Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2019, 08:59 PM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by revelstoked Quote
Space is cool but I have not been waiting around with a hobbled K50 for 3 years for Ricoh Pentax to do some expensive wooden grips for an unpalatable camera (in my opinion anyway) and almost annual iterations of a selfie stick camera ( although I concede that the GR is cool, although unnecessary for me) I want to buy a performance SLR camera that is comfortable to hold, can handle video at least as good as a 6 year old Cell phone, and can deliver the image quality that got me into Pentax in the first place. I seriously doubt that I am the only one.
So, you consider the KP to be unpalatable??
Too bad you feel that way - for me it is the perfect camera .... it is very comfortable to hold.
It performs very well - delivers very good image quality - for me .... but, then, I have zero interest in video.

09-16-2019, 09:06 PM   #272
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
That's a risky statement, CP+ 2020 taking place from the 27th of February to the 1st of March. ,
Yes, it might come down to those last two days, Mistral. Three, if it's a leap year!
09-16-2019, 09:42 PM - 2 Likes   #273
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have not been waiting around with a hobbled K50 for 3 years....
Any reason you didn't buy a K-3 Mark II three years ago?
09-16-2019, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #274
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Space is cool but I have not been waiting around with a hobbled K50 for 3 years for Ricoh Pentax to do some expensive wooden grips for an unpalatable camera (in my opinion anyway) and almost annual iterations of a selfie stick camera ( although I concede that the GR is cool, although unnecessary for me) I want to buy a performance SLR camera that is comfortable to hold, can handle video at least as good as a 6 year old Cell phone, and can deliver the image quality that got me into Pentax in the first place. I seriously doubt that I am the only one.
As Sandy asks above, is there a reason you didn't opt for a K-3II (either new or lightly used)? The timing would have been about right to get one at a bargain price, and it's one heck of a camera.

"Procrastination is the thief of time", as the saying goes. I can't imagine - and certainly wouldn't recommend - waiting even a year, let alone three, for a camera that hasn't been officially announced, especially if it means shooting with "hobbled" equipment for that duration. With respect, you could have enjoyed three years shooting with a K-3II, then sold it if and when the new body is announced, and you'd only have been out a few hundred dollars in depreciation.

I'm sure you considered that, though... suggesting the K-3II was also unpalatable to you, perhaps? Which leads me to wonder what you expect from the next model. Improved AF? Better high ISO performance? I'd guess so, incrementally at least. Considerably better video? For the relatively few folks here who care about video, I sure hope so, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Pentax has never been competitive for video...

Are you still shooting with a hobbled K-50? For goodness sake, grab yourself a nice, used K-5 / K-3 / K-3II. You'll get most of your money back when you come to sell it!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-17-2019 at 12:45 AM.
09-16-2019, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #275
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I want to buy a performance SLR camera that is comfortable to hold, can handle video at least as good as a 6 year old Cell phone
Before I buy something, I want to make the best buy decision possible, I want to make sure I get as many features as possible for the same amount of money.
So I compare products side by side, and I select the product that checks as many boxes as possible for the same price range.
After I bought the product having the most features for the money, I only use a few features, I never use all the other features that were in the list of features compared between products.
That's why I want Pentax to spend R&D on good video in Pentax DSLR because Sony have it, although I'll never use it.
Why not have 4K video recording feature if I have it for the same price as the other product that don't have it?
I'm a consumer of electronic products

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-16-2019 at 11:30 PM.
09-17-2019, 12:39 AM   #276
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has everyone forgotten that the next Ricoh accounting year starts on 23 July 2023 and ends 496 days earlier? Surely this explains everything.
09-17-2019, 02:13 AM   #277
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
As I said earlier. The obvious thing for Ricoh to do would be to show a prototype flagship ASP-C camera during the Centennial celebrations in late 2019 with a release flagged for somewhat later in 2020. And to then show a more complete camera at CP+.

somehow - I believe that would be the most likely scenario

---------- Post added 09-17-19 at 02:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Any reason you didn't buy a K-3 Mark II three years ago?

Removed flash unit - was a big deal to me, so maybe that was the reason

09-17-2019, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #278
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Get a used camera while you are waiting. A K5 II, K3, K3 II, KP or even a K70 would be a step above what you have right now and would allow you to continue shooting.

The wooden grips are neither here nor there. The sensor performance of the KP is a stop better than your current camera and it isn't that expensive considering the features it offers -- 800 new or 600 used is a decent deal from what I can see.

The reality is that if you buy a used camera for a decent price you can resell it pretty easily when the new flagship comes out and lose minimal funds. At the same time, are you really prepared to plunk down 1500-ish dollars for a new flagship APS-C camera?
09-17-2019, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #279
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
Removed flash unit - was a big deal to me, so maybe that was the reason
Then a lightly-used K-3 becomes the obvious choice... with flash, but no GPS or pixel-shift.
09-17-2019, 03:12 AM - 3 Likes   #280
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Then a lightly-used K-3 becomes the obvious choice... with flash, but no GPS or pixel-shift.
There are a bunch of cameras that could be reasonably priced that would be better than a non-functional K50.

I hate to judge, but I don't see someone who is unwilling to upgrade their K50 for any of the current options (used or new) on the market as truly being interested in a new, expensive APS-C camera.
09-17-2019, 03:19 AM - 3 Likes   #281
bxf
Veteran Member

I Just finished reading page 7 of this thread, and I can see that there are at least 17 pages.

Is it possible that there is more talk about "no new camera" than there would have been if there was one?
09-17-2019, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #282

Agreed.. I really wanted to like it, even actually tracked one down in store (no mean feat here in Western Canada!) But I just couldn't get behind the ergonomics. If it had felt better I probably would have justified the lacking video and dial quirks... Although, I would have probably sobered to it later. It sure does look nice though...
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, you consider the KP to be unpalatable??
Too bad you feel that way - for me it is the perfect camera .... it is very comfortable to hold.
It performs very well - delivers very good image quality - for me .... but, then, I have zero interest in video.
09-17-2019, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #283
Pentaxian

Agreed.. I really wanted to like it, even actually tracked one down in store (no mean feat here in Western Canada!) But I just couldn't get behind the ergonomics. If it had felt better I probably would have justified the lacking video and dial quirks... Although, I would have probably sobered to it later. It sure does look nice though...
you don't have to buy anything - if that doesn't satisfied you.

I was also almost skip back to MFT and buy OMD-M1-II, but I was pushed away, by really expensive lens - and a bokeh thing.

Since I already invest my money into Pentax Lens, the decision was to buy a KP, at reasonable price. And I got one for 800 dollars, one year ago.

---
It's not quite what I wanted, but it's surelly better than Oly for the price, and image quality is beyond amazing in high ISo.

------

But that was me, and I was feeling I need the second camera, because I shoot pro stuffs, and I need backup camera.

------

I was also in the "wait train" - and I pulled the break, step down, and buy KP.

My thougts was like :

"Knowing Pentax, there will be no any new camera soon, and better take KP, while is still here at my local dealer"

which give me discount anyway.

And you tell me,
was I wrong - about new camera releasing ?

NO.

Last edited by panonski; 09-17-2019 at 03:58 AM.
09-17-2019, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #284
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I Just finished reading page 7 of this thread, and I can see that there are at least 17 pages.

Is it possible that there is more talk about "no new camera" than there would have been if there was one?
Of course not. If there had been a new camera, there would be multiple threads about how Pentax is doomed because it didn’t have 12K video or wasn’t mirrorless or whatever...

This is nothing

-Eric
09-17-2019, 05:27 AM   #285
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, it might come down to those last two days, Mistral. Three, if it's a leap year!
2020 is divisible by 4, so yes it's a leap year.