Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 635 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2019, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #346
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Next year you can submit to the Borg, buy an iPhone with three lenses, and capture 99% of the images that 99.9% of photographers ever make. Just don’t try a moon shot or astro or macro or strobist.
but I could never get even a fraction of the photographs I take, because many of them involve motion, and current smart phone technology handles motion very poorly. For example, on {US} Labor Day weekend, my family visited the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn MI. One day I just rode around and around on the train - I didn't feel like doing anything else - so my wife stood at the main station to photograph me as I went by. She had already noticed that our iPhones take time to acquire focus, so she decided to "press the button" as a person two rows ahead of me entered her screen .... and her photo almost missed me even at the relatively slow speed of the train as it left the station.

09-18-2019, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #347
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The worst case scenario for people heavily invested in the K -mount would be for Pentax to stop manufacturing cameras. If this was to happen and my K-1 failed I could find a second hand Pentax K-1 or I could simply purchase a suitable mirrorless camera from another brand and a K- mount adaptor. So guess how worried I am about Pentax and the possibility of them failing? That Panasonic Lumix S1 looks pretty good!
09-18-2019, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #348
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Any customer of any product (cameras, lenses, cars, whatever...) will have that problem when purchasing a product shortly before it's commercial end-of-life. Fuji customers who bought an XT1 and like the focus aid button and have their XT1 fail, can't replace it with a new XT1 body because Fuji discontinued the XT1, and can't be replaced by an XT2 or XT2 or X-H1 because those model don't have the focus aid button.
The solution to that problem for ILC cameras is either to buy a newer camera model (the current Pentax apsc top of the line apsc camera is the Pentax KP), or to buy a back-up camera body of the same model.
I have bought a Pentax K1 Mk II as a backup to my Pentax K1. If the Pentax K1 fails, I'll use the Pentax K1 II regardless of what Ricoh does with Pentax.
The problems is that many avid K-3ii users believe that there is currently no legitimate K-7/5/3 replacement on the shelves.
09-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #349
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Next year you can submit to the Borg, buy an iPhone with three lenses, and capture 99% of the images that 99.9% of photographers ever make. Just don’t try a moon shot or astro or macro or strobist.
The Pixel 4 is rumoured to have an astro mode.....

09-18-2019, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #350

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Welp, i can kinda do Astro with my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2. Just don't expect it to do it well, but you can pick some stars, maybe an overexposed moon, and not much more.
Did i already mention that the Huawei P30 Pro Moon Mode puts a DSLR-captured moon on top of the phone's captured moon?
09-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #351
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Actually, you can do strobist with a Godox X2T trigger, a Godox X Flash/Strobe and the Godox Smartphone app.
09-18-2019, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #352
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
Welp, i can kinda do Astro with my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2. Just don't expect it to do it well, but you can pick some stars, maybe an overexposed moon, and not much more.
Did i already mention that the Huawei P30 Pro Moon Mode puts a DSLR-captured moon on top of the phone's captured moon?
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Actually, you can do strobist with a Godox X2T trigger, a Godox X Flash/Strobe and the Godox Smartphone app.
With a gimbal you can actually get a stable platform, too.

09-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #353
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don't know, the camera company who have kept the same mount for long aren't having lots of market share in $ amount. It's nice to allow customers to upgrade cameras without having to buy new lenses, but there's also a downside that doing so doesn't generate enough revenues from the lenses, which would explain why Ricoh wasn't in a hurry to release a DFA 20mm, DFA 85mm or DFA 70-200 f4 zoom. The sum of customers using FA lens on their K1 cameras will reduce the market for a new lens. Ricoh released the DFA*70-200, based on sales of that lens vs number of K1 bodies sold, they may have revised their plans for new DFA lenses.

---------- Post added 18-09-19 at 23:07 ----------

Any customer of any product (cameras, lenses, cars, whatever...) will have that problem when purchasing a product shortly before it's commercial end-of-life. Fuji customers who bought an XT1 and like the focus aid button and have their XT1 fail, can't replace it with a new XT1 body because Fuji discontinued the XT1, and can't be replaced by an XT2 or XT2 or X-H1 because those model don't have the focus aid button.
The solution to that problem for ILC cameras is either to buy a newer camera model (the current Pentax apsc top of the line apsc camera is the Pentax KP), or to buy a back-up camera body of the same model.
I have bought a Pentax K1 Mk II as a backup to my Pentax K1. If the Pentax K1 fails, I'll use the Pentax K1 II regardless of what Ricoh does with Pentax.

That's not a problem in itself, unless your desire to have a higher burst rate camera was awaken by the Nikon D500. If you get a D500, don't forget to buy two of them (if not already discontinued without replacement by Nikon).
I can't tell if you are being deliberately obtuse or not. The point isn't to have an identical replacement, but to have a suitable one - and that usually includes a newer model with more capability or more features.

* BTW, Fuji's "focus assist" was relocated to the rear scroll wheel.
09-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #354
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The problems is that many avid K-3ii users believe that there is currently no legitimate K-7/5/3 replacement on the shelves.
This is it, in a nutshell. Should the unthinkable happen and I have to look at other brands, the KP + battery grip will still be an option. I'd prefer to stick to APS-C, I'd prefer to avoid Canon & Sony, and it's possible that the KP + grip, although smaller than I'd like, would be no worse in terms of comfort and handling than other options outside of the Nikon D500... which I really don't want, either.
09-18-2019, 05:12 PM - 2 Likes   #355
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Can you get Fullers ESB in America? Cool. Is it imported or brewed under license?
I can...in fact did at lunch time today

Assume that it is imported. Seattle is a beer town, though. I'm not sure I could get it just anywhere. We also have about 1,000,000 local and regional breweries, but over-hopped IPAs are the passion and I prefer a nice, semi-flat, close to room temp bitter.
09-18-2019, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #356
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
This is it, in a nutshell. Should the unthinkable happen and I have to look at other brands, the KP + battery grip will still be an option. I'd prefer to stick to APS-C, I'd prefer to avoid Canon & Sony, and it's possible that the KP + grip, although smaller than I'd like, would be no worse in terms of comfort and handling than other options outside of the Nikon D500... which I really don't want, either.
That combination would be pretty good if it had 2 card slots and a larger buffer. Otherwise the KP is a fabulous camera. *

* now there will be a litany of things the KP doesn’t have or do, but have no fear. The camera everyone wishes for is coming.
09-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #357
Pentaxian

My tripod does not seem to be up to the task
Did you use live view? It makes a humongous difference.
09-18-2019, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #358
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Did you use live view? It makes a humongous difference.
Yeah, I did. The tripod is not great at suppressing vibrations with all that heavy gear, so I still need to shoot at 1/350s or faster. My focus still might be off slightly as things shift around a bit. I just gotta keep working at it.
09-18-2019, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #359
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That combination would be pretty good if it had 2 card slots and a larger buffer. Otherwise the KP is a fabulous camera. *

* now there will be a litany of things the KP doesn’t have or do, but have no fear. The camera everyone wishes for is coming.
I'd love a KP imaging pipeline in a K-1 body.

I'm just feeling a bit impatient, which is actually kinda dumb on my part because I have no intention of ditching my K-3 II anytime soon, and I have no qualms about its durability. Whatever happens, all will be well. What we Forumers are whining and quibbling about are First World Problems.
09-18-2019, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #360
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What we Forumers are whining and quibbling about are First World Problems.
Like what type of cheese is best for certain wines.