Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax CX or Pentax XC?

11-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #722
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or K-4, this might explain Tanaka’s comment about what he may have seen under the tape
11-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #723
Pentaxian

I doubt M was for Manual. There wasn't anything more manual in the M bodies and lenses than in the K ones.

If it had any specific meaning the M was probably meant to point out the reduced size of the cameras and lenses : M for Mini.

Olympus didn't do any differently with their M series that they had to rename OM as demanded by Leica.
11-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #724
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
As I've said before, the exclusive use of K-anything is only a recent (or recently reinstigated) tradition, the cameras used to be named for a salient or new feature, which included K, but also Spotmatic, M(anual), A(utomatic), Z(oom), P(rogramme?), *ist - LX was an outlier, and the new camera could also be for the centenary, but it might mark a new line named after something we don't know about
I agree with your ‘recent’ comment. My first Pentax was an “ME SE” ... at the time I understood the ‘M’ class to be named after the ‘M’ lenses, which were ‘mini’ {smaller and lighter than the ‘K’ lenses which preceded them}, and “SE” stood for “special edition” - brown leather. My second Pentax was one of the ‘auto’ cameras {body could control aperture}, “Super Program”.

11-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #725
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having only been in the Pentax universe since 2004, I am not familiar with these terms. However, now being solidly invested in the 'K' System, I am hopeful that the new APS-c camera that was teased a couple months ago is a true upgrade. Even though Ricoh/Pentax has a small segment of the market, the K-3/ii series users who did not like the KP will flood in and buy this new offering. As it is, Pentax continues to offer build quality and value in the marketplace.
11-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #726
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since you are talking about naming conventions...

645 Pentax = CliKZ
Full Frame = Pentax Ricoh CliK
APS-C = Pentax Ricoh CliC
Pentax Q = Ricoh CliQ

done...
11-21-2019, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #727
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ggascay Quote
Since you are talking about naming conventions...

645 Pentax = CliKZ
Full Frame = Pentax Ricoh CliK
APS-C = Pentax Ricoh CliC
Pentax Q = Ricoh CliQ

done...
Or maybe just the Pentax K-3 mark III? Sounds nice.

11-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #728
Pentaxian

It cannot be, since the body has drastically changed.
11-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #729
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no issue with a k-33 either (denotes next gen body style. I agree with Zygonyx that with the new body style, a new marque has to be created.
11-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #730
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fotus Tuus Quote
Or maybe just the Pentax K-3 mark III? Sounds nice.
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
It cannot be, since the body has drastically changed.
Since the styling has gone in the direction of the KP, but retained the general size and form of the K-3, it could be the K-3P. No?
11-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #731
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Since the styling has gone in the direction of the KP, but retained the general size and form of the K-3, it could be the K-3P. No?
I think they will get rid off K3 naming just to make it clear there is a big difference between K3 platform and Knew
11-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #732
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I think they will get rid off K3 naming just to make it clear there is a big difference between K3 platform and Knew
I concur with this. However, a surprise is not to be excluded.
11-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #733
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm more inclined towards a surprise in the naming. The K + single digit number are either taken (K1,K3,K5, K7), likely reserved for full-frame (K2), or of some question for other reasons (K4, K9). Probably won't know for sure until right before CP+. Tanaka my have seen a trial name or a blank space, he couldn't elaborate.
11-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I think it probably is a fundamentally new platform, else why did it take so long - so yes, probably a new naming convention.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I concur with this. However, a surprise is not to be excluded.
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
I'm more inclined towards a surprise in the naming. The K + single digit number are either taken (K1,K3,K5, K7), likely reserved for full-frame (K2), or of some question for other reasons (K4, K9). Probably won't know for sure until right before CP+. Tanaka my have seen a trial name or a blank space, he couldn't elaborate.
There is another possibility. LX was ther only L designated body, so a one-off is possible.
11-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #735
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think it probably is a fundamentally new platform, else why did it take so long - so yes, probably a new naming convention.

There is another possibility. LX was ther only L designated body, so a one-off is possible.
The LX was a 60th anniversary model, for the 100th anniversary a model name of M would be in order. Too many conflicts to just go with M and a number, K-M was already used so there would have to be a 3 character (or more) or different naming convention.