Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 635 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2019, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #406
Pentaxian

They don't need to say anything, yet they keep saying the same thing:
QuoteQuote:
Q: Last year, you indicated that a new advanced APS-C DSLR (i.e. K-3 successor) was in development. Do you have any updates to share on this project?

A: It’s in development. It is being developed as the highest (flagship) model in the APS-C lineup. Although we cannot provide specific information such as specifications or a release date, it is planned to be a very attractive product for current K-3 users.
Source: CP+ 2019 Pentax Interview - CP+ 2019 | PentaxForums.com

09-19-2019, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #407
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh doesn’t need to say anything.
But they have spoken, that is the point.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Judging by the series of tweets he posted in the afternoon, Kimio Tanaka wasn't exactly pleased with the outcome of his on-stage interview and the answers he received today.

The successor to K-3 II is still said to be under development. It's expected to be released next year. It's said to be worth waiting for.
09-19-2019, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #408
Pentaxian

Right.

So, they're on record saying it's in development and it will be an ASP-C Flagship (not for the first time) and we have forum members saying that the line was discontinued.

I think I'll just unsubscribe from this thread and go shoot the rest of the roll of Porta 160 I started this month.
09-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #409
Pentaxian

Remember also what was said during the public interviews of Tetsuya Iwasaki (Manager of the Second Product Planning Section, Product Management Department, Product Strategy Division) by Kimio Tanaka during CP+.

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
(...)

The interview with Kimio Tanaka was with Iwasaki-san, but when he started talking about the APS-C, he called up Shigeru Wakashiro from the crowd and shoved the mic in his hand. This was completely to Wakashiro-san's surprise, but he played along and spoke for a few minutes. (...)
(Shigeru Wakashiro is (at least was until mid-2016 and probably still is) the General Manager of the Product Planning Department, Product Strategy Division, i.e. Tetsuya Iwasaki's boss.)

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
(...)

He mentioned that the K-7, K-5, K-3 progression cameras were considered high-end APS-C cameras, but when compared to other companies’ models, they were at the lower end of the segment. Now that the KP has taken the line in one direction, that leaves them to really make a top-class APS-C camera. If I understood correctly, it’s going to have a new processor, sensor with a different resolution - so no "KP tech in a K-3 body".

Having said that, the size will be the same as the K-3, and the body will be very familiar to K-3 owners. Obviously Tanaka-san knows about this camera more than he is letting on, and he told the audience that he had urged them to show a model or even just a silhouette at the show. However, they had told him that even showing a silhouette would reveal something about the camera they are not ready to reveal.

In terms of timeline, they were very unclear, but it seems like it is not coming in the next few months. Maybe right at the end of the year of early next.

(...)
For those who prefer it straight from the horse's mouth and understand Japanese:

09-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #410
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Need they say more?
09-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #411
Pentaxian

Need they say more?
now they need to do
09-19-2019, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Remember also what was said during the public interviews of Tetsuya Iwasaki (Manager of the Second Product Planning Section, Product Management Department, Product Strategy Division) by Kimio Tanaka during CP+.

(Shigeru Wakashiro is (at least was until mid-2016 and probably still is) the General Manager of the Product Planning Department, Product Strategy Division, i.e. Tetsuya Iwasaki's boss.)

For those who prefer it straight from the horse's mouth and understand Japanese:

CP+2019??????????????????????????GR????? - YouTube
And mine as well. I’ve said many times the LX was released the year after the 60th Anniversary, when they had finished it.

The camera is coming when it is finished, not before, not rushed to meet a date on the calendar and not a half-baked job to fill a blank page in the catalog. They’ve said it is coming, members in Japan have said it is coming, so why castigate them for having an empty ‘spot’?

Be patient, encourage others to be patient and use what you have, not what you dream about.

09-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #413
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

now they need to do
No, they don’t. They have spoken.

And for the general good I’m out.
09-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #414
Pentaxian

No, they don’t. They have spoken.
They are not God.
Their words alone do not create substance.
They need to create substance while anyone still cares
09-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #415
Veteran Member

What I understand
K7/5/3 was the flagship for Pentax in APSC but not in the APSC Market. It's was lower end versus Nikon and Canon flagship

The KP is replacing that K7/5/3 in the rank but it's not their flagship. The new flagship of APSC for Pentax will also fight to be the best APSC of all brand
09-19-2019, 05:52 PM - 2 Likes   #416
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are not God.
Their words alone do not create substance.
They need to create substance while anyone still cares
So, would you feel better if they released the blueprints? A prototype?

Designers and manufacturers don't work that way. It gives the opposition too much information prior to release of the product.
You'll simply have to be patient. Or not. That part is up to you.

They don't have to do anything other than do what they said they're doing, which is working to create a new APS-C DSLR which will be familiar in feel to the K-3 but, at the same time, will allow the taking of better pictures than any Pentax APS-C DSLR to date.
09-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #417
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
So, would you feel better if they released the blueprints? A prototype?

Designers and manufacturers don't work that way. It gives the opposition too much information prior to release of the product.
You'll simply have to be patient. Or not. That part is up to you.

They don't have to do anything other than do what they said they're doing, which is working to create a new APS-C DSLR which will be familiar in feel to the K-3 but, at the same time, will allow the taking of better pictures than any Pentax APS-C DSLR to date.
I am perfectly satisfied myself.

I understand those who have waited and waited and waited and still have nothing, not even 'old' merchandise available for sale, and I am bothered by those who seem to feel that this is normal behavior, that nothing is "missing". If I were a K-3ii user, I would be looking over other brands right now. It will be sad if that money leaves just because Ricoh/Pentax has taken such a long time time to develop anything new.
09-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #418
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
we should stop talking about it, already.
Yes. We really should.
09-19-2019, 06:20 PM - 2 Likes   #419
Pentaxian

Interesting.

The K series digital SLR camera currently under development will be exhibited at the "PENTAX Meeting 100th Anniversary Special" scheduled to be held Japan from September 21st.

Comments should probably go into the respective news thread.

Last edited by Class A; 09-19-2019 at 06:59 PM.
09-19-2019, 06:25 PM - 2 Likes   #420
Veteran Member

Strange coincidence, the forum will burn tomorrow....