Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 635 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2019, 04:54 AM   #256

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Isn't it interesting, how such a Canon lens gets positive press and reviews, while our D FA* 50mm f/1.4 gets negative press and reviews?
Not sure if it works the same in this industry, but I know the AKC leans heavily towards Labrador retrievers in everything they compete in besides the show ring because that make up the bulk of registered dogs. Perhaps because Canon is still the big dog, so to speak, they'll continuously get good press. Whereas Pentax, being far from its former status, wouldn't matter so much to reviewers.

09-16-2019, 05:05 AM - 2 Likes   #257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The thing with a lens like the D FA* 50/1.4 is, you pretty much know if you want and/or need it. There's definitely a place for it, definitely a market, and from what I can tell, it's found a good number of buyers. Me, I'm still on APS-C format and the FA50/1.4 is ample for my needs - but I can absolutely see why folks invest in the D FA* lens...
It is nice to have both options. I personally shoot with the DA *55 a lot on full frame and it is a nice lens that isn't too expensive, but has decent edge sharpness from f1.8 on. The DFA *50 is better.

It is nice to hit a lot of different price points -- the FA 50 f1.4 at 350, the DA *55 at 650, the DFA *50 at 1000, and the FA 43 at 500. I will say that once you get into the above-2000 dollars for a lens club (aka the Canon EOS R 50 f1.2, 85 f1.2 and 28-70 f2), you weed out a lot of prospective buyers. I know that I couldn't afford any of those lenses -- even if I made my kids eat Ramen Noodles three times a day...

Last edited by Rondec; 09-16-2019 at 05:56 AM.
09-16-2019, 05:26 AM - 2 Likes   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I refuse to spend that much on gear, on the grounds that I don't wanna and that I wouldn't be taking any better pictures anyway.
09-16-2019, 05:47 AM - 2 Likes   #259
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I refuse to spend that much on gear, on the grounds that I don't wanna and that I wouldn't be taking any better pictures anyway.
Good point. I could get away with a lot less than I own. A K-P, 18-135, 55-300, 55 1.4 and 100 macro pretty much covers everything for me these days. Yet I own 20 lenses.

09-16-2019, 06:34 AM   #260
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Good point. I could get away with a lot less than I own. A K-P, 18-135, 55-300, 55 1.4 and 100 macro pretty much covers everything for me these days. Yet I own 20 lenses.
I have three lenses for the KP: a Sigma 10-20mm, the DA 18-135mm and the DA 55-300mm, which is essentially a 77-420mm because a 1.4X TC is "permanently" attached to it. I also have a few aperture-ring lens for my 'crippled' K-30, and some primes I make little use of because they are inconvenient with "APS-C" cameras - my style has slowly changed so a 50mm would be too long for me in many cases even with a "FF" camera. Nothing I want to get rid of right now, but I don't intend to purchase anything, either.
09-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #261
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In order for Pentax to develop a truly “cutting edge” APSc camera they would have needed to start working 3 years ago to develop something that utilizes the capabilities of components that will have been* cutting edge at the time of its release. It is essentially a clean sheet effort to leapfrog the limitations of such embedded technologies as SAFOX. That would necessitate going ‘dark’ for quite some time while they ‘catch up’ with component suppliers’ development roadmaps. All new Pentax systems must work on three platforms and with all new lens electronic interfaces. It’s not just cameras really. It’s the system ‘know how’ of the entire company.

GRlll has a new core Android-based OS, and a different AF algo. Theta X has an OLED display.

Huh. Funny that.

* Future Pluperfect.
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I doubt it. Canon and Nikon do still make dslr cameras. In fact, Nikon has just announced the D6's development, and Canon just released, side by side with a mirrorless twin, a brandnew dslr that I would have loved to put "Pentax" and "K3 successor" on: the D90 with a brandnew 32,5 mp sensor. It currently ships and first user reviews of this sensor (but also DPreview's review of the mirrorless version M6II) are very positive: "increased resolution with no downsides", and "a big step up in image quality for Canon". The cropping ability of this new sensor is very attractive for wildlife and bird photographers. Instead of lamenting the camera industry's downfall as the reason for Pentax' cease to a near halt with its lens and body releases, and hope for the downfall of other camera makers, why not expect of Pentax to pick up the gauntlet and use their technical expertise to get going making great cameras again. Ricoh's conservatism and lack of true interest in the Pentax brand may well be the main reason for the current situation. I expect the Canon 90D to sell véry well, already being called Canon's best Apsc body ever, and I have no doubt that even now, a Pentax cutting edge Apsc camera would also sell very well.
The fact that the glory days of the digital camera industries are over, does not mean that there is no longer any sense in remaining competitive and innovating as a camera maker. Not making any products anymore, or slowing down pace to a near halt, will certainly not sell cameras.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-16-2019 at 08:42 AM.
09-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #262
Pentaxian

I doubt it. Canon and Nikon do still make dslr cameras. In fact, Nikon has just announced the D6's development, and Canon just released, side by side with a mirrorless twin, a brandnew dslr that I would have loved to put "Pentax" and "K3 successor" on: the D90 with a brandnew 32,5 mp sensor. It currently ships and first user reviews of this sensor (but also DPreview's review of the mirrorless version M6II) are very positive: "increased resolution with no downsides", and "a big step up in image quality for Canon". The cropping ability of this new sensor is very attractive for wildlife and bird photographers. Instead of lamenting the camera industry's downfall as the reason for Pentax' cease to a near halt with its lens and body releases, and hope for the downfall of other camera makers, why not expect of Pentax to pick up the gauntlet and use their technical expertise to get going making great cameras again. Ricoh's conservatism and lack of true interest in the Pentax brand may well be the main reason for the current situation. I expect the Canon 90D to sell véry well, already being called Canon's best Apsc body ever, and I have no doubt that even now, a Pentax cutting edge Apsc camera would also sell very well.
The fact that the glory days of the digital camera industries are over, does not mean that there is no longer any sense in remaining competitive and innovating as a camera maker. Not making any products anymore, or slowing down pace to a near halt, will certainly not sell cameras.
I'm sorry Pentax didn't build a K-3iii for those who have stayed with K-3ii, but my KP is plenty leading edge for me - and at the right price!!

09-16-2019, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #263
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm sorry Pentax didn't build a K-3iii for those who have stayed with K-3ii, but my KP is plenty leading edge for me - and at the right price!!
I know *all* about the KP... I had one, great camera if that is what you need.. Not so great if not...
09-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #264
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have three lenses for the KP: a Sigma 10-20mm, the DA 18-135mm and the DA 55-300mm, which is essentially a 77-420mm because a 1.4X TC is "permanently" attached to it. I also have a few aperture-ring lens for my 'crippled' K-30, and some primes I make little use of because they are inconvenient with "APS-C" cameras - my style has slowly changed so a 50mm would be too long for me in many cases even with a "FF" camera. Nothing I want to get rid of right now, but I don't intend to purchase anything, either.
Sorry to go off-topic for a second, but what's your experience with the PLM and the teleconverter? I'm shooting a lot of my kids playing soccer recently with the PLM, and I often wish for a bit more reach. But I don't really want to compromise image quality or autofocus speed very much. On overcast days I'm already pushing ISO to 2000 or so, so losing a stop of light is a concern. And I already miss a fair number of shots because the combination of K-3ii, PLM, and (especially) me isn't always quick enough to focus.

Do you shoot moving objects, or more still life? Have you compared the results with the teleconverter to just cropping?

Feel free to PM if this is going to take the thread too far off topic.
09-16-2019, 11:21 AM - 3 Likes   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know *all* about the KP... I had one, great camera if that is what you need.. Not so great if not...
That can be said for any digital camera ever made and any that ever will be made.
09-16-2019, 01:42 PM - 2 Likes   #266
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Sorry to go off-topic for a second, but what's your experience with the PLM and the teleconverter? I'm shooting a lot of my kids playing soccer recently with the PLM, and I often wish for a bit more reach. But I don't really want to compromise image quality or autofocus speed very much. On overcast days I'm already pushing ISO to 2000 or so, so losing a stop of light is a concern. And I already miss a fair number of shots because the combination of K-3ii, PLM, and (especially) me isn't always quick enough to focus.

Do you shoot moving objects, or more still life? Have you compared the results with the teleconverter to just cropping?

Feel free to PM if this is going to take the thread too far off topic.
When shooting shorebirds, I was using TAv mode with a shutter speed of 1/1000. Depend on sunlight, my ISO ranged from 600 to 6000. Regardless of ISO needed, my KP system focused plenty fast for my needs. I didn't compare the results to cropping.

09-16-2019, 04:24 PM - 3 Likes   #267

Space is cool but I have not been waiting around with a hobbled K50 for 3 years for Ricoh Pentax to do some expensive wooden grips for an unpalatable camera (in my opinion anyway) and almost annual iterations of a selfie stick camera ( although I concede that the GR is cool, although unnecessary for me) I want to buy a performance SLR camera that is comfortable to hold, can handle video at least as good as a 6 year old Cell phone, and can deliver the image quality that got me into Pentax in the first place. I seriously doubt that I am the only one.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
While some sites are gleefully reporting newsworthy subjects like "no Pentax this fall" or "Sigma gave up on Pentax", Imaging Resource...
Theta in space: Ricoh partners with JAXA for out-of-this-world spherical panos
09-16-2019, 05:13 PM - 2 Likes   #268
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

This is going to make Jen fall out of her tree, but I predict Ricoh will not announce a new camera in the winter, either. There we go, blog that!
09-16-2019, 08:38 PM - 3 Likes   #269
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
This is going to make Jen fall out of her tree, but I predict Ricoh will not announce a new camera in the winter, either. There we go, blog that!
That's a risky statement, CP+ 2020 taking place from the 27th of February to the 1st of March. ,
09-16-2019, 08:48 PM - 2 Likes   #270
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
That's a risky statement, CP+ 2020 taking place from the 27th of February to the 1st of March.
As I said earlier. The obvious thing for Ricoh to do would be to show a prototype flagship ASP-C camera during the Centennial celebrations in late 2019 with a release flagged for somewhat later in 2020. And to then show a more complete camera at CP+.

Last edited by BROO; 09-16-2019 at 08:57 PM.