Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 635 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2019, 07:46 PM - 5 Likes   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
really not too sure how to look at this and the responses so far.
My advice on all of this is to look at it with a Jaundiced Eye simply because no one knows what is happening its just their opinion and everyone has one and most think they are correct......some more than others.

My other advice is to not visit the News and Rumors section very often if you want to retain your sanity!

09-13-2019, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
@PENTAXIAN is the official Ricoh Imaging USA Twitter page
Even if Jared Kushner is the person behind this Twitter account, it is still a pretty safe bet that there aren't "plans for any new cameras this fall.". The Theta Z1 was announced in February, just shipping now. The reason other manufacturers are announcing new models now is to get product moving before camera distributors go into hibernation for December and January. The HD DA 10-17 just made it under the wire for hitting peak buying season. When Panasonic announced the S1R late last September (to be available in 2019), they had already been beaten to the punch by Nikon and Canon. As Bugs Bunny used to say "On with the show, this is it!"
09-14-2019, 12:04 AM   #168
Pentaxian

Maybe not this fall, but this autumn instead?

:-)
09-14-2019, 01:05 AM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"Ricoh/Pentax has no plans to announce a new camera this fall" - Thank you Ricoh. I'm just getting used to my K1ii. No need to be tempted with another body.

Just get that 70-200 f4 out of the door, and some other fine glass in that line.

Last edited by ben-pentax; 09-14-2019 at 01:13 AM.
09-14-2019, 01:09 AM - 4 Likes   #170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For those whose equipment is gradually aging and/or failing, if you need a new APS-c, try the KP. I recently chose that camera over my K-1 because I was able to tote more lenses and liked the size and its IQ.

I ask you all: is it solely that you crave new tech or is it that you don't like the results of your Pentax? I thought the objective here is excellent picture taking. Look at some of the postings here: K-10D photos taken by enthusiasts who know what they are doing, produce excellent shots.

Cameras to me are akin to golf clubs. A friend of mine thinks he can buy a better game simply because some manufacturers produce new clubs annually and he feels he needs the "latest, greatest" equipment. I have been using the same clubs for several years and suit my game well.

Camera tech is still connected to a human end user, and as long as the human variable is present, all the new tech in the world isn't going to catch that "aha" moment, but the user of the camera, despite its vintage and MP power, is the final arbiter of the issue. As long as my Pentax equipment works, I'm satisfied. How about all of you?
09-14-2019, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
I think there's a difference between complaining on Ricoh for what it never promised (like a new K mount camera this year) and complaining on what they did promise (like 70-200 for spring 2019, then changed to 2019 or later, probably going to be 2020 or later...).

Personally I am pretty happy with what I have, but I understand those that chose Pentax not only for what they had, but also for what was promised, and feel disappointed now.
A roadmap is neither a promise nor a contract
09-14-2019, 01:30 AM   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t set much store in this story. Aside from the obvious qualification about the season, the tweet that started this leaves open the possibility that a K-1ii or KP special body could be released this (Northern) autumn – it said no NEW body, after all. It would be a shame if there wasn’t something substantial released to mark the anniversary, though, but a special body would be better than nothing. Platinum or purple seem to be the favoured colours to mark a 100th year – if I had to choose, I wouldn’t suggest purple.

09-14-2019, 01:36 AM   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
As long as my Pentax equipment works, I'm satisfied. How about all of you?
Why did you buy a Pentax K1 II if you were satisfied with Pentax apsc?
09-14-2019, 01:48 AM   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There are people who take action based on what's available and people who whine about things they can't control.
That's quite right - I kn o the pace ofchangeused to e slower anyway, but in the days beforethe internet, I bought a camera and used it until it stopped working or I as sure that Iwaspushing at the barriers of hat it could deliver - I only lookedto se hat else as available at that point. Digital tech changed that for a while as sensors matured,but now the straight (ie not computaional) photographer has as much as they need in a wide range of cameras - the fact that person after person here says that they're not looking for a new camera attests to this. Even Tony Norhrup, when he did a video on hy Sony here taking bites out of the camera market, basically said that their succes was about business strategy, which is creating a demand, not just supplying an existing one.
09-14-2019, 02:43 AM   #175
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax can and will release some new cameras. But they need to be cameras that have real improvements in areas like auto focus tracking and probably video too. It is probably better for them to take their time and get things right than to cobble together something that is a small tweak on the existing camera. Do something that stands out -- a hybrid viewfinder of some kind. Improved shake reduction. Refined performance of the accelerator chip.

Pentaxians always just want "something" even if it wouldn't be enough. Back when the Kx came out, there was a whole group who just wanted "a Kx sensor in a K-7 body." Which in a sense was reasonable because the K-7 really didn't perform very well, either with regard to dynamic range or high iso, but we got the K-5 instead and that was much better.

Pentax is working on things, but it takes time to have the sort of results that we will be happy with in the long run.
09-14-2019, 03:44 AM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
That's quite right - I kn o the pace ofchangeused to e slower anyway, but in the days beforethe internet, I bought a camera and used it until it stopped working or I as sure that Iwaspushing at the barriers of hat it could deliver - I only lookedto se hat else as available at that point. Digital tech changed that for a while as sensors matured,but now the straight (ie not computaional) photographer has as much as they need in a wide range of cameras - the fact that person after person here says that they're not looking for a new camera attests to this. Even Tony Norhrup, when he did a video on hy Sony here taking bites out of the camera market, basically said that their succes was about business strategy, which is creating a demand, not just supplying an existing one.
In the Age of Film, I used my last two cameras over ten years each .... I was more interested in film than in camera bodies; I guess that translates today into interest in sensors and processors. I got a KP last Black Friday - now the main issue for me is a shortage of subjects.
09-14-2019, 03:44 AM   #177
Pentaxian

Wasn't it already many weeks ago that someone told us here there won't be any new cameras this year just a special edition?

With the camera business being such a non-attractive market we all can be happy that Pentax is still there. If I was the CEO of Ricoh or Fuji or Panasonic or Olympus (those companies for whom the digital camera business is just an afterthought) I would have considered shutting it down.
09-14-2019, 04:03 AM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
A roadmap is neither a promise nor a contract
It definitely isn't something to be held legally liable for, I agree. But IMO it does count as a loss of face.

Honestly, when roadmap constantly keeps changing and nothing is delivered on time (or ever, in case of FF fisheye zoom that recently disappeared), what's the point of having it in the first place? Maybe they should add, I dunno, DFA* 600mm F4 and 200 F2, just because they can, and if these never happen, then joke's on you, gullible man?
09-14-2019, 04:10 AM   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I got a KP last Black Friday - now the main issue for me is a shortage of subjects.
sure, you got the KP delivered with a 200 000 shots digital roll, that's like a 5 miles long film roll, it'll take a while to go to the end of that digital roll
09-14-2019, 04:19 AM   #180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
It definitely isn't something to be held legally liable for, I agree. But IMO it does count as a loss of face.

Honestly, when roadmap constantly keeps changing and nothing is delivered on time (or ever, in case of FF fisheye zoom that recently disappeared), what's the point of having it in the first place? Maybe they should add, I dunno, DFA* 600mm F4 and 200 F2, just because they can, and if these never happen, then joke's on you, gullible man?
It is absolutely a loss of face, which is a shame. The disappearance of the FF fisheye is probably due to the overhauling of the 10-17 into "Almost circular on FF". It's a niche enough lens I guess?

For the rest, well, delays. Hopefully the 85/1.4 and the 70-200/4 are great enough to make it worth the extra wait.