking about technologically unavailable fantasies like: "Yeah, cos I wanna get shots of owls in total darkness with instantaneous autofocus and no noise at ISO 500,000."

And don't just give us a list of things that other manufacturers are doing that you think Pentax should be doing, because its the other camera makers who are blowing millions on R&D for unnecessary new product lines that are really in trouble. It's exactly by accepting that the technology is now mature and slowing down the pace of development that Pentax will survive.
This question has been answered many times. No new R&D is even required.
09-13-2019, 07:28 AM - 2 Likes   #57

There was a post on this forum earlier this year who quoted a interview with a pentax official, saying that there was high probability for a new camera release in q1-q2 2020.
So no release this fall, is no surprise.
09-13-2019, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

I think Ricoh see cameras as portable black pieces of office equipment. Just a functional tool designed for a purpose. I am quite comfortable with that because at the end of the day that is all it is!
How often do you upgrade your office equipment?
09-13-2019, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If people were going to buy only the bestest cameras, with all the features possible, a million pixels and AF speed and accuracy measured in the nanoscale, no one would ever buy a camera. I mean, why would ANYONE buy something that they are already disappointed with in advance?

I'm going to do like @Normhead, after work I'm gonna grab the camera and try some buildings. Light's been lovely these days.
09-13-2019, 07:39 AM - 3 Likes   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I can't believe this thread and all the strange comments that have gone on for this many pages from one post from a rumor site that picked up a twitter feed from some obscure blogger who doesn't shoot Pentax systems. Have all of you gone absolutely bonkers? I'll answer my question, yes you have!
The blogger posting this is immaterial. The statement about no plans to announce new camera is directly from the Ricoh Imaging USA Twitter account, so that is meaningful.