Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 635 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Or rather, the guy posting on that account.
Maybe Ricoh hired this guy to post on their Twitter account

Last edited by luftfluss; 05-04-2020 at 07:06 PM.
09-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #92
Pentaxian

I ask myself...do I, as a Pentaxian need a new camera body ? I've got my K1, K5, K10D, Km and Ricoh GR ll. I'm happy with the stuff.

In the film era, from '68 to 2006, when it came to my Pentax cameras, I somehow made do with 3 Pentax bodies. My S1a, ES ll and K1000 (actually my wife's) and aside from some shutter work on the K10D. Yep, I had other camera makes...medium format, 35mm Rangefinder, point + shoot.

For now, I think I'm set, unless something catastrophic happens to this equipment.
09-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Ricoh Imaging USA a.k.a. @PENTAXIAN on Twitter, 'the official Ricoh Imaging USA Twitter page.'

Twitter
Manned by the "Official" Ricoh Imaging low paid intern. Or maybe twitter inquiries go directly to the computer of Ricoh Imaging USAs president and he promptly answers the inquiry. I'll wager thats what happened. Straight from the horse's mouth no doubt.
09-13-2019, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Manned by the "Official" Ricoh Imaging low paid intern.
Without any internal procedures requiring a sign-off on such a statement?

Note that the answer came 21 hours after the question.

09-13-2019, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

Without any internal procedures requiring a sign-off on such a statement?

Are there internal procedures for such things? Have they asked Ricoh Imaging Japan for permission? Was there any meeting to decide on the course of action?

Time isn't an indication of anything; they don't have a full time employee to watch and respond to Twitter.
09-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Works for the POTUS.
And well I might add.
09-13-2019, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a slight possibility that this Ricoh USA employee simply didn't check the Twitter account until Friday morning and decided to respond as he did because if he hadn't received internal notification of "any new cameras" as of September 5th, there was little risk of one being available for purchase in the next 3 months (not everyone realizes that fall officially ends on the winter solstice). Not every corporate Twitter post is as calculated as those from the President of the United States of America and employees sometimes take shortcuts, especially on Friday mornings. However, if this Ricoh USA employee feels secure saying there are no plans for any new cameras this fall, it is very likely that there will not be any new camera models available from Ricoh this fall. After all, why steal any thunder from the GR III and Theta Z? Ricoh Imaging is trying to harvest what business it can from its existing product lines in order to spring forth with bold new initiatives when the days start to get longer.

09-13-2019, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
And well I might add.
People are always talking about "transparency." No politician anywhere has ever been as transparent as the Donald. Like him or hate him, you have to admit that. You know what he's thinking.
09-13-2019, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #99
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks - please, you all know the forum rules with respect to politics. Help us help you
09-13-2019, 10:37 AM - 2 Likes   #100
Pentaxian

Meanwhile, I've got following info from SRS Microsystems (biggest Pentax dealer in the UK) newsletter:

"Pentax event day!
Save the date: Saturday 23rd November
We have a major event with Pentax celebrating their 100th anniversary!
More details coming soon!"

Interestingly, the same dealer does no longer have DA* 16-50 2.8 listed in its web shop.

Hm, hm, hm...
09-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Meanwhile, I've got following info from SRS Microsystems (biggest Pentax dealer in the UK) newsletter:

"Pentax event day!
Save the date: Saturday 23rd November
We have a major event with Pentax celebrating their 100th anniversary!
More details coming soon!"

Interestingly, the same dealer does no longer have DA* 16-50 2.8 listed in its web shop.

Hm, hm, hm...
Everything always happens somewhere else.

I guess it would be too much to ask to have a few of these evens sprinkled around the world. But who knows, may there will be more announcements coming. Is there any mention of cake?

QuoteQuote:
They must have run out.

It's been years since I met a Pentax rep face to face. I'd drive 4 hours for the opportunity.
09-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Why are so many people so desperate for a new camera anyway? What is it you need that you haven't got now, that's so vital that Ricoh should invest the research and development funds necessary to give it to you?
I have been under the assumption that Ricoh was in the business of making cameras and gear. JEZZUS, I must have been wrong all these years.
09-13-2019, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Even developing a new camera model entirely from components bought in from other suppliers involves significant costs. You simply cannot bring a new product to market without a substantial capital investment. So the smart money in the camera business right now is on slowing down the pace of development.

We'll end up with a market similar to the film SLR market in the days of the technology's full maturity (although probably with fewer players). Each camera manufacturer will have a low-cost, easy to use beginner's camera for the casual market, a more advanced model with features that appeal to the hobbyist photographer, and a top-of-the-range beast suitable for professional use. And each of those models will have a shelf life of several years before any replacement comes along.

Pentax will have the extra advantage of a medium format offering too.
With respect, but that is the (current) Pentax world. Other manufacturers, if they are slowing down their Dslr production, it is in large part simply to make way for the transition to mirrorless, like with Nikon and Canon. They have two camera lines to maintain now, and a new lens line to develop, at least until the transition is complete (I shoot the 7DII Dslr now myself though). A fully mirrorless camera maker like Sony is far, far from slowing down on camera releases: the A7R is already on its 4th iteration, the A9II on its way, as is the A7SIII. And look at how Canon is building up its new RF lens line.
Not trying to come down on Pentax, but please keep perspective: Pentax is not investing a lot under Ricoh, and be it good or bad from Pentaxians' perspective, it will not grow Pentax at all...

Last edited by Chris Mak; 09-13-2019 at 11:03 AM.
09-13-2019, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #104
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Not trying to come down on Pentax, but please keep perspective: Pentax is not investing a lot under Ricoh, and be it good or bad from Pentaxians' perspective, it will not grow Pentax at all...

My point is that the money that Canon and Nikon are throwing at all those new cameras and lenses won't grow them either, because the buyers aren't out there. It doesn't matter so much for Sony, because the camera business is just a minor sideline for them.

What I've been trying to say is that deciding not to release so many new cameras and lenses is actually the most profitable strategy in the current market.
09-13-2019, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
I have been under the assumption that Ricoh was in the business of making cameras and gear. JEZZUS, I must have been wrong all these years.
Don't fret, it happens to the best of us.