Don't stop now!
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Apparently the Ricoh Commandos got him

-Eric
Payed to Play. And still don’t.
09-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #244
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Roadmap has been pulled before, under Hoya, pre-Ricoh acquisition.

09-16-2019, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #245
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fotus Tuus Quote
I would love it to be this way. The noble Pentax deserves to be "suspected" of having such great ability to predict the future.
I doubt it. Canon and Nikon do still make dslr cameras. In fact, Nikon has just announced the D6's development, and Canon just released, side by side with a mirrorless twin, a brandnew dslr that I would have loved to put "Pentax" and "K3 successor" on: the D90 with a brandnew 32,5 mp sensor. It currently ships and first user reviews of this sensor (but also DPreview's review of the mirrorless version M6II) are very positive: "increased resolution with no downsides", and "a big step up in image quality for Canon". The cropping ability of this new sensor is very attractive for wildlife and bird photographers. Instead of lamenting the camera industry's downfall as the reason for Pentax' cease to a near halt with its lens and body releases, and hope for the downfall of other camera makers, why not expect of Pentax to pick up the gauntlet and use their technical expertise to get going making great cameras again. Ricoh's conservatism and lack of true interest in the Pentax brand may well be the main reason for the current situation. I expect the Canon 90D to sell véry well, already being called Canon's best Apsc body ever, and I have no doubt that even now, a Pentax cutting edge Apsc camera would also sell very well.
The fact that the glory days of the digital camera industries are over, does not mean that there is no longer any sense in remaining competitive and innovating as a camera maker. Not making any products anymore, or slowing down pace to a near halt, will certainly not sell cameras.

Last edited by Chris Mak; 09-16-2019 at 02:39 AM.
09-16-2019, 02:33 AM - 2 Likes   #246
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
honestly if we were ever to compare "innovations" or whatever new releases, great things being released.

I believe canon released a 24-70 f/2 zoom. THAT is an amazing feat. I would absolutely love to shoot that. To me, it beats Sony A7mk4 whatever high megapixel iris focusing camera house any day of the week.
It is a 28-70 f2 zoom and it costs 2800 dollars and weighs 1430 grams. Would you really have the funds and the desire to shoot something like that? I shoot with the Pentax DFA 24-70 f2.8 and it weighs 780 grams and it still gets a bit heavy at the end of the day.

Anyway, I'd prefer that Pentax reserve the faster than f2.8 lenses for the primes.
09-16-2019, 02:43 AM   #247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is a 28-70 f2 zoom and it costs 2800 dollars and weighs 1430 grams. Would you really have the funds and the desire to shoot something like that? I shoot with the Pentax DFA 24-70 f2.8 and it weighs 780 grams and it still gets a bit heavy at the end of the day.

Anyway, I'd prefer that Pentax reserve the faster than f2.8 lenses for the primes.
The 28-70 F2 is no doubt a great lens, but if I ever get that thing for free, I'd gladly sell it to make way for a set of the 3 FA Ltds and probably a vacation to a nice photogenic destination in which to use them

IQ doesn't matter if you're too tired to stand still after hauling the thing for hours uphill, I'd say . (Jokes aside, it is a lens that indoors photographers will certainly appreciate, I'm sure).

09-16-2019, 03:07 AM   #248
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The 28-70 F2 is no doubt a great lens, but if I ever get that thing for free, I'd gladly sell it to make way for a set of the 3 FA Ltds and probably a vacation to a nice photogenic destination in which to use them

IQ doesn't matter if you're too tired to stand still after hauling the thing for hours uphill, I'd say . (Jokes aside, it is a lens that indoors photographers will certainly appreciate, I'm sure).
Maybe. I think it is more about having a lens that gets positive press and reviews, even if it doesn't sell many copies. The majority of people who buy it will be wealthy amateurs who just have to have the best, just like Gaston in Beauty and Beast...

The thing is that high iso performance on full frame cameras is good enough that you don't typically need f2 on your standard zoom. If you are shooting sports and need really high shutter speeds, that could be different, but I wouldn't think you could shoot much in the way of sports with a 28-70 lens.
09-16-2019, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was a statement from the company. It was made, I suspect, so that Canon can say "all of you kids shut up because we are still the biggest baddest boys in town and we haven't lost our edge when it comes to pushing lens design". Let's be clear: optically it's a monster, and it's not even as large and heavy as I would think from such a fast zoom considering that 2.8 is already a stretch for those things... props to the designers there.

It's still mighty impractical and I would never use it, though XD
09-16-2019, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #250
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe. I think it is more about having a lens that gets positive press and reviews, even if it doesn't sell many copies.
Isn't it interesting, how such a Canon lens gets positive press and reviews, while our D FA* 50mm f/1.4 gets negative press and reviews?
09-16-2019, 04:10 AM - 2 Likes   #251
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I bought, in succession:
K5
K5IIS
K3
KP
K3II

I bought, in succession:

MX
LX
K10d
K-5

That’s only 4 Pentax SLRs in more than 40 years

(Hoping to buy a K-1mkii within a few months, though)
09-16-2019, 04:12 AM   #252
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Isn't it interesting, how such a Canon lens gets positive press and reviews, while our D FA* 50mm f/1.4 gets negative press and reviews?
I'm using really really tiny Pentax 50 mm 1.7 - designed for full frame.

Funny how this small lens, was designed for FF, and have 1.7 aperture - and not losing any quality - except for maybe vigneting in FF, with darker areas in corners .

--
I hate those BIG boys, because they mean nothing to me after this .

I also bought a Zoom Pentax - also old one, designed for FF, - 35-70 - not fast, not best, but small, and with excellent image quality
09-16-2019, 04:16 AM   #253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote

Funny how this small lens, was designed for FF, and have 1.7 aperture - and not losing any quality - except for maybe vigneting in FF, with darker areas in corners .
I have that lens myself - the FA, to be precise. For its age, it's quite good... yet it sits unused. I also have the D FA*.

There's a good reason why the D FA* is so much larger; why it is a much more complex optical design (and then, there's the ring-type SDM and a higher build quality). You can see it in the image quality it offers; but of course, if the FA is good enough for you, that's great.
I won't say I needed the D FA*; it was rather the irresistible perspective of getting the first truly high-end Pentax design in a long while.
09-16-2019, 04:20 AM   #254
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I have that lens myself - the FA, to be precise. For its age, it's quite good... yet it sits unused. I also have the D FA*.

There's a good reason why the D FA* is so much larger; why it is a much more complex optical design (and then, there's the ring-type SDM and a higher build quality). You can see it in the image quality it offers; but of course, if the FA is good enough for you, that's great.
I won't say I needed the D FA*; it was rather the irresistible perspective of getting the first truly high-end Pentax design in a long while.
The thing with a lens like the D FA* 50/1.4 is, you pretty much know if you want and/or need it. There's definitely a place for it, definitely a market, and from what I can tell, it's found a good number of buyers. Me, I'm still on APS-C format and the FA50/1.4 is ample for my needs - but I can absolutely see why folks invest in the D FA* lens...
09-16-2019, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote

--
I hate those BIG boys, because they mean nothing to me after this .

I also bought a Zoom Pentax - also old one, designed for FF, - 35-70 - not fast, not best, but small, and with excellent image quality
It's such a great little lens (and the M series look aesthetically gorgeous).
Darker areas that with current sensors are very easily lifted... at f 2.8 or smaller you won't get vignetting and at 2 or 1.7 you probably don't want corner detail anyway so you don't care about losing some in post. Aberrations, maybe for critical work it will be problematic, but automatic correction has also come a long long way.